Sign in to follow this  
boeboehm

FZ-07 Engine Weight

boeboehm
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and don't actually own my own FZ-07 but am very interested in getting an engine from one for a project car/weekend racer I am building. I was wondering if anyone has weighed the engine out of their bike and if so what did it weigh.Thanks.
-Brian

Beemer
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and don't actually own my own FZ-07 but am very interested in getting an engine from one for a project car/weekend racer I am building. I was wondering if anyone has weighed the engine out of their bike and if so what did it weigh.Thanks. -Brian
I can't help you with that but I sure would love to see an FZ-07 engine slapped into a small, light, one person sand rail. I think the engine would be good in something like that with it's torque/power combo. Put up pics of whatever you do. GL!

Beemer

boeboehm
Thanks, I am also actually looking at this engine to put in an FSAE car, we have narrowed down to a few choices and one of the big determining factors is weight, but unfortunately engine weights seem to be a hard thing to find.

Allan
Call Yamaha and ask. The worst they can tell you is the same thing we are saying but they have a better shot of knowing iver us.

yamahazaki
According to a previous topic, an FZ07 engine was listed on ebay and it was listed at 52 kg without the headers which is 114.64lbs. I guess that sounds about right?

versysrider
I read somewhere on ADV Rider that it weighed 125 lbs., maybe that was with headers and oil.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

chuckles
Thanks, I am also actually looking at this engine to put in an FSAE car, we have narrowed down to a few choices and one of the big determining factors is weight, but unfortunately engine weights seem to be a hard thing to find.
Did they change the FSAE rules? When I built my car for the 13' competition it was 600CC max, we went with a Yamaha Phazer engine. 

boeboehm
For the 2017 rules and going forward the cc limit has increased to 710cc. We currently run a turbocharged Yamaha WR450 and are exploring new options available due to the rule change.

chuckles
For the 2017 rules and going forward the cc limit has increased to 710cc. We currently run a turbocharged Yamaha WR450 and are exploring new options available due to the rule change.
Ah very nice! Did they keep the throttle body restriction the same diameter? What kind of HP and torque were you getting out the the WR450 while restricted? 

Edit
Try sending a message to these two guys they should have the shipped weight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-YAMAHA-FZ07-FZ-07-ENGINE-MOTOR-628-MILES-/381667038486?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Yamaha-FZ07-FZ-07-FZ-07-Engine-Motor-4316-miles/162206852759?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39798%26meid%3D6c4570869e4745c9ae2b05e9fdc40ba1%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D381667038486

boeboehm
The restrictor rules have stayed the same.  The highest we've made off the WR is 65hp (during which we blew up the engine, bending the rod and other nasty stuff), currently making mid fifties.  Hoping to adjust a few things to let us get back to 65 safely.  Also I have contacted both those sellers on ebay to no avail.

chuckles
Not bad, I think stock was around 50 unrestricted. So you guys are doing well, how much boost are you getting out of the turbo?

boeboehm
It makes about 42whp stock.  We are currently running about 9 or 10 psi of boost.