The MT-07 Forum

Weight of engine alone

chaznagel408

chaznagel408

Howdy all I'm a student at Texas A&M university in Texas and am a member of the Fsae team which is a team that builds a race car from scratch one of the rule is that we use an engine below 710cc and is a four stroke. I was tasked with finding an engine that fits these rules and is as light as possible. Came across the FZ07 and I was wondering if anyone knows the weight of the engine(including transmission, headers, etc... DONT include the pipe if at all possible I understand if that is not possible) alone wet and dry if possible
Thanks and gig' em

Guest Ralph

No idea on weight though the full bike weighs 165kg, but unless theres a reason
not to you will do better for racing with a R6 or sporting 4 cylinder engine,
sidecar racers with 600 4cylinders are averaging 113 mph round the TT course
pulling 2 crew and about 8 gall of fuel, ok they only have 3 wheels but
you will get more hp from a standard R6 600 than you will ever get out of
a twin.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

If your looking for something with a lower rpm power band the fz motor will be better. I think it's a little lighter than a 600 but the 600 makes more power.

I see your looking into power to weight ratios but I agree with Ralph you will be better with a r6 motor or a honda cbr600 motor. But if your team feels you will be operating mostly in the lower rpm range the fz may make more power there. It all depends on how you want to gear it.

To answer your question I don't know what it weighs and I'm not sure where to find that information. I can look in the shop manual but I doubt it's listed at all.

Is it for Baja or road course? Depending on the driver, the FZ torque may be more important than ultimate HP. YMMV and that's why FSAE is so great. I'll bet there's somebody at Yamaha who would love to give you detailed information.

chaznagel408

So a few things we have to pull all the air for the engine through a 20mm restrictor which means the r6 reaches choke flow at 11000 rpm that's why I'm looking at the fz07 because of the tourque down low if I can set it up right I think I could make the fz07 more efficient t for my team and drop a few pounds

• Global Moderator

I would recommend reaching out to yamaha.
Their engineering dept is actually quite helpful... and only slightly accented

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I would recommend reaching out to yamaha. Their engineering dept is actually quite helpful... and only slightly accented
Hey, there might even be an internship in it down the road.. 
You're obviously the sort of guy they might want on their side.  Do well and there's good publicity for them, too.

• Global Moderator
I would recommend reaching out to yamaha. Their engineering dept is actually quite helpful... and only slightly accented
Hey, there might even be an internship in it down the road.. 
You're obviously the sort of guy they might want on their side.  Do well and there's good publicity for them, too.

I need the degree first...
which down the road?
honeywell?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

What a cool and interesting project, so I disassembled my FZ .... OK, not really, but keep us posted.

I need the degree first... which down the road?
honeywell?
Oops.  I meant the FSAE kid.  A&M is a great credential.  Get yours somewhere and your skills will be valued a lot more. 

• Premium Member

I wish this lad all the BEST, certainly... but as it turns out, I taught for over 30 years at an engineering school and found a lot of "projects" going on, but few really came to fruition. Good experience for the kids though: research, some development--sometimes, and occasionally doing something with it all. What I learned from my meager interactions from "across campus" was that the main thrust was what would bring in BUCKS!!!

• Premium Member
I wish this lad all the BEST, certainly... but as it turns out, I taught for over 30 years at an engineering school and found a lot of "projects" going on, but few really came to fruition. Good experience for the kids though: research, some development--sometimes, and occasionally doing something with it all. What I learned from my meager interactions from "across campus" was that the main thrust was what would bring in BUCKS!!!
Sorry for the folks you taught, but that's okay.  My daughter got her PhD from Harvard doing research that brought in big bucks for the school and contributed to a LOT of ongoing development in bio-mechanics.  The Big Dog project paid for a lot of her way towards her PhD and now she makes a living doing R&D for things related to robotics, evolutionary biology, and even prosthesis.  BTW, I have no money or brains, so it is proof a person can do it on their own. (yea.. I'm proud of her). 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

I'm genuinely glad to hear about your daughter, rowdy; unfortunately many universities, especially public ones, are not Harvards.

• Premium Member

Duke 690 motor or ninja 636 motor...to bad a gsxr 750 is too big...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Guest Ralph

My daughter got her PhD from Harvard doing research that brought in big bucks for the school and contributed to a LOT of ongoing development in bio-mechanics.  The Big Dog project paid for a lot of her way towards her PhD and now she makes a living doing R&D for things related to robotics, evolutionary biology, and even prosthesis.  BTW, I have no money or brains, so it is proof a person can do it on their own. (yea.. I'm proud of her).
And so you should be great stuff.

The 20mm re-strictor will be a killer. See my forum contribution on derestricting the Aussie MT07. The bike comes with 31mm restrictors built in to the bike stock. That reduces the crossection area to 40% of the throttle bodies and reduces the HP from 65 to 54 ( dynoed rear wheel).
Is that 20mm restrictor a single restrictor or per cyl?
If it is per cyl you might want to consider lower rpm torque point motors that don't draw as much air per inlet slug.
The MT inlet ports would have to be built up a huge amount to keep the air speed. You might need something with small port crossection to make it easier to flow it.
Considered the v4 400cc honda motor? 32mm throttle bodies. Good torque. The older VF motor probably be even better than the VFR and RVF's as more torque and uses 27mm carbs, so the restrictor will be less of a problem. Easy to flow it smoothly from 20 to 27mm. Beautiful motor ( in my opinion one of the great motors of all time). Retune it for torque even lower rpm and the airflow will be even less of a problem.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

chaznagel408

All air has to be pulled through one 20 mm restrictor unforently can't have it on each throttle body or I'd do that in a heart beat and as for cabartors I need to use fuel injectors because there is an efficiency aspect to the competition and I need to be able to make a fuel map that can adjust to accommodate track conditions

Do you need a motor? I have one you might be interested in. I'm not far from college station either. Needs an oil pan.

The VF will be pulling air through the hole one cyl at a time so a single restrictor should have not a huge effect. Might actually help keep the air momentum in the inlets up and effectively increase the volume/time through the restrictor. I haven't even done a flow map but I am willing to bet that a 20mm wellshaped hole will feed 4 100cc cyls with the V config . Only overlap of the 90deg section and in the flow already started. The other two don't start flowing until 270deg later so will not restrict the other bank at all.
It may have carbs BUT where is your sense of engineering adventure. Get two ecu's and injection systems from injected VTR250's. Make it a parallel vtwin four... Sounds like a plan to me. But then I am wierd

chaznagel408
Do you need a motor? I have one you might be interested in. I'm not far from college station either. Needs an oil pan.

What is the engine and could you give me an accurate weight

chaznagel408
The VF will be pulling air through the hole one cyl at a time so a single restrictor should have not a huge effect. Might actually help keep the air momentum in the inlets up and effectively increase the volume/time through the restrictor. I haven't even done a flow map but I am willing to bet that a 20mm wellshaped hole will feed 4 100cc cyls with the V config . Only overlap of the 90deg section and in the flow already started. The other two don't start flowing until 270deg later so will not restrict the other bank at all. It may have carbs BUT where is your sense of engineering adventure. Get two ecu's and injection systems from injected VTR250's. Make it a parallel vtwin four... Sounds like a plan to me. But then I am wierd

I was looking at making something called a plenum which is a wide cylinder shaped inlet that will speed up the air flow due to low pressure vs high pressure I could turn this in to mix chamber and bypass the carbs maybe

With the bikes I raced in 250 Prod we had a "no airbox mod" rules BUT the air inlet or snorkel could be removed or modified. On the VTR and CBR250 They had VERY small inlet made even smaller by being taken up by some to the rubber material of the snorkel. What I did in both cases was to remove the snorkel and flush mount ( ie so the new inlet tract was the actual size of the hole) and make a flared inlet facing forward under the front of the tank. I had heaps of pics but I seem to have lost them. I lifted the tank an inch and had a full width of the tank by 25mm height inside carbonfibre "horn". Stock inlet snorkel hole was about 2sq" , actual plate hole with the stock snorkel removed in the front of the airbox was about 3sq" but the inlet of the horn was about 12sq" and had a radiussed edge. It smooth tapered back to a sealed joint so effectively was able to "ram" much more air through the oriface. ie a plenum.

Archived