The MT-07 Forum

Problems getting key into ignition keyhole for anyone?

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

At first I tried to make this sound PG and then I gave up - this is difficult to write without sound euphemistic to various sex acts, so please bear with me :))

Ever since maybe 1000 miles I have noticed that I have a hard time getting the key into the ignition keyhole on this bike. It doesn't slide in and out like any other key I have used. Half the time to get it in, I have to put it in halfway, jiggle it around a bit, and then really jam it in there. It is hard to pull out as well. Lots of times it will go in like 85% of the way and then it is like it is hitting a wall.

I have had the bike for about 7000 miles since October and close to 6000 of those have been in the rain. It is garaged at home but sometimes gets left in the rain at work. I might think this is a factor but I have never had this issue with other bikes left in the rain.

I have tried putting graphite powder in the slot which loosens it up for a day or so but I can't seem to remedy this issue further. Anyone else have this problem?

bmwpowere36m3

Seems like it's hit or miss for me... sometimes it goes in fine, sometimes I have to really wiggle it and other times its difficult to remove. However I wouldn't say it happens too often.

I don't keep my bike outside, only been rained on once and never ride it in downpours. I think it's just "cheap", like the rest of the bike. Corners were cut certain parts.... my '86 Kawasaki has been used and ridden in all types of conditions, the key still goes in silky smooth. Just like the handlebar controls, the button action is smoother and solid on the Kawasaki.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

LMAO - sorry. No issues here but I rarely ride in the rain and Her Nimbleness is always garaged.

Illegitimi non carborundum

They do seem to be a tight fit. I just spray some wd40 or teflon dry lube in it once in a while.
I second the WD40 solution. I have ridden on some downpours and many time under rainy conditions (I am a masochist for rain riding, love the relation bike, rider, extreme elements).
I did spray some WD40 on the key hole after some riders experienced that issue (a year ago). Its cheap and an easy fix. So I never had that key problem.

I noticed on my ignition that the top cap with the flap can rotate out of alignment with the key core. They key will go in a little bit and just rotate until you line it back up.

I do notice a bit of hesitation when I try inserting my screwdriver... erm I meant key, in the ignition  :P

I have ~4000 miles on mine, and the key goes in without a problem, if I make sure the key is inline with the ignition. If its off by a reasonable amount, I do notice this hang up you're describing.

On all my previous motorcycles and cars I've driven you could practically insert the key perpendicular to the ignition and it would go in fine. With the FZ I have to be a bit more deliberate. Maybe it's just a little awkward reaching behind the instrument gauge? 

There was a thread that showed how easily our keys are bent. Maybe you're key is a bit bent and that's making this a common issue?

http://fz07.org/thread/3258/replace-motorcycle-keys

YEah, seems that little cover doesn't want to move out of the way sometimes. I try to angle the key in at that cover to help push it out of the way

And any lube other than graphite in a lock is a mistake. Wet lubes will just attract and hold dirt.

Powdered graphite works - even pencil lead scraped onto the key. i like this stuff - http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/product.jsp?productId=16402&parentCategoryId=2&categoryId=36&subCategoryId=362&type=product&cid=gooshop&source=google_pla&9gtype=%7Bifsearch:search%7D%7Bifcontent:content%7D&9gkw=%7Bkeyword%7D&9gad=%7Bcreative%7D.1&9gpla=%7Bplacement%7D&ctcampaign=4680&ctkwd=%7Bproduct_id%7D&ctmatch=&ctcreative=%7BCreative%7D&ctplacement=674822-44622122499&gclid=COu4p5HN2ssCFQFkhgodgqEGfQ

The graphite's in a liquid vehicle that evaporates away. but before that happens, the suspension can get everywhere in the lock.

Use teflon "dry" lubrication.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Use teflon "dry" lubrication.
Not used that in locks personally, but should be OK - the "dry" part is important.  
But WD40, silicone sprays, oils, etc will work for a while but will do more harm to the pins and springs in the long run - especially in a lock that will see rain and dirt.. 

I had this exact problem and it drove me nuts. I used different lubes and it helped a little. The final solution was cleaning with non chlorinated brake clean and then used a good lubricant. I used the DuPont Teflon one *it's late and I can't remember the name*

The first time, I had to slowly fill the barrel with brake clean 5 or 6 times. Then it got smoother. Added the lube and it was like butter. Every few months it gets a little finicky, now it only takes one fill with brake clean and one application of lube and its totally refreshed.

Remember, dirt can collect in there. If you lube it, lube collects dirt too! You gotta clean it :)

AlbatrossCafe
I had this exact problem and it drove me nuts. I used different lubes and it helped a little. The final solution was cleaning with non chlorinated brake clean and then used a good lubricant. I used the DuPont Teflon one *it's late and I can't remember the name* 
The first time, I had to slowly fill the barrel with brake clean 5 or 6 times. Then it got smoother. Added the lube and it was like butter. Every few months it gets a little finicky, now it only takes one fill with brake clean and one application of lube and its totally refreshed.

Remember, dirt can collect in there. If you lube it, lube collects dirt too! You gotta clean it :)
Interesting... so you completely saturated the ignition keyhole barrel? How did you drain the fluid afterwards? I have never heard of something like this before. 

Don't know how the actual switch is piggybacked onto the lock, but keep in mind there is an electrical switch (usually) underneath the lock that all that swarf might be getting washed into.

One thing to try and remember is to remove the key when giving the bike a bath. A small fly screen will also help keep water and dirt out of the lock.

Personally, I'd stick with something designed specifically to be in a lock. Don't want to use a graphited lube - there's this http://www.3inone.com/products/lock-dry-lube/ which is likely similar to the dupont teflon dry lube.

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting... so you completely saturated the ignition keyhole barrel? How did you drain the fluid afterwards? I have never heard of something like this before.
Late response....

Well, the lock cylinder has a hole in the bottom to drain. This is why the lock doesn't fill with water in a rain storm. Or so the dealer told me. I had this lock problem 6 months after buying as I ride all winter in Portland, rainy city, Oregon.

If I remember correctly, way back then, the dealer did the same thing to clean it, expect they used a thick grease, like wheel bearing grease. I find the dupont is easy to lube and lasts longer in the lock.

• 11 months later...

I know I'm digging up this old thread, and not to be a nuisance, nor for random bumps, but because I wanted to give an update in case anyone is still having this difficulty.

There was some questioning about my method. I just want to provide more support for this method. After riding through another winter in the suuuuuper rainy Portland weather this year, my ignition lock/cylinder was becoming less and less compliant. I almost couldn't get the key in and out. A couple of weeks ago, I saturated the cylinder with DuPont Teflon spray. Worked the key in and out and it was a little better after a few minutes, but not perfect. Over the course of 3 days, riding the bike as I usually do, the lock performed as it did when it was brand new (14k miles on it now)! :)

firstyammerha

I've noticed this with my 2016 low time and miles bike but it's not as bad as the seat lock. I'm going to try and drip some WD40 down the cable to the seat lock.

Archived