The MT-07 Forum

Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons Installed

jeffkisthename

• Global Moderator

Is that his bike back there hiding?
Along with a vrod and stryker?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

AlbatrossCafe
@albatrosscafe I don't understand how you tall people fit on this bike. My buddy that I got to sit on my bike is actually 6'3", so an inch taller than you, but hope this will do. He doesn't exactly know how to sit on this kind of bike (IE small bike) LOL, he comes from riding a big ol' Harley Davidson Street Glide haha.
Haha right? It's weird... I am a 6'2" 235lb weightlifter so I am pretty bulky. I came from a Yamaha Raider and everyone was like "that is the perfect looking bike for you". Then I come to the FZ and everyone tells me that I look bigger than the actual bike. But it is completely comfortable to me, despite my contorted look. 
Given this, I guess the real question is did he have any opinions on how it felt for him? Either way, thanks for the pics, I really appreciate it. And his Harley looks badass! (I'm assuming that's it in the background)

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@sorkyah yes to v-rod, and no not Stryker, that's a Road Glide. Oh and no that's not his Harley. His was stolen, and much more bad ass than the one pictured behind him.

@albatrosscafe I'll ask him tomorrow, but now you have to post a photo of you on your bike before and after clip ons. Just buy them lol.

• Like 1

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator

That on the back side of the v-rod is a road glide?

He has a "what the hell am i doing this for?" Look on his face in the 4th pic

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

more like, "you owe me a beer for losing my cool points".

What's he wear, size 13+ shoes?

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
That on the back side of the v-rod is a road glide?  

He has a "what the hell am i doing this for?" Look on his face in the 4th pic
On the other side of the v-rod is a Ducati Monster of the 1 liter type. S model. It's got dry carbon fiber everywhere.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
more like, "you owe me a beer for losing my cool points". 
What's he wear, size 13+ shoes?
He said he wears a 12.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@albatrosscafe my friend said it felt awkward and uncomfortable, because he's used to ape hangers and he said it just felt weird having his feet so far back and arms reached out forward.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Hmm... I bet I can attribute that to his lack of experience with this kind of bike rather than the actual setup being bad. Interesting ...
I agree.

SigSide.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
AlbatrossCafe
@albatrosscafe I'll ask him tomorrow, but now you have to post a photo of you on your bike before and after clip ons. Just buy them lol.
I know you saw my post about the Renthals... sorry to disappoint :'( but the woodcraft clip-ons were a lot of money (and I would have to also get rearsets = +$300). The Renthals achieved what I wanted for $62.

Do I still have to give a pic of my riding position?  ::)
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I know you saw my post about the Renthals... sorry to disappoint :'( but the woodcraft clip-ons were a lot of money (and I would have to also get rearsets = +$300). The Renthals achieved what I wanted for $62. 

Yup. Photos or you didn't happen. You should make a Renthal Super Low thread.

• Like 1

SigSide.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yup. Photos or you didn't happen. You should make a Renthal Super Low thread.
Merry Christmas :)

http://fz07.org/thread/2436/renthal-ultra-low-handlebars

http://fz07.org/thread/837/bar-end-weights-renthal-handlebars

http://fz07.org/thread/4681/renthal-ultra-arrow-mirrors-throttle

http://fz07.org/thread/2065/handlebar-replacement

I have had both Renthal ultra lows and Woodcrafts on now and have some observations.
The Woodcrafts are a better position for handling. Easier to push down on the front and feel like a better hand angle. BUT they transmit a lot of vibration ( OK a bit of vibration. The bike doesn't vibrate that much). I have solid aluminium bushes to replace the rubber ones that could be the culprit.
The Renthals are a better touring and commuting position ( better than the stocks in my opinion). They DAMP vibration by virtue of the ureathane core. I am beginning to wish I had not spent the huge amount of money on the Woodies. If you are doing track work , no contest...Woodcrafts. Touring I am leaning towards the Renthals again.
I will replace the rubber bushes and see if improves when I get a chance.

NOTE: once I changed to the Woodies I had to put a more rearset set of pegs to get comfortable.

• Like 2

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Really appreciate your feedback @gregjet. The Woodcraft kit is a bunch more expensive than the Renthal Ultra Lows and to some may not be worth it. I do agree with everything you've said, except I have not experienced excessive vibration, though I would agree they probably do transmit more than the Renthals. I commute my bike 100 miles a day and through that, I guess my body has gotten used to the riding position pains. The only time I feel fatigued is when I'm sharing/splitting lanes between cars, because I have to be in an extra alert position scanning constantly and doing small manuevers. I'm also a rev versus horn type while sharing/splitting lanes. I think a horn would piss more people off.

SigSide.jpg

Jeffkisthename,
Thank you very much for that info. It looks like my vibration culprit is the aluminium replacement bushes. I will make a set of HD nylons and try that if that doesn't work, I will go back to the rubber suspend bushes.
If I were riding the bike on the track I would leave the Al ones. There is definitely a MUCH more connect feel with the front end with the solid mount, but on the road I need to be a bit more comfy.

• Like 1

Made and put my HD nylon bushes on. Now wait for a dry day.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

OK, I've read all 5 pages of posts,and I'm not seeing where anyone tells how far forward from stock position the Woodcraft clipons place the grips.

I've also googled the question with no luck.

Since this thread has a lot of good information otherwise, I figured I'd ask here instead of starting another thread.

Can anyone answer how far forward the Woodcraft clipons place the grips relative to the OEM location?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, DewMan said:

OK, I've read all 5 pages of posts,and I'm not seeing where anyone tells how far forward from stock position the Woodcraft clipons place the grips.

I've also googled the question with no luck.

Since this thread has a lot of good information otherwise, I figured I'd ask here instead of starting another thread.

Can anyone answer how far forward the Woodcraft clipons place the grips relative to the OEM location?

I have the exact measurements written down some where, but the 1.5-in drop set up moves the bars approx 4-in forward and 4-in down.  

Ed

• Thanks 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

I have the exact measurements written down some where, but the 1.5-in drop set up moves the bars approx 4-in forward and 4-in down.  

Ed

Thanks Ed. 👍

For whatever reason the specs only give the drop amount not the forward amount which is just as important.

Rise Guide
1 inch rise, up position - 2.75 inch drop over OEM
1 inch rise, down position - 3.75 inch drop over OEM
1.5 inch rise, up position - 2.25 inch drop over OEM
1.5 inch rise, down position - 4.25 inch drop over OEM

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Thanks Ed. 👍

For whatever reason the specs only give the drop amount not the forward amount which is just as important.

Rise Guide
1 inch rise, up position - 2.75 inch drop over OEM
1 inch rise, down position - 3.75 inch drop over OEM
1.5 inch rise, up position - 2.25 inch drop over OEM
1.5 inch rise, down position - 4.25 inch drop over OEM

Yup, 4.25 -in down and just about the same forward. It's a pretty big change. Not comfortable for street riding, more weight on wrists. With rear-sets and forward racing tuck (body position) on the track, they're good. 

Ed

• Premium Member

Not the best pictures for comparison, but you can see the stock bars are behind and above the fork tubes.

Ed1604950980_Stockbars.thumb.jpg.e857631e3048654fdcdfd73acd925212.jpg

The Woodcraft 1.5-in drop bars are in front of and just above the fork tubes. 

392503535_Woodcraft1.5drop.thumb.jpg.fc7c6ac1bd99a2ee358edc8269874c1f.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Evill_Ed said:

Yup, 4.25 -in down and just about the same forward. It's a pretty big change. Not comfortable for street riding, more weight on wrists. With rear-sets and forward racing tuck (body position) on the track, they're good. 

Ed

I was considering using the 1.5" up configuration but I think it's further forward than I'd be comfortable with for street riding.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

3 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I was considering using the 1.5" up configuration but I think it's further forward than I'd be comfortable with for street riding.

I find the 1” up to be perfect for me. I am fairly tall 6’1” and I am very comfortable riding on the street. My .02

• Thanks 1