The MT-07 Forum

Race Prep

jkraft

Hello All,
I'm thinking of getting an FZ07 this spring and prepping it for road-racing in the WERA north central region.  I've had pretty good success with an SV650 in the past and want to try something different.
As I don't have the bike yet, I'm curious if any of you have modified the 07 with racing in mind.  Specifically I'm concerned with bodywork, rear-sets and clip-ons, as suspension and exhaust seem to have many options.
Has anyone removed the fuel tank/air intake grills?  How much of that bodywork can be eliminated?  Anyone tried to fit aftermarket bodywork such as Sharkskinz or Hotbodies?
I like to run GP shift (reversed pattern) where I just flip the shift lever coming out of the transmission around 180d but the frame at the swing-arm pivot appears to be in the way, have you tried that?
Anyone found any aftermarket foot-pegs/rear-sets that are rigid?
Thanks,
Joe

• Global Moderator
Here is a good how-to on GP shifting. It is a little but involved but definitely can be done. Hopefully others can help with your other questions. 

The above post's link may be a good look at what may be involved but I think you'll have to choose a rearset and see where the foot lever's linkage connects before making any cuts. i would love to switch mine to GP but don't want to get into cutting things up just yet.
I wonder if there is a way to move the linkage more forward on the foot lever.

Has anyone seen a set of non-progressive front springs yet?

• Global Moderator

You could always modify it to GP shift and ride it with the trim off to see how you like it. If it feels good then you could start cutting up the trim piece.

scordiaboy515

This company makes some jam up stuff......will have to see if they offer a set for the FZ-07 in the future.....http://www.satoracing.com/rearsets_FZ09_14.htm......  Vortex is another good company, they too do not offer a set for the FZ-07, just have to wait and see.....https://www.vortexracing.com/shop/product/29719/1717/

Thanks 937 (and Ronin) looks like I'll just remove that cover. I'm hoping Woodcraft will come up with a set of rear-sets soon http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com .

nhdon: straight rate springs shouldn't be too hard to find, just need the dimensions (ID., OD., and length) and Ohlins or Racetech would have them; I've had some custom ones made in the past from cannonracecraft.com

Thanks 937 (and Ronin) looks like I'll just remove that cover. I'm hoping Woodcraft will come up with a set of rear-sets soon http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com
nhdon: straight rate springs shouldn't be too hard to find, just need the dimensions (ID., OD., and length) and Ohlins or Racetech would have them; I've had some custom ones made in the past from cannonracecraft.com
You're welcome. I'd just take it off too if I were gonna race it. It would be a great LWT bike but is in serious need of suspension, taller gears (1st & 2nd really short) and an ecu reflash...plus pipe, etc. Hit me up if u get to the gnf in Atlanta this year. I'm retired but am a pretty good pit bitch.

I'll definitely give you a shout if we go to the GNF. Have you tried to fit any race bodywork on it by chance? Waiting to sell our two GSXR750's before I get the FZ. Hoping to get it in time to have Jamie Hanshaw go through the engine, he does all our bikes, www.hanshawengines.com Suspension shouldn't be an issue as I sell and service both Ohlins and Andreani, trying to cross reference a fully adjustable shock for it now.

I have a track day coming up in March.

Simple prep question -- which fuse do I remove to disable the brake lights?

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
04 MV Agusta F4 Brutale S (750)
10 Street Triple R
15 FZ-07 (arrived 12/6/2015)!!

• Global Moderator

All the rear lights (brake light, turn signals and license plate light) can be disconnected under the passenger seat. I would just unplug the connectors there and not mess with fuses. 

thanks! makes sense

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
04 MV Agusta F4 Brutale S (750)
10 Street Triple R
15 FZ-07 (arrived 12/6/2015)!!

• 1 month later...
I'll definitely give you a shout if we go to the GNF. Have you tried to fit any race bodywork on it by chance? Waiting to sell our two GSXR750's before I get the FZ. Hoping to get it in time to have Jamie Hanshaw go through the engine, he does all our bikes, www.hanshawengines.com Suspension shouldn't be an issue as I sell and service both Ohlins and Andreani, trying to cross reference a fully adjustable shock for it now.
What are you planning for the engine? Just head work? 

Archived