The MT-07 Forum

How To: GP Shift on the FZ-07

roninracing

Stock setup:
ToC1MAg.jpg

Remove the two hex bolts and pull up to release frame cover from grommet. Note the tab holding the rubber grommet.
LIRzmDH.jpg

Stock setup without cover:
kJ1nYT8.jpg

Loosen hex bolt on shift shaft linkage:
tIk8DLL.jpg

Flip shift shaft linkage 180 degrees and retighten = GP shift pattern w/o cover.
E5y1git.jpg

If you want to keep the cover for a stock look, get out some more tools...

Shift linkage in proper location but cover in the way:
MBY4DpJ.jpg

This is the underside of the cover marked for material removal:
7JE4vtH.jpg

Cutoff tool with material removed(Part 1):
PoH9Hag.jpg

Part 2: Note I had to cut further around the circumference just beyond the lower tab for clearance.
fhAKWbo.jpg

Test fit 3: Note where I had round off the bottom edge to clear the linkage.
X8RxXXA.jpg

Reinstall cover with two hex bolts. I bent the little tab with the grommet out about 1/8 for additional clearance.

Cover reinstalled: Note 1 - you may have to adjust the shift linkage shaft length 11mm and 10mm. I had mine too high when I swapped to GP shift so this worked out perfectly.
****Note 2 - the lower shift shaft nut is counter clockwise to loosen - I almost stripped it and had a "DUH" moment. Well there's your problem.
rWRvn2x.jpg

Looks pretty stock:
UNnMNLH.jpg

If you really take your time and think about it some more...who has time for patience... you could likely get away with drilling two holes in the cover and make it work as well but I'd rather be riding :-)

Thanks all. My first attempt at documenting. Wish I had taken my time abit more so the cuts didn't turn out so gnarley. May put it on the bench grinder to clean it up.

Could someone please explain exactly what this doing this will accomplish for the bike and rider? I guess I don't understand why one would do this

• Global Moderator

azfz, it reverses the shift pattern so up on the lever shifts the gear down. It is mostly used in racing. I do not think it makes much difference on a street bike, but if you are used to it I can see it would be hard to switch, especially if you are also riding a bike that is configured like that.

azfz, it reverses the shift pattern so up on the lever shifts the gear down. It is mostly used in racing. I do not think it makes much difference on a street bike, but if you are used to it I can see it would be hard to switch, especially if you are also riding a bike that is configured like that.

That's what I thought but just figured I'd ask and clarify it. Thank you sir!

• 5 months later...

Nice instructions. My plan is to get some rear sets by "Driven." They make a set that just bolts on and will do regular or GP shift pattern. A little pricey at $375 but it's the first after market item on my list.

Nice. Just got to bike and have been working every day since. Been riding reverse shifting for about 6 years now and it was hard coming back to regular shifting. Was gonna take a look at it when I got a day off. I'm glad someone took the time to do a quick write up. Saved me some time. Much appreciated.

The idea is that you brake and change down for a corner, then accelerate round it
if you need to change up wile the bike is still leaned over with the race style change
you press down on the pedal, you don't have to get your foot under the pedal as on a
road bike so there is less chance of your boot catching the road.

• 1 month later...

Yikes, find that man a mill! It's actually not so much about catching toes but that it's far smoother, faster and less involved to press down for shifting than it is trying to futz around getting your toe under the lever. In racing, quick, painless upshifting is worth lap time improvements. For downshifting (done relatively infrequently and often multiple changes at once) it's frequently done at some angle approaching vertical and since it's a braking zone there is plenty of time.

All of my bikes are GP shift (except the motards). It's just easier and you never miss an up-shift. I think I've only backshifted my motard once, believe it or not.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Hmm as a relative novice rider, commuting over city streets primarily, would you guys recommend this? It sounds like worth a try, and I would probably first buy a replacement cover in case I wanted to go back to stock.

That, and use a dremel tool so it doesn't look like a dog ate a chunk out of it :D (I kid I kid)

Been using GP Shifting since the purchase of a Ducati Monster back in 1997 and really noticing myself accidently downshifting when wanting to go up a gear. Thanks for this post. I plan on just removing the cover for now until I find a machine shop to make a clean cutoff of the cover.

• 2 years later...

Just completed this tutorial myself on the 2016 model and it was a pretty easy job to cut the aluminum cover. One thing I'd mention for anyone that is going to cut into it would be that the plastic clip at the bottom of the cover will not fit back into its holder following this tutorial. You either just bolt the cover back on without securing the bottom plastic clip, or you put a couple washers underneath the bolt for the plastic clip so you can secure it back into its housing.

• 3 weeks later...
versysrider

OP: nice use of old sock for vice jaw protection. I always catch hell from friends for that kind of thing. Nothing works like an old cotton sock to soak up oil.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Tried this, removed the little panel and rotated 180 exactly. Now bike won't shift please help. I already tried swapping back

Now I'm really curious. I just came from a thread about our FZ07 not liking downshifting multiple gears at once so is anyone that races having trouble downshifting multiple gears at once? Does this fab. eliminate that or not or do others have FZ's that don't have that problem downshifting multiple gears at once or too close together like my bike and some others have?

Beemer

I am sorry this is not a mod it is simply a useless waist of time. JMHO

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Q: was something changed?A: yes Q: were any parts modified? A: yes
Q: is it beneficial?A: very

Q: was something changed?A: yes Q: were any parts modified? A: yes
Q: is it beneficial?A: very

Q: Is it a placebo A: Yes

Q: Does it make the pozer list of things to do
A: Yes

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Tried this, removed the little panel and rotated 180 exactly. Now bike won't shift please help. I already tried swapping back
Somethings not right here. Can you put up some pics? I'll bet something is bound up somehow. When properly executed the bike should shift equally well in either configuration.

Q: Is it a placebo

can it be placebo? probably to someone less experienced. however, it is something that is inarguably beneficial. I bet every rider in every major racing organization uses this shift pattern. I don't think its a coincidence. I only know of 4 people including myself that use this pattern and all of us either race or do trackdays. is it necessary? not really but it makes for faster, more effortless up shifts.  

Q: Is it a placebo

can it be placebo? probably to someone less experienced. however, it is something that is inarguably beneficial. I bet every rider in every major racing organization uses this shift pattern. I don't think its a coincidence. I only know of 4 people including myself that use this pattern and all of us either race or do trackdays. is it necessary? not really but it makes for faster, more effortless up shifts.
OK, if you say so.  If it gives you that mental edge who am I to argue? as long as your not claiming it adds HP ;) 
I am all for ergo setup and what works for the rider, that is part of my preaching, so if it works for you, for that guy for the other guy OK.  Personally I dont care, just wanted to voice my opinion thats it, I know you dont care either, but thats ok and i am ok so we all are just OK, OK? (:))

OK, if you say so.  If it gives you that mental edge who am I to argue? as long as your not claiming it adds HP ;) 
I am all for ergo setup and what works for the rider, that is part of my preaching, so if it works for you, for that guy for the other guy OK.  Personally I dont care, just wanted to voice my opinion thats it, I know you dont care either, but thats ok and i am ok so we all are just OK, OK? (:))

haha touché. I will add though, gp shift with a quickshifter on the track is the bees knees. I did two trackdays and was like yea I need all that. prob my favorite things ive done to the bike  

Archived