The MT-07 Forum

foot pegs scrapping

pj

Not sticking your knees out far enough! Lol kidding. Another think I dislike is the rubber insert makes it slightly difficult to change foot position quickly at times

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• Premium Member

Do you have the feelers on still? It's not often that the pegs scrape for me, but maybe that's just me.

Everything went braap.

Do you have the feelers on still? It's not often that the pegs scrape for me, but maybe that's just me.
Yeah, take the feelers (the rod sticking off the bottom of the peg) off if they're still on.  Proper body position should keep they off the ground, even at the track at a decent pace.  Having the bike sprung for your weight can also help, if you weigh more than what the bike is sprung for.

Yeah that's what's hitting, lol... since I'm a new rider it scared the shot out of me the first time.
I love what our machines cam do around a corner

Have you measured suspension sag? We can't do a thing about the front easily, but spring preload can be added to the rear shock. Mine was delivered with the preload set at the 2nd step on the preload ring. For my whopping 135 lbs, that was too much. I got launched out of the saddle a couple times on my 1st rides. I've now backed preload down to the bottom and the shock can now work (sorta) w/o the ride being too harsh.

"correct ride position" and "how much do you weigh" are important suggestions/questions here. This bike has pretty decent ground clearance - even with those peg feelers in place.

Being a new rider, if you've never measured sag on a bike suspension and you've not yet touched that preload adjuster on the shock, there's some good reading out there to explain this - you'll need a tape measure/long ruler and an extra set of hands

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventure/Blog/cAwZHo/How-To-Setting-Suspension-Sag
http://racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

• 1 month later...

From riding through Mulholland highway (The Snake) I have scrapped both my feelers off on both pegs, and scraped some of the peg itself as well, I just take it a little easier when leaning through extreme corners, I was pulling the pegs in with my feet while leaning for awhile so i could lean further without having them scrape, then someone told me that I shouldn't pull them in because once the bike leans further than the pegs scrape you have a significantly higher chance of washing out, and also stated that the manufacturers put the pegs there for that reason, so when you scrape your pegs, you know not to lean further or else the bike can wash out from under you, not wanting to see if he was right or wrong, i took his word for it and stopped pulling them in, and just lean only as far as the bike wants me lol =]

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

Personally, I think that sort of stuff should be saved for the track. Sliding into or over a hillside will leave a mark you might live to regret.

That said - I'm old and slow.

For the most part, pegs are placed where they will meet the overall needs for whatever bike they were designed. Hmm, inexpensive, "beginner bike" designed for comfort, ease of use, good gas mileage, but still be loads of fun does not translate to race track supersport. I doubt that when those pegs hit you've reached the limit of traction on a clean - read no sand, dirt or oil - smooth surface. Have you run off the edges of the tires? If not then you still have traction. Somewhere in this exercise, you will hit some hard part on the bike - exhaust can, side stand mount etc. When that happens, the tires will be levered up off the ground and you will lose traction and likely crash. Crashing, in case you've never experienced it - SUCKS! And it'll happen so quick, you'll barely have time to say Oh s--- to yourself.

Instead of screwing about trying to get the pegs out of harm's way with your foot when you should be paying attention to finding the limits of traction for those tires (and btw, this is just an invitation for a twisted, broken ankle when your boot gets caught by the pavement) invest in some nice rearsets.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
From riding through Mulholland highway (The Snake) I have scrapped both my feelers off on both pegs, and scraped some of the peg itself as well, I just take it a little easier when leaning through extreme corners, I was pulling the pegs in with my feet while leaning for awhile so i could lean further without having them scrape, then someone told me that I shouldn't pull them in because once the bike leans further than the pegs scrape you have a significantly higher chance of washing out, and also stated that the manufacturers put the pegs there for that reason, so when you scrape your pegs, you know not to lean further or else the bike can wash out from under you, not wanting to see if he was right or wrong, i took his word for it and stopped pulling them in, and just lean only as far as the bike wants me lol =]
@sycthros I think you should post a pic here.

Illegitimi non carborundum

One more suggestion and I'll shut --- ---- -- if you haven't yet, you should replace the POS, OE shock with something of quality with a spring to match your weight and intentions, that also allows height adjustment. This will make grinding bits away far less likely and your life far safer. And seeing as how yer worried about traction limits, you might even consider going to a tire set that's more sport and less tour, regardless of whether yours came with the PR3s or the 023 'stones.

Ya wanna see picts of busted stuff, you should see the 12" of Ti I carry about. lol.

Proper body position will go a long way to keeping bits from scraping. Getting your ass off the seat is easy, but getting your upper body over too makes the difference. Kiss the mirrors.

Kiss the mirrors.
I like that! Never gave it much thought, but that describes pretty well where my head winds up in a fast sweeper - over the inside grip.  It just takes some body English - mostly at the shoulders to keep hard parts off the ground.  

Archived