The MT-07 Forum

Chicken strips - size matters.

hippiebikerchick

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Time to measure your chicken strips and post here - if you dare!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rotaryryan24

Well I know on the fz07, dragging pegs leaves gust a tiny chicken stip on the rear. Maybe an 1/8 inch.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

Guest unknown

Yeah, I dragged em once then took em off when I noticed I still had some tread left at a track day. Sunday is track day number 2!

Definitely need to take those foot peg feeler things off. Went through some pretty tight turns today and scraped them a few times. There's still a little chicken strip after that.

Did this to a bunch of my friends bike. Circles in the parking lot will take those away, completely to the edge. Try at your own risk.

Greatness

My tire after trackday xD 
7c156d5ba64550415e121bc21c8cfeb3.jpg

That is some seriously soft compound. This bike should grip like glue on the turns.
Tires are pilot road 3. They worked were well but maeby they wear too guickly.

• Global Moderator

I definitely have chicken strips on my tires. I find it virtually impossible to get rid of them unless I am on a track, a closed circuit or goofing off on a parking lot.
I would have to go way to fast on a public road and lean over way to much to clean up my tires. I simply don't trust roads here to do that.
I almost always ignore the speed limit (unless I am in a town or at road work) and I do about 50 mpg so that would indicate that I don't baby the bike.

For the trackday folks, goodonya, for the street only guys, I hope you guys/gals are hanging off the bike some too, seeing these lack of chicken strips sure makes me wonder if your knees are on the ground, if they're not, hang off more and decrease lean angle, it's called insurance, just in case the corner tightens up you'll have more lean angle available, low siding on the street is not good.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

I can't get that last half inch. I can touch the peg feelers to asphalt but can't get to the eve of the tire. Maybe because I'm riding motard style and putting my inside leg forward?

-HowWorkClutch

Guest unknown

Take the feelers off. They will not allow you to get to the edge of the tire. I just dragged my right peg at the trck and the edge of the tire still isn't over worked.

Anyone know how to take those peg feelers off? Just went outside and looked and I have no idea how they come off. And I was definitely leaning off the bike through turns. That definitely helps!

Guest unknown

Take a 7 or 8 mm wrench and they should come right off IIRC. There is some blue loctite on them so it may be a little slow going at first. A set of pliers or channel locks will work in a pinch.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Take the feelers off. They will not allow you to get to the edge of the tire. I just dragged my right peg at the trck and the edge of the tire still isn't over worked.
That was the first thing I did to my bike but not for this reason. The feelers were getting in the way of where I want to put my legs at a stop.

• Global Moderator

It takes a 7mm wrench (or vice grips, pliers, etc. if you do not mind scratching them). There is a flat portion near the top of the feelers and they just unscrew.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
That was the first thing I did to my bike but not for this reason. The feelers were getting in the way of where I want to put my legs at a stop.

I saw a review in which the reviewer kept complaining about how the pegs were where he wanted to put his feet.

It drove me mad. I want to shake the guy vigorously and tell him "THE PEGS FOLD BACK WITH THE TINIEST PRESSURE. THEY WILL MOVE OUT OF YOUR @&$#% WAY IF YOU WOULD JUST STOP YIELDING TO THEM LIKE A WIMP!!!"

Not that I need to shake you and yell or anything. I suspect you're smarter than he and probably already know the pegs fill fold right up as soon as they hit your calves.

:)

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Yes I know the pegs fold up but that's from the front. I want to put my legs behind the pegs. It's mostly because the kevlar riding jeans I wear have a flared leg and the material was too much down there with the peg feelers. I actually have some light bruising on my shins from the skills class I took this weekend. It was a challenge! Maybe tomorrow I'll try putting my legs in front of the peg and letting them fold up a bit.

• 1 month later...
rotaryryan24

I've been paying extra attention to my riding position and style lately, and have noticed that I don't push myself as hard on right hand corners as I do on the left. I drag my peg on most left hand corners but I have only touched my right peg 2 or 3 times. I also notice that I square up alot of my right hand corners. Does anyone else suffer from right turn wussification? If so what's the best way to overcome it.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

There are many riders who feel they are better at turning one way over another, it's probably normal. Keep practicing the right turns.

Archived