The MT-07 Forum

2016 Rusting!

rogueone

Rarely rode 1200 km on it.

I have noticed rusting:

-In front on the two extended metals that stop the handle bar from turning to far.

-Around the neck of the frame that holds the front end.

-The exhaust leads at the engine block.

-break mounts

-rotors

-Some areas of the frame and the hole on the frame next to where you would mount a frame slider.

This bike was parked in a garage with lots of moisture problems. Never rode in the rain.

Bad built quality? Or neglect?
I'm starting to wonder if its rusting inside the frame too since the frame is hollow and moisture could be in there too. <-- Worried about this one, what if it breaks when I ride it

That is awhy you use a metal protectant.  You r bike sits in a moisture ladened garage, nuff said, my vote neglect 40% moisture laden garage 60%.

Using a metal protecant whe in storage is a good idea. Of course the link is for AMSOILS version, but there are many others, amsoils you spray on let sit and then wipe down.  Metel will rust you just have to mitigate the event

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
cornerslider

That seems pretty normal to me. You can spray some WD-40 on those parts to protect it some. I wouldn't really worry too much about it-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

Moisture in a garage is most likely worse than riding in the rain.  I have a little rust at the holes where the frame sliders go, but nothing else yet.  Mine is a 2016 with just under 10,000 miles.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

3 hours ago, mt7fan said:

What about under the chain protector on swingarm?

there is some there too.

Well my real question wasn't answered yet. Whats the probability of the frame rusting on the inside? 😱

And is this covered under warranty since its rusting through the paint at places?

• Premium Member

Stored in a closed  humid/moisture area with no good air flow will rust stuff really quick...  rust is not covered under warranty due to storage... warranty is mainly for majority of parts that fail under normal use... I got 2 little fans running 24/7 most of the time in my garage to keep the air moving due to Michigan lovely weather...

Surface rust is nothing its practicaly normal... if the metal is rusted/rusting thru like swiss cheese then that's a whole 'nother ballgame 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

A damp garage, shed or hangar is really bad on any metal object, LPS-2 or any metal protectant sprayed on and lightly wiped off will help mitigate this corrosion. Fork tubes need to be protected as they will tend to rust up easily. Our FZ-07 frame is made of decent high strength steel with a wall thickness that would take many years to rust out internally to the point where you would need to worry. If you plan to keep the bike for 15-20 yrs. and will continue to park it in a damp garage, then the outside will give you cause to give up on the bike long before the inside. If you are anal and don't want to worry about the inside of the frame, then plug all the frame tube vent holes (usually there for welding purposes) after squirting an ounce or so of boiled linseed oil or aircraft tubing preservative inside each tube using a syringe. This type of oil doesn't congeal and has a propensity to creep all over the inside of the tubes. If you find a tube with no vent hole and it is sealed by being welded to another tube or flat, a full 360* around then there is no need to worry. I have actually drilled a small fill hole in tubular aircraft engine mounts to treat with preservative and then tig welded a spot bead over the hole. Some aircraft mfgs. will plug this vent hole with a small steel drive rivet to preclude atmospheric moisture intrusion. One added benefit of a sealed tube with preservative inside is that, should the tube crack, the seeping oil will give you a visual clue.

I think both norcal616 and r1limited have both mentioned the benefit of circulating air in an enclosed dampish storage space. Now on damp/rainy days I have a fan in the loft of my garage (usually warmer up there) that I turn on and let run...can't hurt. The British cycle mags advertise large motorcycle plastic bags to park your ride in. Some are passive with a large bag of desicant thrown inside and others have an air pump and dehumidifier (I think, haven't really investigated) and may be worth a look. You wouldn't want to put your bike in a plastic bag without some form of moisture control as the poor bike would corrode even faster.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Simple, poor storage in damp environment with inadequate "weather" protection.  i have had a '15 (among other things) in my shop/garage for over three years with no such issues... and, I live in northern Louisiana where we have plenty of humidity and/or rain much of the year.  

Archived