The MT-07 Forum

Where and who are the Aussie owners?

gregjet

Awesome. You know I might actually be ending up in your boat sooner than I think. My "other" bike is a 1996 CB750 which is what I use when I want to take the wife for a spin. Problem is, it's boring as hell to ride so I don't even ride it unless it's with her, which is once every two months.

I listed it for sale yesterday and have someone coming to look at it today who says she's VERY KEEN. We'll see how that goes, but I think I might replace it with a 500X. I'm sure it won't be as comfy, cause man the CB750 is comfy and is the SMOOTHEST BIKE I'VE EVER RIDDEN. But I reckon the 500X will easily be more fun, and with some dual sport tyres I can spin it on the fire trails every now and then too.

• 3 weeks later...

kylershsm,

You will have to do the suspension on the 500x to go off the tar. The stock suspension is worse than the 07's, and that's saying something. The seat is higher as well. The last model has slightly longer travel and a 19" front, instead of a 17",  so it should be a better base for an adventure bike.

The x has become a bit of a cult bike for Adv so a fair bit of stuff is available for it to make i a bit more dirt worthy ( see Rallye Raid for example).

The X motor is incredibly smooth ( I call it sewing machine smooth) . You would never know it was a twin.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 3 months later...

Name: dfl05

Town/city: Sydney

Gender ( optional): male

Which 07 ( 07 or 07HO): 07 LAMS

How long have you been riding:  3 years then 30 year break then 4 years

Type of riding ( feel free to embelish): Daily commuting

Mods: Akra TI (baffle in), tail tidy, throttle mod, shorty levers, LED headlight, radiator guard

Are you happy with the bike?: very

What other bikes do you own: None

What other noteworthy bikes have you owned: IT250, RD250LC

Longest trip on a motorcycle: 200km

Longest trip on an 07: 200km

Do you do your own wrenching?: No

Anything else: Still loving it after 4 years. Have just ordered the Hyperpro Streetbox suspension last week.

dfl05. Surprising how many 07 owners are "returning" owners AND owned RD350LC! Way beyond chance.

Advice: Get a reflash. It improves the snatchy fuel response and makes the bike MUCH nicer to ride. Not cheap though. It WILL improve your safety in commuter traffic. It the reason I try and direct new riders to another bike instead.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:06 AM, gregjet said:

dfl05. Surprising how many 07 owners are "returning" owners AND owned RD350LC! Way beyond chance.

Advice: Get a reflash. It improves the snatchy fuel response and makes the bike MUCH nicer to ride. Not cheap though. It WILL improve your safety in commuter traffic. It the reason I try and direct new riders to another bike instead.

The snatchiness must be a lot more profound in the LAMS MT07 as my HO has what I'd call a pretty smooth throttle. It's much better than the both the XSR900 and R3 fuelling and I've never felt the need to get a flash. I was fully prepared to get the bike flashed before I even bought it but after the first ride I was actually surprised.

Kylerhsm, I have seen similar about the HO being a bit smoother response. And the XSR/MT09 was way worse , from all reports. The 09 motor was completely fly by wire though. instead of the double butterfly of the 07 so was worse and definitely benefitted MUCH more than the 07.

Still a reflash will derestrict the top speed/rpm in the higher gears, get rid of the annoying inconsistant fuel shutoff for closed throttle and will run smoother as well. Haven't heard a reflash story that wasn't positive about the result. I also got better fuel economy despite the richer AFR. That last one isn't consistant though across all riders.

gregjet,

The snatchyness has always been a letdown for this otherwise great bike. Demands precise hand control specially  in slow traffic as you say.

I have been planning a re-flash. I see that you used ecuwest as their first customer. My issue with them is that I ride daily to work and need the bike for that. I would look to ride to a place and have it done in a day. 

Any recommendations for somewhere in Sydney that can do it in a day?

I found a place in Melbourne a while ago that was getting good reviews for reflash but never managed to find the Sydney place the facebook guys were recommending ( suspect it's Net name in different from the shop name). Sorry. I know there was one though but I haven't looked for quite a while.

On 8/19/2019 at 8:08 AM, kylerhsm said:

The snatchiness must be a lot more profound in the LAMS MT07 as my HO has what I'd call a pretty smooth throttle. 

My HO is pretty snatch from closed to slightly open throttle, such as a 180 on a roundabout. I have a PCV fitted so it could be tuned out on a keyboard, I can’t be arsed and just ride around it. It’s not really a big deal.

Stickshift, The bike is soooo much nicer to ride with a reflash. It does a few extra things ( like delimit the upper gears). Hp is increased at higher rpm, but torque is only a little higher and in the middle. It gets less snatchier at the lower rpm and my fuel economy got better ( that's not consistantly reported though).

Yeah the reflash is a good option. I'm happy with the power commander, I bought it as I was contemplating Hord's intake, but I don't like the looks (i.e. increased attention from police). I track my bike pretty often and that increased top end power would be welcomed.

stickshift,

If you track it, I reckon the closed throttle/open throttle and trailing throttle transitions improvements would be the most noteable if you reflash. Delimiting the upper gears speeds would also be useful on a bigger track. A PCV can't do that.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:02 AM, gregjet said:

stickshift,

If you track it, I reckon the closed throttle/open throttle and trailing throttle transitions improvements would be the most noteable if you reflash. Delimiting the upper gears speeds would also be useful on a bigger track. A PCV can't do that.

I’m pretty happy with the fuelling, it’s improved over how it was stock. 

I don’t think the HO is speed limited in upper gears - I’ve hit redline in 6th at PI no problem (stock gearing).

• Like 1