The MT-07 Forum

Where and who are the Aussie owners?

gregjet

The Aussie section hasn't been used for a while so I thought I would attempt to breath a little life.

copy and paste and fill and we will see where we all are and which 07 we are riding.

Name:

Town/city:

Gender ( optional):

Which 07 ( 07 or 07HO):

How long have you been riding:

Type of riding ( feel free to embelish):

Mods:

Are you happy with the bike?:

What other bikes do you own:

What other noteworthy bikes have you owned:

Longest trip on a motorcycle:

Longest trip on an 07:

Do you do your own wrenching?:

Anything else:

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

OK I will start it.

Name ( First name will do): Greg

Town/city:Bundaberg

Gender ( optional): male

Which 07 ( 07 or 07HO): 07 LAMS ( deLAMinated)

How long have you been riding: 47years

Type of riding ( feel free to embelish): nowdays street and touring. Used to race (track) and miss it very much.

Mods: Akra snail ( carbon), DNA air filter, reflash, single seat, touring case racks ( modded for the bike for GIVI), Seat Concepts seat ( OHHHH YEAH!), lots of aluminium replacement bits, pattonme's fork internals, Nitron shock, Renthal ultralows, rearsets, track bobbins, Lumiled headlight bulb,  carbon fibre rear mud protector, Carbon wind deflector/screen, 12v outlets, forward mounted instruments, Extreme creations raising/lowering linkage, HEL brake lines ( not fitted yet...I will get them on eventually), radiator stone screen , side sliders,

Are you happy with the bike?: One of the favourite bikes ever owned and I have owned a few.

What other bikes do you own: Currently a Husky TR650 modded for touring ( for sale if I can ever sell it!), and a project bike Suzuki GS500F.

What other noteworthy bikes have you owned: favourite bike ever: Honda CB250RS ( 250 single from the 70's), next favoutite: Yamaha RD350LC, Bike I wish I had never sold: Yamaha XV1000R, Most fun to ride: Honda motoGP RS125 frame with a 28HP CR85 motor in it ( especially on a wet track).

Longest trip on a motorcycle: 7000km ( Townsville to Bathurst to Adelaide to Townsville)

Longest trip on an 07:1000km Bundaberg to Toowoomba to Ipswich to Bundaberg the back way.

Do you do your own wrenching?: YES!

Anything else: My partner rode motorcycles for over 40 years but no longer rides as she had a huge accident and is now too scared. I love to experiment with motorcycle stuff.

Current photo. I will attach when I can walk. My achilles tendon has gone feral at the moment. Here is an older one.

racks (4).JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

20170807_141056.thumb.jpg.90438ed20067646a0861006652d92cd5.jpgName: Draz

City: Perth

LAMS 07 

About 3 years

Street, hills and twisties

Mods: Akrapovic carbon, yamaha sports shield... more to come soon

Happy?: Absolutely stoked with it. Since i got my full license ive test ridden A LOT of bikes but nothing has tempted me enough to sell/trade in my 07.

Other bikes: None at the moment, had a ninja 250r but sold that to get the 07.

Longest trip? Perth to Busselton (about 260km each way)

Wrenching: i like to do as much as i can myself provided i have the required tools. 

Edited by dmoney
  • Like 1

dmoney, ECU west did my reflash in 2014 ( he was the only one doing it then and I actually have a Euro flash so it's good but  not quite right. He has since updated to our bikes profiles).

I love that yellow. Reminds me of the Kenny Roberts days.

• Like 1

Ive been considering an ecu flash for a while now but im just not sure. To be honest im pretty happy with the bike as is and im worried if i get it done and dont really like it if its possible to change back? My other concern is if it'll effect my insurance and the legality of it in a bad situation. I think I'll do the suspension first but i dont find it all that bad, just the front is a bit soft. Having said all this ive never really owned a bike with great suspension so maybe im just used to the crap stuff and learnt to make it work haha

I was a huge fan of the colour too, it was love at first sight. Im not old enough to remember Kenny Roberts but it did remind me of these 

20180624_010934.jpg

NOBODY will know the ecu is reflashed except the reflasher and you. There is no way to tell from the outside. You will need to tell a prospective buyer though. Or a workshop, just incase they attempt to re-reflash it.

The reflash makes the bike way more controllable, and reduces the fuell cutoff on closed throttle, as well as a heap of other things. Marginal extra HP absolute, but way more where it counts ( low and mid) and fatter torque curve. The bike is just plain nicer to ride.

Possibly THE only bike I have ever owned that I would ever recommend engine ( well... engine control in this case) mods before suspension. And this bike NEEDS suspension fix. My grilfriend's KTM 690 Duke was in the same boat ( engine reflash, not the suspension) but I didn't own it, so that doesn't count.

The reflash substantially changes the bike pitching into the suspension at both ends by the smoother fuelling and, dumping the defuel at throttle close, so the bike doesn't tend to wallow as much during braking and on corner entry and exit.

Mine also got better fuel economy after the reflash , but that is not reported by everybody.

• Like 2

Might go down to ecuwest next time i have a day off and check it out. Do you know if its possible to change back to original settings?

As far as I know it can be reverted, but CHECK with them.

• Thanks 1

Long time lurker, so i'll join in on the Aussie party...

Town/city: Sydney, NSW

Gender ( optional): M

Which 07 ( 07 or 07HO): 2015 LAMS ABS (not quite LAMS...)

How long have you been riding: 2yrs

Type of riding ( feel free to embelish): Street

Mods: Akra Ti (modded db killer and akra cat), Wilbers rear shock, Bitubo fork cartridge, US FZ-07 airbox with dna filter & ebay throttle plate, Healtech quickshifter and brakelight pro. Various other bits and bobs too. Ecu tuned by 'TuneBoy' (Yes there's launch control :)

Are you happy with the bike?: Yes, even on my full licence, the bike is plenty for my needs!

What other bikes do you own: First bike!

What other noteworthy bikes have you owned: n/a

Do you do your own wrenching?: Yes, everything.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.d4c1cdf358aa613680eca2e6df1f8000.jpg

Anything else?: yes the pic is from a graveyard :&

Edited by poida
  • Like 2

Do you like the Wilbers? That is one brand of shock I have never used.

4 hours ago, gregjet said:

Do you like the Wilbers? That is one brand of shock I have never used.

Works quite well, definitely better than stock. 

I strongly suspect fish are better than the stock shock...

• 4 weeks later...

Is this thread still alive??

Town/city: The Dandies in Vicky

Gender ( optional): Apconsugender

Which 07 ( 07 or 07HO): LICO

How long have you been riding: 12 years

Type of riding ( feel free to embelish): Dirt, only recently street

Are you happy with the bike?: Stoked

What other bikes do you own: None currently

What other noteworthy bikes have you owned: CRF

Longest trip on a motorcycle: 2 Days

Longest trip on an 07: 2 Hours

Do you do your own wrenching?: So far

Anything else: Yeah, Gregjet, your ECUwest post (few years old now I think), is what sold me on the 07. Will be sending over ECU to be flashed by them in the near future.

Triple R ( name of a NQ mtb race, BTW)

This thread never dies...

There is a NSW and a Vic place that does reflashes and does a pretty good job from what I have seen here. You may even be able to ride it in ( do not know this for sure). Trawl the ECU threads. Not to have anything against ECUWest as mine was the first customer one done and they went out of their way for me, just may be a local option that is less hassle.

6 hours ago, gregjet said:

Triple R ( name of a NQ mtb race, BTW)

This thread never dies...

There is a NSW and a Vic place that does reflashes and does a pretty good job from what I have seen here. You may even be able to ride it in ( do not know this for sure). Trawl the ECU threads. Not to have anything against ECUWest as mine was the first customer one done and they went out of their way for me, just may be a local option that is less hassle.

You may be right mate, I spoke to Cam from ECUWest and their flash is for the Lams Throttle stacks which seemed odd, I thought they dremeled yours out? Maybe I'm thinking of a different build...

No you are correct. Mine was flashed before I found the stacks had the restriction and opened them. It was for the Euro unrestricted one though and was done in italy. He may have got a new flash architecture after mine.

The flash/pipes/throttle stop and inlet changes took me from 48HP to 54-55hp. The stacks rocketed it to 65 ( I think). The first time I rode it after I did the stacks was unbelievable. Like it had a new bigger motor. The original stuff made it smoother and more midrange but nothing at the top at all, which was why I kept looking. Current reflashes should be even better. more time for more refinements for both the 656 and 687 motor.

Good to hear your searching paid off mate and nice to know there's a cheap and easy 10 hiding under the tank. Now to find a good Tuner in Melbourne, might even pony up for a custom tune if anyone has decent recommendation.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
TunnelratMT

Town/city: Sydney

Gender ( optional): Male

Which 07 ( 07 or 07HO): 07LAMS

How long have you been riding: Years 

Type of riding ( feel free to embelish): Weekend warrior, commute.

Mods: Pipe, tail tidy, grips, levers and pegs

Are you happy with the bike?: LOVE it

What other bikes do you own: none yet

What other noteworthy bikes have you owned: 91 XR600R

Longest trip on a motorcycle: 400kms

Longest trip on an 07: 400kms and my ass is still sore. Comfort seat on the wishlist.

Do you do your own wrenching?: Yep

Anything else

• 5 weeks later...

Name: - Chrisko

Town/city: - Byron Bay

Gender ( optional): M 

Which 07 ( 07 or 07HO):   07

How long have you been riding:  10yrs

Type of riding ( feel free to embelish):

Hard n fast when it looks n feels safe, look out!

otherwise I typically practice my road craft but sometimes crack it like a whip

She's my daily ride, love taking long back way home thru the hinterland

Mods:

Healtech Quickshifter

Full LED changeover

Stock exhaust drill out with bigger spout welded on

Went one step too far and drilled 4 holes around the spout. Now it sounds shet, like its got a hole in it! got another spare so going to experiment.

heated hand grips, windgaurds

few bits n bobs, rear pegs off

Are you happy with the bike?:

Totally love it but sounds ordinary and could be quicker...

What other bikes do you own:

Old heavy MT03 660 & the girl's little R15

What other noteworthy bikes have you owned:

Honda Revere (shaft drive 650 - first bike)

Yammy FZ6 (kicked ass)

Longest trip on a motorcycle:

2,500ks a few times - Byron >< Orange

Longest trip on an 07:

250ks

Do you do your own wrenching?:

learning as I go, got a great teacher.

Anything else:

thinking of moving up to the 10 soon, had a test ride, freaky!

On 4/13/2018 at 7:04 AM, gregjet said:

What other noteworthy bikes have you owned: favourite bike ever: Honda CB250RS ( 250 single from the 70's)

Maaaattteeeeeeee my all time favourite bike as well! I've owned 3 since I started riding 10 years ago. Built two into Cafe Racers and one into a Scrambler. I'll attach a few photos.

The Cafe Racer you see in the pics I added a high compression piston (for the XL250S) and a Mikuni TM33 flat slide pumper. Combined with the weight loss, I managed to achieve 155km/h (GPS verified) on a flat straight. This was the bike that I really learnt how to ride and corner on, shredding the hills on Mt Nebo with my mates every weekend with the throttle pinned. It blew the doors of my mates who had bigger engined bikes (SR400, CB550 etc.). These were a real ripper. Since you also have a project GS500F, I'll throw in a pic of the GS500F I built as well.

Sharpened-small.jpg

3.JPG

small-2.jpg

The little RS handled way better than it should have ( thankfully considering the lack of a working front brake. I see you used the same trick as me. Oversized ( for then ) tyres.

My Suzuki gs500F project has gone to a new owner.

My new one is my CB500X lighteneing project. Been waiting for a cheap enough one and finally got one. The motor is really something. Really like riding it. Like the 07 remindes me of my RD350LC , riding the CB500x reminds me of the RS.  It's a bit of a giant killer despite it lard.

I strongly considered the CBR500/CB500F whilst looking at MT07's as I've always been a Honda man, but I just couldn't bring myself to get something that weighed more and had significantly less power (I have the HO). I might still end up trying one out when I get bored of the MT07.

In your opinion, would you say that the CB500X is comfier and easier to ride than the 07? I'm a daily commuter so the CB range would only appeal to me if it gave me better ridablity as a trade off for the loss in power.

Does it have a lighter clutch? Smoother gearbox? Softer seat? These are things that could possibly tempt me in the future.

The 500 motor is just superb. Not a firebreather but not a lump either. On the X model the torque curve and bike response is VERY similar to a sorted fuelling 07 but a little restrained. Not aweful and you could ride around Aus in reasonable comfort motorwise. Seat is almost as aweful as the 07's ( mine now is a Seat Concepts , which are favs of mine) and like the 07 the suspension is complete garbage.

The real advantage the Honda has is although it is a lot heavier, it gets better fuel economy, it "feels" light virtue of good chassis design, it has a VERY slack head angle and big trail for better touring ( the F and R models are a bit steeper ) and the fuel tank is a way better size for Australia ( especially combined with the fuel economy).

It is no slouch once the suspension is fixed ( like the 07). Both are fun to ride hard. Both have Michie PR5's. Pattonme's fork guts and Nitron on the 07, and Andreani cartridges and Ohlins shock on the Honda. Love em both.

Got 13kg (real) off the Honda, even without making a lighter rear subframe ( it will come).