The MT-07 Forum

ECU FLASH and Yoshimura R77

r1limited

Have yet to really put the bike out in the canyons since the flash, however there are some distinctive changes felt right away.  Here is my initial assessment,

Most noted change and honestly a little missed is the Brutal Engine Brake in stock form.  Many discussions on this already, as it is a love hate relationship for many, but I do miss it now that it is tamed.  It is there but not with the brutal jerk from your hands if your not prepped for it.  With a little tweaking aka cams, head work or pistons it can be brought back if you so inclined.  But that would be a tun for specifics like as example setting up a TT bike.

Next is the linearity of the power thought the RPM range, seems to pick up around 6.2k this is about the height of the torque curve when yu get a small hit, then it just climbs.  Again, I have yet to be able to take it to the canyons where I am accustomed to short shift and play so that will come. 

Next is launch control, The bike is noticeably cleaner coming off a stop aka stop lights/signs.  So normal city street traffic is much easier and smoother transitions through gears.  The getty up go is as noted above far more linear thus giving you the ability to actually let a gear run through to its max rpm range to get you quickly out of trouble.  Even in a lower gear its thumpity bump and rev city, its good.

The FZ07 always has that thumper feel, that has not gone away thanks to the cross plane crank, the flash actually makes it freaking funner and with the Yosh R77 that lower twin rumble and feel is just a wood maker.  All in all with the Flash, Yosh Exhaust has done is make the FZ the bike it should be engine wise.  With less than 75 miles, the $1,200 cost to get a bigger smile may not be worth it to some, but for me it was and is, I still wish I went with the Graves system, but heck maybe later when I win the lotto........

The experience with @2wheeldynoworks made it even better, as the bike was established on the dyno, Nels explained everything along the way.  Personally I wold do it again and will, once I get a chance to talk to Nels about changing things up "Maybe" once I get some more miles on the bike on the roads where the FZ shines.

If you are looking for some changes, get a flash I recommend @2wheeldynoworks simply because they actually treat you like a customer and not a paycheck.  Well that is it for me, until I can get more time on I will write up some more...

FZ07-73-51.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Any other engine work besides the pipe and flash? Your numbers are quite good for those two mods alone. You pulled the snorkel?

Re the engine braking - you'll get used to it, then like it. You can modulate your brakes as needed and that is much better than the on/off effects of the engine braking. In short, you'll have much more control using your brakes than the engine braking can provide. In time, you'll appreciate it, but it's a big change in the beginning, and I missed it as well.

Cheers

1 hour ago, sansnombre said:

Any other engine work besides the pipe and flash? Your numbers are quite good for those two mods alone. You pulled the snorkel?

Re the engine braking - you'll get used to it, then like it. You can modulate your brakes as needed and that is much better than the on/off effects of the engine braking. In short, you'll have much more control using your brakes than the engine braking can provide. In time, you'll appreciate it, but it's a big change in the beginning, and I missed it as well.

Cheers

I know all bouts injun braking :)  Yes Snorkal off 92 Pure gas non of that half breed crap for my babies and a fresh throttle body sync and of course trusty Amsoil 10-40 Metric

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Well, you're just an airbox away from 78hp...just saying. I like the Graves exhaust also but really like the tucked in muffler on the Yoshi...keeps the bike looking and feeling compact, of course just my opinion. 

I am working on my airbox design, as well as weight.   Drilling 128,000 holes in the frame with a 1/16th bit is boring ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It is now end of April, finally get a good week of weather and able to actually play a little.  With that:

I find the bike now very placid, this has two reasons: (1) the drone sound of the exhaust coupled with the snorkel being off gives a feeling of a thumper at cruising speed (2) in these speeds (3rd and above) especially rolling on in 4th and above it feels lacking.  I have noted it is very linear in the power climb now, I find after 5k that it seems like it wants to just go, but that go never comes, it just rolls with a semi-hard pull around 6k then increases and climbs and climbs.  Dot get me wrong, in the upper RPMs its a freight train which I like, but very deceptive in its linearity feeling, almost disappointing.  My judgment is based on riding bikes that are not linear in its delivery, but very subtle at a specific RPM when all hell breaks loose.  This is not a bad thing, what I know now is I have more work to do on the motor, 7 - 10 more HP and suspension will put me in an area I want.  Now its time to figure when and how I want torque to be married to the HP curve, thats flow cams and compression.

I have a slight hiccup around 3-4k, which is noticeable rolling on in 3rd, enough of a hiccup to be aware of as it suddenly hits and starts climbing, not good with a bike with suspension that is stock, as it unsettles the chassis.  The R1 has a slight bobble around 4-5k where adapting your wrist to ensure a good flow through the apex is critical, no different now with the FZ, suspension will help a lot here.

Over all well worth it, even if you stay with stock everything a flash makes this bike IMO the superior Entry Level machine it was designed to be.  I am not disappointed at all, sad really in a way as I miss the engine brake and I don't miss it, I miss the low grunt hit and I don't.  As noted IMO the flash made this motor perfect in stock trim and is not surprising to me to see it behave far differently for the better than stock.  Imagining 80 plus with a harder torque curve and a suspension that can handle it, is like anticipating getting laid for the first time. :)

I get the drone comment. I love how my bike sounds with the baffle out, but it gets tiresome and the bike feels slow. It's not a running issues, it's just so damn loud I subconsciously won't allow myself to twist the throttle. 

Are you say it feels like you've lost bottom end now? 

2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Are you say it feels like you've lost bottom end now? 

Yes, I can peg it in first and the front lifts but falls flat revs out, second on the other hand is like first was but faster, which I like

I think getting bigger torque/HP is going to be problematic with the stock cams. The crank angles and cams seem to be tailored to a unique torque/hp relationship. I suspect it is one of the reasons we like riding the bike as much as we do. More torque with a motor this oversquare could be difficult as well. 

As you say the bike sort of feels thumperly ( possibly not as much to me as my other bike is a Husky TR650 single), but I get what you are saying. That impression may be making you expect a bit more low bight perhaps? The stock torque curve on paper shows a pretty good low and mid, and doesn't fall off badly above that.

A 900cc version would be interesting but I don't think it will happen in those cases/barrels as here isn't a lot of meat there. You could stroke it I suppose. An 80x80 ( using the same pistons) would give more torquey motor and 804cc. 82x80 would give about 850cc and would probably flow a little better.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

" Yes, I can peg it in first and the front lifts but falls flat revs out, second on the other hand is like first was but faster, which I like"

Sounds like the mapping is designed that way to make starting off easier. Might be possible to remap 1st to be a bit more agressive up top. Not a place you spend much time though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

Hmmm... Did you have em leave the "decel injection" off which equals the aggressive engine braking 

By default I believe they turn it back on unless...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

@gregjet Absolutly a new cam, the 100 meeelion $ question is what lift, what duration etc, So for me t research and spend that kind of cash is not going to happen in my married condition ;)  however that said, I have yet to see or read jumping or back off one tooth on the cam is plausible?  If I win the Lotto, oh for sure I know whom I am sending the motor to, but I suspect Yamaha may have or will be offering some GYTR components for the motor if you know the right people?  My goal, is a street version of a GNC Miler

@norcal616 Yes they turned t all off, I don't mind, just stating here there is a night and day feel to the motor on the flash, for the better IMO as I noted

4 hours ago, r1limited said:

the flash made this motor perfect in stock trim and is not surprising to me to see it behave far differently for the better than stock

If I were to give New FZ07 riders one point it would be no matter what, FLASH the ECU right off the bat, you will love the bike that much more

5 hours ago, r1limited said:

Yes, I can peg it in first and the front lifts but falls flat revs out, second on the other hand is like first was but faster, which I like

I want to do something with my ECU, but I'm still on the fence. Full Arrow XKone exhaust, stock air filter, no snorkel. With my baffle in I think the bike feels exactly as it did stock, power wise. With my baffle out it feels like the engine braking is reduced. Seat-o-the-pants meter only. But my engine doesn't have different power characteristics from one gear to the next, which is what I think you are describing? 

The midrange is not really what I would call flat on these bikes, but there is a lull in the power coming on. When you first stab the throttle it's like BAM- instant torque....then you hit about 6k rpm and it's like "umm...something's missing..." but the bike isn't falling on it's face...then you hit around 8k rpm and Whoosh...now we're talking! It's so weird to me, because if you shift at redline the engine is still pulling hard. That tells me there is no lack of airflow through the cylinder head or cam profile, but that midrange...wtf...I just can't figure out what it's missing there. My brain works old school and always blames rpm characteristics on cam profile/ ignition timing, but you're saying the ECU flash has moved the power band around by itself? This is super interesting to me. 

Riding full Yoshi, Hord airbox, PCV with Hord map and loved it, but his winter sent ECU to Hord to reflash. Missed the engine braking initially, but it's still there and really prefer the flash roll off smoothness.

@shinyribs Let me stress this.  The engine now with flash is what it should had been stock, but we live in a world of noncompoops within the EPA, CARB and all them dimwitted wanker flower children

OK!

Now get it flashed, I will tell you the difference you will feel is from 5 - 7 that sweet spot now just roll in and pulls like a freight train all the way to redline.  going through gears 1 - 6 is so smooth now and deceptively Linear as I have said.  I am used to that Yamaha HIT that my 426's had and my R1 has at around 10.5, the bike.  My 06 450 power delivery was not a 426 it was very, very linear as that hit never came yet the power accross the RPM range was like hlding onto a raped ape.

Riding in this morning, I made more of a point to be between 5 and 7 as I was entering and exiting apex's.  I can tell you this, I was SMILING and havnig a hell of a lot of fun @shinyribs get er flashed man

@elmo Spot on with the smoothness.

• 4 months later...

I have two V-Twin motorcycles and have gotten used to engine braking and like to use it. Both of them are much heavier than the FZ 07 so not as abrupt.  I have a favorite road I ride that follows a river with lots of sharp curves and up and down hills leading into them. The FZ 07 in second gear runs that road from 15 to 50 MPH great, but the engine braking is difficult to manage. I've been riding over 45 years and am have a hard time managing the on-off throttle on this bike. On one hand I'm used to engine braking but on this bike I'm finding it hard to manage, the rear wheel will skip out if you're leaned over. If the bike had a slipper clutch it would be great but when I do a reflash i will reluctantly get the fuel cut disabled.

Good advise, but running that road in second is more fun then a man should have. I just wish I could manage the off throttle a little better.  Practice, practice.

• Premium Member

@longrider1951 have you upgraded the suspension? OEM is set for a 140# max rider...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

20 hours ago, norcal616 said:

@longrider1951 have you upgraded the suspension? OEM is set for a 140# max rider...

I've only adjusted the preload. With gear I weigh about 220 and I think I need to back off on the preload 1 notch from where I have. I'm also looking at an Ohlins rear shock (future upgrade).

On 4/12/2018 at 9:44 AM, sansnombre said:

Cheers

I have been talking to Rekluse. They are in my hometown and they make auto clutch systems for dirtbikes that are bullet proof. I buy their clutch kits for all of my dirtbikes and its like cheating when riding the steep mountain Trails.  I leave the bike in 3rd gear on most trails and even taking off from a stop, I dont touch the clutch lever and the bike simply doesnt stall. 

Hers the best thing. No engine braking. When going down a hill, if I let off the gas, there is zero engine braking, and when it is a steep downhill, you have to barely twist the throttle to engage the clutch and have engine breaking. 

And, they are developing a clutch for the MT-07 in anticipation of the Tenere 700 dualsport.  I know this for a fact. In fact, we are talking about them coming on to the Forum as a Vendor. Their clutch kits are super easy to install, and you wont miss that clutch lever or engine braking at all. Let off the gas and coast. Im serious. 

Rekluse is awesome.  next time you are there say hello for me just add West Coast Thumber Talk Rides.  They sponsored us each year.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/12/2018 at 10:06 AM, r1limited said:

Have yet to really put the bike out in the canyons since the flash, however there are some distinctive changes felt right away.  Here is my initial assessment,

Most noted change and honestly a little missed is the Brutal Engine Brake in stock form.  Many discussions on this already, as it is a love hate relationship for many, but I do miss it now that it is tamed.  It is there but not with the brutal jerk from your hands if your not prepped for it.  With a little tweaking aka cams, head work or pistons it can be brought back if you so inclined.  But that would be a tun for specifics like as example setting up a TT bike.

@2wheeldynoworks

@2wheeldynoworks

I personally love the brutal stock engine brake. I rarely ever touch my front brake, just back brake and good ol engine braking. After the tune how much did it go away? 

• 2 months later...

This post played a huge role in me pulling the trigger on the r77 2wdw package. I mailed the ECU today and since I'm in cali I'm guessing itll be here by this time next week. Pretty excited to get her back after reading @r1limitedreveiw. I've been reading alot of your posts and it seems like you know your bikes. If you figure out a healthy solution to the 3rd gear drop I'd actually buy a box from you lol. Anyway thanks for posting these forums are hella helpful.

But yeah I had a quick question for you @r1limited. Is this graph a reliable source on the HP gain? 8 HP seems like alot, unless they changed something in the 2018 models..

Screenshot_20190116-231747_Chrome.jpg

@VEX

I can only vouch for what I have seen and don on my bike.  I have no special tune other that the Flash b @2wheeldynoworks and the Yosh R77.  My bike is stock as far as the motor goes, what I have done to my bike and continue to do

1: Run Amosil 10-40 Metric (No this does not give you HP) it is IMO the best oil, oil means a lot

2: Run 92 100% Gasoline, absolutely NO ETH based gas for my bikes

3: I maintain the throttle body sync religiously

I have removed the Snorkel and use OEM Yamaha filter.

Nels @2wheeldynoworks was impressed with the gains he saw, with no further mods (At least what I mentioned) :)

I am working on and final design of air flow, this will go on soon and the dyno will show whatever it shows.

Archived