The MT-07 Forum

Best helmets under $200

Cruizin

fzar  

It's real simple, if you remember  what Cruizin put up on the first page he put up a link for the helmet listing for $149 (with smoke & clear lens, no mention of a transitions shield) and the face-shield listing for $139.95 so I did the math and came up with the $40 difference that way. Now that another link has been put up after the fact I see that the helmet can be had (with transition faceshield) for the same price. You can see how I was mislead.

Beemer

19 hours ago, Cruizin said:

As admin of a motorcycle website, I am absolutely compelled to dispense of such utter bullshet as DOT helmet testing.  New riders read what we type. Some newbie is gonna read that DOT mean's a helmet has actually been tested and is safe, buy some shitty $40 helmet and hot a curb and die or become "shitting in his pants" paralyzed for the rest of his miserable life. 

DOT doesn't test anything. They set a few basic standards and Manufacturers are left to "self test". IF they promise to self test a couple of their helmets, they get to put a DOT sticker on all of their helmets. These "self tests" and results are never provided to the DOT or to the public.  How can DOT certify something that has no test results, @shinyribs ?

Its a bunch of BS. A ruse. A Scam.  When flying thru the air, about to hit that car or tree, do you really want to be wearing a $40 helmet with a lil bullshet DOT sticker on the back? We are talking about human lives here. 

DOT stickers are worthless. DOT doesn't test the helmets, the manufacturers are not required to provide results from their self tests or even prove that they were self tested. And the DOT test guidelines do not require the the front, visor or chin area of a helmet be tested. Front facial impact crashes are a leading cause of death in many accidents.  

Settle for nothing less than Snell, which also has it's level of BS, but is better than DOT. 

https://jalopnik.com/dot-ratings-for-motorcycle-helmets-are-egregiously-outd-1823684018

I was wondering, Are the European ECE ratings any better than the DOT ones or are they also "bullshet"?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Beemer said:

fzar  shinyribs 

Guys, it's real simple, if you remember  what Cruizin put up on the first page he put up a link for the helmet listing for $149 (with smoke & clear lens, no mention of a transitions shield) and the face-shield listing for $139.95 so I did the math and came up with the $40 difference that way. Now that another link has been put up after the fact I see that the helmet is the same price. You can see how I was mislead.

I do see it now. Anyway whenever it gets delivered and you try it out, let us know how it goes. I like the helmet from what I can see so far, and it's still an affordable helmet with a good amount of features.

3 hours ago, rushdewalt said:

I was wondering, Are the European ECE ratings any better than the DOT ones or are they also "bullshet"?

Good question. To me, ece ratings are the most reliable that we have to go by when choosing a reliable testing method rating. I am kicking around the idea of building a list of everything rated helmets. 

5 hours ago, shinyribs said:

giphy.gif

I apologise for being so abrasive, it wasn't directed at you, more at the industry. 

I have thousands of people visiting this forum each day. Many of them are new riders and I feel compelled to spread an accurate message to fellow riders about safety gear. To me, if I can influence just one person to put off that loud exhaust and instead put that money into higher quality protective gear, then mission accomplished.

I have also lost 9 people in my life to motorcycle crashes. Some we're wearing crap gear. One was wearing a helmet that broke in the front and the chin guard broke off and splintered into his throat. That's what killed him. So I am a little cautious when it comes to low priced helmets with DOT stickers and the mass misinformation about DOT testing helmets. 

We have lost three members of this forum to motorcycle crashes, that I know of. When I don't hear from a member on here for anfew months, I often email them to see if they are ok.

It's a dangerous sport we participate in. And there is a reason why track riders do not wear DOT only helmets, and they don't have cars poo pulling out in front of them.

If I had it my way, you would all be wearing $2000 in gear every ride with air bag safety jackets.  Point here is, I worry about all of you and hope everyone wears the best gear possible. Fat women in SUV's are trying to kill all of us. 

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

Good question. To me, ece ratings are the most reliable that we have to go by when choosing a reliable testing method rating. I am kicking around the idea of building a list of everything rated helmets. 

The reason I was asking is that I have been seeing more helmets lately which have DOT and ECE ratings but no Snell rating. I picked up one of the Kabuto Kamui helmets when Revzilla was clearing them out a while back and it is rated this way. Is it possible that since helmets that are marketed in Europe have to meet ECE standards that some of these companies don't feel the need to comply with Snell testing since ECE ratings already surpass DOT?  I think your idea of a rating list would be a good shopping tool that might alleviate some confusion when comparing helmet ratings.

firstyammerha

If I remember my biology classes correctly, your brain free floats inside your cranium so it can impact the walls of your skull and give you a concussion with the least amount of G force.Look at the NFL players( and boxers) today. Any helmet is just going to keep your head off the pavement and prevent abrasions. What's that old joke that goes " it's not the fall that gets you, but the sudden stop at the end".

@Cruizin , no need to apologize for being "abrasive". Being abrasive or blunt doesn't bother me. 

And I get what you're saying. I'm a stickler for gear, too. We lost my uncle to his motorcycle when he caught a telephone pole guide wire under the chin. Your imagination can fill in the rest. I'll just say it was a closed casket. Granted, in his case, there's no gear available to prevent that injury. But I'm not 100% on board to say DOT ratings are completely worthless. I know they're not the most strict standard, but they are what they are. I know people like to say it's an outdated test, and maybe it is, but pavement and skulls are the same today as they were in 1974. 

And yeah, there's talk about fake DOT helmets, and we all know you can buy DOT stickers. But what happens when fake ECE and Snell stickers start hitting eBay? Do we throw those ratings away, too? 

I have three helmets in my current rotation. One of them is ECE rated and it's junk, but bear with me for a second. The helmet I'm talking about is a modular helmet. We all know modular helmets aren't as sturdy as a solid full face lid....but it's still ECE rated. The way the chin bar latches on this helmet is a joke. I've had to work on the chinbar latch twice since I've owned, and being inside the helmet to work on it I can see just how little there is actually holding this POS helmet closed. Latches aside, the material of the chinbar is junk. Even if this helmet was solid it would still be a flimsy lid. But it's ECE rated...My point is, even though this helmet is ECE rated, it's junk because it's not a fullface lid , and it's poorly built. Modular lids are inherently weak by design. Just like those turtle shell half helmets. Regardless of the materials or construction, there's just not enough helmet to enclose your head. When you're riding in a modular lid you are basically riding in a 3/4 lid. I need to sell the thing, but part of me feels irresponsible passing it on to another rider. I'm talking about this Scorpion ADX-1. It's ECE rated when sold overseas, but only carries a DOT sticker when sold in the States (relabeled as an AT950). Figure that one out...

Scorpion-ADX-1-Anima-Enduro-Flipup-Helme

You can buy a 3/4 or open face helmet that's Snell rated. No chinbar at all. Even this goofy piece of shet is ECE rated. 

nexx_xg10_drake_helmet_black_750x750.jpg

All I'm saying is ratings are fine, but I'd put more faith in your own common sense first. 

I'd take a DOT-rated-only full face helmet over any open face lid, but that's just my opinion. 

I can't find the article on it now but if anyone else can it would greatly be appreciated, an article on helmet safety that undeniably showed that no one can say what helmet is safer than another because no one knows what the conditions of your accident will be (if you had one) so therefore they can't say what kind of stresses the helmet will be put through. What happens in a test facility isn't necessarily what will happen in the field with totally different factors, factors that weren't tested. What it came down to is there is no one helmet or brand of helmet that can claim their helmets are made better for your safety. All the talk about Shoei's being the best (safety wise) is a joke when you know the truth about helmet testing. I will continue my search for that article but my opinion of all this helmet safety talk sounds about as useless as all the talk about "which motor oil is best".

I just found this tid bit on a helmet site.

"But you can’t beat Icon’s quality-to-price. Yes, you sacrifice some luxury over a $900 Schuberth or Arai, but starting at $150, Icon’s helmets are just as safe, just as light, just as aerodynamic, often better ventilated, don’t fog and can be very comfortable. More often than not, that’s what I’ve got on my head."  -  https://jalopnik.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-motorcycle-hel-1733731498

Beemer

• Premium Member

Just some reading material.https://www.motorcyclemanic.com/snell-vs-dot/, as everyone on this thread knows if their reading the posts you have DOT,Snell,ECE, and a whole load of numbers and dates that testing has been done at different times, like ECE-15 or something like that, there's also SHARP that brings another dynamic to this debacle. I'm no expert on this, but living in a state where helmets are optional as long as your over 21 all your required is eye protection!!!!! which isn't enforced. Look, to each their own on whether they want to wear a helmet or not, different conversation.

I do know this, I wear a full face helmet all the time, it's not negotiable, I'm a firm believer in ATGATT. I had a long conversation with a long time biker friend of mine about this subject, to which the conclusion was that any reputable helmet manufacturer be it whatever safety sticker if it's not a fake, has a responsibility to produce a trustworthy product. You pay the big $$$ for a helmet you get the luxuries, fit,noise reduction, etc. Every scenario in a circumstance where the helmet is going to be called into action is a huge variable that nobody can predict. Honestly. Buy the best gear you can afford, not necessarily the most expensive means it's the best. I'm not going to say what people should do, I'll say what I do, ATGATT for me that's,full face helmet, CE rated jacket, * gloves, kevlar lined jeans, quality boots.

All that said, Remember this, Your helmets job is to protect your head to the best of it's ability, 1 time only, that means if you seriously drop that Lid, e.g from its perch on your mirror,REPLACE IT. The more information we can get on this subject, the better for us all. Ride on, Be safe,its wild out there, the risk is real.  

On 4/14/2018 at 2:15 PM, Cruizin said:

DOT stickers are worthless. DOT doesn't test the helmets,

Did someone say DOT Stickers

Ya I put these all over my really old helmets and used beenies on Offerup, da bikers love dot aproved beenies

Dots.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The icon alliance is a pretty good one for under 200. Great for motovlogging if you’re into that too.  If it’s still for sale, they should have the “dark” model that’s matte black and comes with the clear and smoked visor.

Archived