The MT-07 Forum

Best helmets under $200

Cruizin

Revzilla put together a pretty good selection of the best helmets under $200 

Link- Best helmets under $200

One of my favorites is this one  Bell Qualifier DLX Blackout for $149

bell_qualifier_dlx_blackout_helmet_matte_black_750x750.jpg

I just have never had a problem with a Bell helmet. And I have wrecked hard in the dirt and on the track, usually when wearing Bell.  

Also Bell makes the Transitions face shield for their helmets. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-star-vortex-transistions-photochromatic-face-shield?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5LbWBRDCARIsALAbcOc1VA6vJT0KPWe41deJPLaIaE5YEV6gnSzdK3PwXLD1f7P_yrkkTbAaAkQmEALw_wcB

I use this very shield and man, like the transitions glasses, they turn dark in a flash when in sunlight, turn clear when in cloudy low UV conditions. They work great, and you get spoiled wearing this shield on your helmet. 

Alot of great deals on the the links above, I'm just very partial to Bell Helmets and the transitions shield. 

• Global Moderator

I have a  Bell RS-1 (they do not make it anymore) with a Transitions shield.  I love the shield and would not buy another helmet that did not have that option.  It will be a bit limiting when I buy my next helmet. 

+1 for Bell Qualifier.  I have one and love it.

Revzilla tells you the head shape too which is very helpful.

• Global Moderator

I love RevZilla.  I have sent them a lot of my money :)

7 hours ago, Kyuzo said:

This one rocks too. Got this as my 2nd backup. Really good in the wind. Little over $200 with tinted screen.  Also I like the middle clamp better than that of my EXO r2000. 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-r420-tracker-helmet

image.png.7d98e8c3ef9f69aba3c9ac2ceb654d24.png

I like that helmet alot 

I don't see that the photochromatic face shields are polarized and I have to have polarized lenses so my question is if I wore polarized sunglasses along with a helmet that has a photochromatic faceshield will everything appear too dark on a sunny day? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Beemer

Bigturbomax

I have been very, very happy with my HJC FG17. Fiberglass composite so its lighter than previous helmets ive owned. Good feel to the liner, pinlock ready. The chin vent flows better than anything ive worn. Top vents pretty good too. Has enough room for my sena 3S. Its reasonably quiet. I did install the $9 chin skirt. $170-$190 on revzilla. I got mine for $99 on closeout cuz it had an older graphic on it. Snell appoved too. It even has a locking visor like the RPHA series. 

www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-fg-17-helmet-solid?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpYvG5JS12gIViENpCh1NYwfjEAAYASAAEgLuavD_BwE

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

I don't see that the photochromatic face shields are polarized and I have to have polarized lenses so my question is if I wore polarized sunglasses along with a helmet that has a photochromatic faceshield will everything appear too dark on a sunny day? Does anyone have any experience with this?

The photo chromatic lens does not get super dark. You'd be fine wearing polarized glasses under a darkened Transitions shield on a sunny day. But if you're wearing sunglasses, it pretty much negates the need for the tinted shield.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

For those with half a brain

714-741_A.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

DOT in this case stands for Deadly on TOP...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

4 hours ago, DewMan said:

The photo chromatic lens does not get super dark. You'd be fine wearing polarized glasses under a darkened Transitions shield on a sunny day. But if you're wearing sunglasses, it pretty much negates the need for the tinted shield.

Thanks! I was thinking that if it only gets as dark as a medium tint then I'll be fine and if and when I'm still on the bike when it starts getting darker out I can simply take the glasses off and have a clear shield instead of having to stop the bike to get the clear, night time glasses out from under the pillion. That would be less hassle than what I currently do so that would work well for me. If it's not real bright and no glare I probably wouldn't need the sunglasses at all.

Beemer

Wow. That's a LOT of helmet for that price. I'd be curious to know what the outer shell is made of, but it's DOT, so it can't be horrible. I'd give one a go. 

Thanks for pointing out the helmet, I just made the leap and bought one but I ordered a white one (gotta have white for this heat) from amazon that comes with the Transitions face shield and saved myself $40.

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Qualifier-DLX-Street-Helmet/dp/B077MG4T2K/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1523712355&sr=1-11&keywords=Bell+Qualifier+DLX

Can't wait to ride with it!

71a4O3K44NL._SL1500_.jpg

Beemer

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Beemer said:

Thanks for pointing out the helmet, I just made the leap and bought one but I ordered a white one (gotta have white for this heat) from amazon that comes with the Transitions face shield and saved myself $40.

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Qualifier-DLX-Street-Helmet/dp/B077MG4T2K/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1523712355&sr=1-11&keywords=Bell+Qualifier+DLX

Lookin nice. I see it's DOT, but is it SNELL certified?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

17 hours ago, Cruizin said:

DOT doesn't really mean a lot anymore.  Those dumb half helmets that Harley guys wear that are worthless, most of them are DOT. 

I agree that wearing a helmet with the surface coverage of a saucer is going to protect your head, but that's not to say that DOT ratings are bad because they approved these types of helmets. Those helmets are shet because they don't cover your head, but that's not what DOT was asked to test. The overall construction/materials used will withstand the impacts that DOT subjects them to, and that's all. DOT just tests the structural integrity of the overall build, not the ballistics of how it will act in a real life crash. 

The fact that those $50 helmets Beemer linked to passed DOT approval tells me that they must be built from decent materials. Beyond that I can't make any claims.  

3 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I agree that wearing a helmet with the surface coverage of a saucer is going to protect your head, but that's not to say that DOT ratings are bad because they approved these types of helmets. Those helmets are shet because they don't cover your head, but that's not what DOT was asked to test. The overall construction/materials used will withstand the impacts that DOT subjects them to, and that's all. DOT just tests the structural integrity of the overall build, not the ballistics of how it will act in a real life crash. 

The fact that those $50 helmets Beemer linked to passed DOT approval tells me that they must be built from decent materials. Beyond that I can't make any claims.  

As admin of a motorcycle website, I am absolutely compelled to dispense of such utter bullshet as DOT helmet testing.  New riders read what we type. Some newbie is gonna read that DOT mean's a helmet has actually been tested and is safe, buy some shitty $40 helmet and hot a curb and die or become "shitting in his pants" paralyzed for the rest of his miserable life. 

DOT doesn't test anything. They set a few basic standards and Manufacturers are left to "self test". IF they promise to self test a couple of their helmets, they get to put a DOT sticker on all of their helmets. These "self tests" and results are never provided to the DOT or to the public.  How can DOT certify something that has no test results, @shinyribs ?

Its a bunch of BS. A ruse. A Scam.  When flying thru the air, about to hit that car or tree, do you really want to be wearing a $40 helmet with a lil bullshet DOT sticker on the back? We are talking about human lives here. 

DOT stickers are worthless. DOT doesn't test the helmets, the manufacturers are not required to provide results from their self tests or even prove that they were self tested. And the DOT test guidelines do not require the the front, visor or chin area of a helmet be tested. Front facial impact crashes are a leading cause of death in many accidents.  

Settle for nothing less than Snell, which also has it's level of BS, but is better than DOT. 

https://jalopnik.com/dot-ratings-for-motorcycle-helmets-are-egregiously-outd-1823684018

7 hours ago, Beemer said:

71a4O3K44NL._SL1500_.jpg

My only problem with buying safety gear from Amazon is that there are so many examples of people buying a product from Amazon, and then getting some cheap Chinese knock off with the same look and sticker/logo, but of the product not being same quality. 

Please let us know how it works out. Personally, I stick with Revzilla, SBTG, or Cycle gear or other reputable retailers for my safety gear to ensure that the product I buy is genuine and might actually save my life. 

I got some ripoff gloves from Amazon last year. Thought I was buying a pair of Alpinestars from Amazon, looked real in the photos, had good reviews, the package arrived and the box looked authentic, the gloves looked for real, but then they started coming apart after like two rides. Turns out they were really just chinese knockoffs.   My son ordered Raybans for $89 and a pair of chinese knockoffs arrived.

I stopped buying important stuff from Amazon, unless fulfilled directly by Amazon.  Again, please let us know if that shows up as authentic and true to size. 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Beemer said:

71a4O3K44NL._SL1500_.jpghttps://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-qualifier-dlx-helmet How did you save $40?? @Beemer

17 hours ago, Cruizin said:

As admin of a motorcycle website, I am absolutely compelled to dispense of such utter bullshet....

giphy.gif

Archived