The MT-07 Forum

Does anybody LIKE the engine braking?

cornerslider

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Hello all.... I read the posts on here almost daily. It seems like most of the people here get the ECU flashed to get rid of the engine braking. Does anybody here (besides me) LIKE the engine braking???? I come from a supermoto background, and I grew up on four-strokes. To me, the FZ-07's engine braking feels NORMAL.... I do about 80% track use, and I know my engine can brake more consistently than I can. To me, it just seems like one less variable to think about when I'm diving into a corner. I'm open to constructive criticism. If you want to bash me- "don't be a dick"-

Edited by cornerslider
  • Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I also come from a dirtbike background and use the engine brake for pretty much any anticipated stop. That's one of the reasons I've held off on the reflash-I'm afraid I'll get it and go flying into the back of the car because I'm so used to using the engine to come to a stop. 

• Global Moderator

I was more scared of people behind me not realizing how fast I was slowing down without the brake light coming on.  I also prefer less engine braking, but understand it is a preference and not everyone will share it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjh937 said:

I was more scared of people behind me not realizing how fast I was slowing down without the brake light coming on.  I also prefer less engine braking, but understand it is a preference and not everyone will share it. 

I usually rest my foot on the rear brake or gently squeeze the front just enough to activate the brake light. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Yeah, it's no problem... lived with it in almost all my vehicles to some degree all my life... and I'm in my 8th decade.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm not on this forum to criticize anyone, least of all someone who wants a thought provoking discussion on a topic. ✌️

I didn't mind the engine braking, once I got used to it. I didn't come from dirt bike background and can count on one hand how many times I've been on one. On a mental level I wasn't a fan of the gas shut off that causes the engine braking and the relatively jerky throttle response I believe it created. I felt it was a cheap solution to an EPA requirement more so than something done on purpose as performance enhancement.

Since the ECU flash I'm finding that it's easier for me to settle into a line and make mid turn corrections, if needed, easier without the heavy engine braking... but that may just be my lack of experience with it.

I flashed my ECU for many reasons, primarily to take full advantage of a new exhaust, smoothing of throttle response and probably  least of all to lessen the engine braking. 

If I'm being honest I don't miss the heavy engine braking and I don't mind the lessening of drive train lashing however minimal it was.  The only downside, to me, of losing the heavy engine braking is I may need brake pads a little sooner. 😁

Like @mjh937 I too was concerned with slowing down without brake lights due to the congestion where I live. If I wasn't thinking, I'd forget to do as @guylee suggested half the time.

I'm sure if you wanted an ECU flash that doesn't lessen  engine braking but gives you all the other added benefits they could hook you up with that as well.

Bottom line IMO  there is no right or wrong answer to engine braking. If you like it, that's cool if you don't like it... that's also cool.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, DewMan said:

On a mental level I wasn't a fan of the gas shut off that causes the engine braking and the relatively jerky throttle response I believe it created

^this.

I like the engine braking but hate the jerky throttle from the gas shutoff.

• Like 1

I love the engine braking and don't feel like it's severe, but I also am not a fan of the slight jerkiness the fuel cutoff creates. I would love to flash the jerkiness away, but refuse to lose the engine braking. I guess that's what you call a stalemate. I too grew up on dirtbikes, and I live in the mountains....engine braking is good. 

The engine braking is also fun when your riding buddies are like "Dude! You didn't even brake for that corner at all. Are you insane?!"  Oh, I slowed down..you just couldn't tell lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I found the engine braking very surprising for a road bike at first, but have grown to love it brapping around town.

I not only had no problem with the engine braking the first time I rode an FZ-07, but actually expected it.

I started riding motorcycles via dirt bikes, too, owned and rode Thumpers (large-displacement 4-strokes) a lot, and felt and still feel the FZ-07 engine braking is very normal-feeling and very useful to me.

I believe that if the FZ-07 engine braking is a real problem while street riding, I think your riding technique probably needs some practice.

Being in 1st gear and abruptly opening and then closing the throttle is a situation where you'd better be ready for the engine braking to be a factor and be able to anticipate that.

If it routinely catches you by surprise...

Edited by YZEtc
spelling

When I started riding the FZ the engine braking coupled with the soft front suspension made the jerking sensation of the throttle even more pronounced. I rode dirt bikes when I was younger and don't remember the engine braking but that is youth. Now I have flashed and there is some braking for me in the lower gears but is not as squirrely when in the higher gears. It works for me even in the mountains, but it did take some time to get used to it when in traffic.

I came from a dirt bike background as well and when I first got my FZ-07 the engine braking along with it's peppiness simply made me feel like I'd found the hot-rod bike I've always wanted. I loved that it felt that way. Rev matching helps with downshifting on any bike but it seemed I had to be more precise with it on this bike because it was so twitchy and the engine braking was so pronounced. I've wondered if the compression ratio had something to do with it as well. I don't know about anyone else but when I first got my bike it acted really weird at times during break-in. E.G., sometimes in the blink of an eye it would drop down a gear and back into the upper gear by itself and it did it savagely. It put the boys against the tank a couple times and it didn't feel good. It alarmed me but the more I thought about it I just figured it was a weird quirk with this electronic bike and that it would work itself out. I was right, it hasn't done that since, thank god! I've installed an EJK fuel controller since then so the bike no longer feels as wild. It's as if I broke the stallion, ha! There's one thing to be said about hard engine braking that most men would like, if you ride with your girl on the back, the harder she presses against your back the better it feels. Need I say more? 😉

• Like 1

Beemer

I loved it, recent flash left the brutality out of it, but I miss it, but will add it back with a tad more compression.  Dirt bike world as well including flat track TT and roadrace. 

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Yes, I love engine braking. You can also reduce it with proper throttle control if you do not like it. Unfortunately, for those disliking engine braking, there is no way that I know of that will allow you to raise the idle rpm, and with that reduce the braking effect. Life was simpler when bikes had carbs 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I loved it, recent flash left the brutality out of it, but I miss it, but will add it back with a tad more compression.  Dirt bike world as well including flat track TT and roadrace. 

Maybe with a tad more compression you could've got back in and won "that one race", lol!

You know I had to! 😉

I have to say, it's good to see people here that have ridden off-road and raced competitively. You can contribute so much here to help others, especially the noobs that may appear to be stupid to some people.

• Haha 1

Beemer

17 minutes ago, Beemer said:

I have to say, it's good to see people here that have ridden off-road and raced competitively. You can contribute so much here to help others, especially the noobs that may appear to be stupid to some people.

I am not sure, but me thinks there is a compliment as well as a stab here... Must anal-ise

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

2 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I am not sure, but me thinks there is a compliment as well as a stab here... Must anal-ise

Do you feel you fit that description? If not you have nothing to worry about.

Beemer

16 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Do you feel you fit that description? If not you have nothing to worry about.

I think everyone is stupid to some degree: some more than others while others make it an art form, but I dont discriminate :)

Edited by r1limited

You can considerably reduce the engine braking with the ECU reflash. It can get rid of the fuell cutoff at closed throttle/engine running.

Slipper clutch will make engine braking irrelevant ( and cost a lot, but I would still like one).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

17 hours ago, faffi said:

Unfortunately, for those disliking engine braking, there is no way that I know of that will allow you to raise the idle rpm, and with that reduce the braking effect.

You could easily fool the engine into thinking it's always running at cold start when it increases idle speed.

• Premium Member

at first it was aggressive but as the miles went on it felt "softer"... then I got an ECU reflash and it went away but enjoyed the "free wheeling" feeling alot more... then I learned that about tuning the FZ-07 which was an adventure and an education...now I got a Hordpower Airbox w/Yoshi exhaust using a PCV with my ECU flashed back to OEM... now the engine braking is in the "goldilocks zone"... 

The PCV will tune out the "deceleration injection"( aka engine braking) if its turned back on( off= strong braking, on= normal braking) just an FYI... 

if the Tracer700 GT or T7 or xsr700 has a "slip/assit" clutch we may be retrofit that into the FZ-07... we did the same thing with the older FJ-09's for like $225 ...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

There are some very nice slippers for the 07....at not very nice prices. If I was tracking it , it would have one...definitely ( I love 'em).

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...