The MT-07 Forum

Does anybody LIKE the engine braking?

cornerslider

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

There are some very nice slippers for the 07....at not very nice prices. If I was tracking it , it would have one...definitely ( I love 'em).

Rekluse just got sold to Race Winning Brands, I sure hope this does not make the product go down hill.  Best cheater mod I ever put on my cross country 426 was that clutch.  Nothing like waiving to mudd suckers on a hill as you pw426 up it....

http://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews.com/rekluse-motor-sports-acquired-by-race-winning-brands/

Edited by r1limited

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
cornerslider
15 hours ago, norcal616 said:

at first it was aggressive but as the miles went on it felt "softer"... then I got an ECU reflash and it went away but enjoyed the "free wheeling" feeling alot more... then I learned that about tuning the FZ-07 which was an adventure and an education...now I got a Hordpower Airbox w/Yoshi exhaust using a PCV with my ECU flashed back to OEM... now the engine braking is in the "goldilocks zone"... 

The PCV will tune out the "deceleration injection"( aka engine braking) if its turned back on( off= strong braking, on= normal braking) just an FYI... 

if the Tracer700 GT or T7 or xsr700 has a "slip/assit" clutch we may be retrofit that into the FZ-07... we did the same thing with the older FJ-09's for like $225 ...

Thank you to all that replied!! I too have the "Hordpower" intake. I run his map in my PCV, (with the speed sensor tap) and Akrapovic Ti exhaust. I get the "Goldilocks Zone"!!! My ECU is untouched.... I didn't notice any less engine braking, but it is definitely smoother, and more predictable than before. Nice to have a discussion, without having to be "right". 

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Bigturbomax

I personally like the engine braking too. Ive always had manual tranmission cars. Prior to owning the FZ, i owned a '75 honda XL70(learned on a '75 XR75), an '84 honda XR250L, a '94 suzuki katana 600, a '90 yzfr600, and an '84 yamaha SR250 (cafe'd out). Also spent alot of time riding good buddies bikes that i maintained or repaired including on '07 hyosung GV250, an '84 honda magna v65, an '84 honda sabre v65 and lastly an '06 gsxr600. Having said all that, engine braking is second nature too me. I find it a useful tool in my skillset more than anything. Even on stock tune i didnt find the particular heft of this bikes engine braking objectionable. I think this bike brings the braking on a little more abruptly than some, but like all bikes its just part of this machines character. They are all different and have their own quirks. So in my mind- it is what it is and i use it to my advantage. Also, my riding instructor back when taught me to always utilizes engine braking in conjuction with hand/foot brake. That way it becomes muscle memory and you can allow it to help you even in a panic stop. 

Edited by Bigturbomax

On 4/9/2018 at 9:49 PM, guylee said:

I also come from a dirtbike background and use the engine brake for pretty much any anticipated stop. That's one of the reasons I've held off on the reflash-I'm afraid I'll get it and go flying into the back of the car because I'm so used to using the engine to come to a stop. 

I like the engine braking as well. When I got my ECU flashed by 2WDW I asked that they not alter the engine braking and they left it alone. You can still get a flash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/9/2018 at 6:20 PM, cornerslider said:

Hello all.... I read the posts on here almost daily. It seems like most of the people here get the ECU flashed to get rid of the engine braking. Does anybody here (besides me) LIKE the engine braking???? I come from a supermoto background, and I grew up on four-strokes. To me, the FZ-07's engine braking feels NORMAL.... I do about 80% track use, and I know my engine can brake more consistently than I can. To me, it just seems like one less variable to think about when I'm diving into a corner. I'm open to constructive criticism. If you want to bash me- "don't be a dick"-

I love it.  I think it feels nice and being in the Central Valley in Ca, I do a lot of mountain riding and honestly I think it helps with that a lot on the down hill ride.

I like it, however I did have 2WDW disable it with the tune they're doing for me. Gonna see just how much of a difference it makes, especially with the throttle response when I'm going on and off the throttle constantly when I get stuck in rush hour traffic and then I can decide whether I really want it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Littlebriar
On 4/9/2018 at 11:34 PM, i28 said:

I like the engine braking but hate the jerky throttle from the gas shutoff.

+1

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

I don't mind the engine braking at all.  I also started in dirt so it's natural to me.  The only thing I don't like is that your right hand is pretty much glued to the throttle  (not a problem on dirt bikes).  Most times this is ok, but on long stretches of highway, it would be nice to be able to shake your hand out without slowing down so much.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

I too want to get into beating this dead horse 😄 (I am back at posting after a long time so I am resurrecting this old thread ...).  I like engine braking.  Perhaps because I learned how to drive with drum brakes that stopped the vehicle ...next week.  

But also because I am lazy:  the FZ07 (I can't make myself use the new name) is such a little torque monster that downshifting when slowing down is not all that necessary.  Just lay off the throttle a bit and then get back on it.

If everyone liked things the same way, the world would be very boring...

Marco

• Like 4

I like it.  It gives an alternative control facility. My pads could last forever.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

When I first got my FZ the engine braking seemed so strong, now I really don’t notice it that much. I like it and will probably leave it.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

The engine breaking on this bike isn't even that bad/strong. The R3 and MT09 are much worst with their savage injector cut.

• Premium Member

I had the fuel cut off removed when I had my 2WDW flash done. I much prefer the Engine braking lessened.

I didn't like the way it unsettled the bike anytime you rolled off the throttle even a little bit when going in anything other than a full upright straight direction on smooth pavement. It probably didn't help that it wasn't sprung correctly for my weight at that time but I've since corrected that problem as well. ✌️

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Grant31781
On 5/28/2018 at 2:13 PM, rider said:

I don't mind the engine braking at all.  I also started in dirt so it's natural to me.  The only thing I don't like is that your right hand is pretty much glued to the throttle  (not a problem on dirt bikes).  Most times this is ok, but on long stretches of highway, it would be nice to be able to shake your hand out without slowing down so much.

Get a throttle lock. I love mine.

• Like 1

there are no engine braking settings on the 7.  It is not fly by wire.  The harsh engine braking on roll off is from the fueling being lean.

Any time an engine is on the lean side it will fall on its face much more with any throttle closing.  This makes mid corner corrections difficult to impossible to be smooth and will add to the tendency to stop sign a corner.

I find with mine properly tuned(flashed)  it still has plenty of engine braking if I roll off completely but is much less harsh and smooth when only rolling partly out. 

• Like 1

I've lived with the heavy engine braking for a year and about 2600 miles of commuter travel.

There are times when I actually like it, like when using the engine to slow down from "aggressive" speeds to posted speeds, but when I'm buzzing through downtown, from stop light to stop light, I hate it because it "throws" me into the tank, balls first.

Just shipped the ECU off to 2WDW. Looking forward to seeing how different the ride is when it returns.

Edited by stache
bad typing
  • Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:18 PM, wrxer said:

Never understood all this engine braking talk on the FZ.  

Ever watch a boat on the water and see what happens when the capn. cuts the throttle? The front of the boat pitches down, right? The same thing happens to the front end of a bike when the fuel is cut off. 😉

• Like 1

Beemer

I love engine braking. Barely use my front brakes when I'm slowing down for a red light from afar. Also upgraded cbr struts in the back, ak ti exhaust, and big ol kn filter makes downshifting and engine braking the shet to little kids on the street. 

The only bad thing is on and off around corners. Seems to me it's either no brake or engine brake. Wished they could of smoothed it out but oh well. 

I like it.  I've used engine braking with all the stick shift cars I've owned so implementing into riding was natural for me