The MT-07 Forum

R3 damper swap??

Bigturbomax

Bigturbomax

I cant be the first one to have thought of this...just wonder if anyone has done it? Im of the understanding that the internal damper would swap right over. From my limited research they are way better matched comp/rebound than the fz07 and are dirt cheap for the OE parts from yamaha. Seems like for $60 in dampers with what? $30 of fork oil and $30 preload adjusters i already have installed, i could theroretically improve the front end a good bit. Just keep the stock fz springs as they are actually pretty close to the mark for my weight. Is this crazy talk????

14 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

I cant be the first one to have thought of this...Is this crazy talk????

1. you're not.

2. no

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Bigturbomax

Ok. Good to know im not completely out of my mind here haha. I think i may just order the r3 dampers and try em out. 

4 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Ok. Good to know im not completely out of my mind here haha. I think i may just order the r3 dampers and try em out. 

So much material, yet,, I just cant go there ;)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Bigturbomax
1 hour ago, r1limited said:

So much material, yet,, I just cant go there ;)

Thanks for showing mercy R1!

Bigturbomax
16 hours ago, pattonme said:

1. you're not.

2. no

Well, i definately cant afford cartridges. I dont think emulators are worth it for me as i dont have the time or experience to tune them. I have overhauled forks in the past tho, so im comfortable with tear down and spring/damper changes. I have no time, money or desire for track days. So i basically want a better balanced street set up that doesnt break the bank. I think this set up would meet my needs. I plan to do an airbox mod and put the cbr600 showa shock on the rear later. I wonder if thicker fork oil with R3 dampers would be ideal. @pattonme have you played with these dampers at all? You think ill see a reasonable improvement in stability from this?

3 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Well, i definately cant afford cartridges. I dont think emulators are worth it for me as i dont have the time or experience to tune them. I have overhauled forks in the past tho, so im comfortable with tear down and spring/damper changes. I have no time, money or desire for track days. So i basically want a better balanced street set up that doesnt break the bank. I think this set up would meet my needs. I plan to do an airbox mod and put the cbr600 showa shock on the rear later. I wonder if thicker fork oil with R3 dampers would be ideal. @pattonme have you played with these dampers at all? You think ill see a reasonable improvement in stability from this?

Kind of in the same boat, suspenders are expensive, debated sending them down to After shocks but thats a few bills I just need for other things.  I am simply thinking Springs and Yamaha 01 shock oil.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

The racetech GVE's are easy to tune and, unless you are tracking the bike , you only do it once. The original base tune from racetech was WRONG. They revised it after I had removed them and gutted my forks and put pattonme's internals in. The later settings would have been MUCH better than the original but not as good as pattonme's guts.. For street riding they would be VERY good. You need the right fork springs though. Worth the upgrade.

A proper shock is definitely a worthy upgrade. Probably the best money you can spend on the 07. My choice now would be base level Ohlins

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Yam 01 shock oil is going to be damn thin. You need a pretty hefty oil to get the rebound under control. Now obviously the thicker the oil you run the more it's going to show up the compression deficiencies and that's where GVE-like solutions (and requisite extra holes) can help. The R3 damper rods mean you don't have to go so crazy thick on the oil and the rebound damping will be tolerable.

No, I've done precious little work on the OE (or R3) dampers because I have no interest in dicking around with them. Years ago I did all my bikes with GVE and tried upteen different things and was never happy with the results. And that's why I created the "original" cartridge retrofit.

PS. Zoran (TWF), Max (Traxxion) and myself had the same idea about the same time. 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Interesting conversation, I'm reading along to gain some insight to how this will turn out. 

The 07 shock is rebuildable. A spring the right rate and a revalve would be workable but would probably cost more ( or similar) to a aftermarket superior shock. I would only do it if racing in a class which insisted on stock shock body ( like a lot of proddy classes do).

rear shock (1).JPG

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

The 07 shock is rebuildable. A spring the right rate and a revalve would be workable but would probably cost more ( or similar) to a aftermarket superior shock. I would only do it if racing in a class which insisted on stock shock body ( like a lot of proddy classes do).

rear shock (1).JPG

It can be rebuilt but you would need to add valve or way to charge it.

What race class require stock shock? 

Aussie Proddie classes often require external forks and shock remain the same but springing and internals may be changed. Stupid rules as often costs more to revalve than add a quality shock. The original idea was to keep the price of racing down. Another law of unintended consequences. Both the Qld. 250 production and Formula 3 rules had that in them.

Yeah the gas charged shock means well equipped workshop or pro level shop to recharge it and safely discharge it. Not a home job for most people ( including me). Then you need the expertise to revalve it. But the right person with the right tools can do it. It isn't a sealed unit.

1 hour ago, gregjet said:

Aussie Proddie classes often require external forks and shock remain the same but springing and internals may be changed. Stupid rules as often costs more to revalve than add a quality shock. The original idea was to keep the price of racing down. Another law of unintended consequences. Both the Qld. 250 production and Formula 3 rules had that in them.

Yeah the gas charged shock means well equipped workshop or pro level shop to recharge it and safely discharge it. Not a home job for most people ( including me). Then you need the expertise to revalve it. But the right person with the right tools can do it. It isn't a sealed unit.

We don't have that problem around here with rules :)

It is not just equipment. You can't discharge it or charge as is. You have to drill hole and install charging port. Shock is not meant to be rebuilt.

They rebuild them here all the time, but yeah, it is a pain in the butt.

Bigturbomax
On 4/12/2018 at 1:01 PM, pattonme said:

Yam 01 shock oil is going to be damn thin. You need a pretty hefty oil to get the rebound under control. Now obviously the thicker the oil you run the more it's going to show up the compression deficiencies and that's where GVE-like solutions (and requisite extra holes) can help. The R3 damper rods mean you don't have to go so crazy thick on the oil and the rebound damping will be tolerable.

No, I've done precious little work on the OE (or R3) dampers because I have no interest in dicking around with them. Years ago I did all my bikes with GVE and tried upteen different things and was never happy with the results. And that's why I created the "original" cartridge retrofit.

PS. Zoran (TWF), Max (Traxxion) and myself had the same idea about the same time. 

Totally fair and i appreciate your insight. I guess at this point, i just want to verify that the R3 dampers will fit properly in the FZ07 fork assemblies. 

• 1 month later...
Bigturbomax

@pattonmeso im gonna proceed with the R3 damper swap and am getting ready to order parts. Do you have a recommendation for fork oil? Also, i cant find the thread now but recall there being a component in the forks you had said was the wrong size. How do i get the correct one?

hmm, I was probably referencing the seal/wiper at the top of the damper rod. There is no correct part per se, you have to live with the shet the factory gives you. I reckon you want a 40cSt@40 for starters.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member
11 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Is one quart enough to refill my forks? 

Yes, one quart will do 😎

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Archived