The MT-07 Forum

Rear brake rotor edge rubbing

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

When pushing my bike around, I can hear the rear brake rotor scraping as the rear wheel spins. I also notice the edges of the rotor are scraped. I have no doubt riding around is making it worse, however, I notice no adverse brake performance when riding.

Anyone know why this might happen? Is it a wheel alignment issue? My left side is at "4 1/4" lines and my right side is at "4 1/2" lines, so they aren't perfectly equal. But I would find it weird if that small of a difference causes this.

See the scrape on the outside edge in the top right of the 1st pic. It's hard to see but every one of those protruding edges has a similar scuff on it where it has been ground down.

sv4GgRN.jpg

kHfKTY4.jpg

have you looked in from the back of the caliper to see how much pad material is left?

If the pads are worn to the backing plates, you'll have metal rubbing on the disks.

Kinda looks like the outer pad is worn ad the back plate is real, real close to the rotor

Or you picked something up and its toasting yoru rotor but more than likely pads are shot

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

The right pad if not completely gone is dang microscopic close!!!! What you are looking at is the back plate the pad is glued to. There's a bit of material left on the the inner pad, but I'm gonna recommend you not touch the back brake lever until you have new pads - better yet, don't ride

The good news is that you've caught it just in time - any further and you'd be replacing the rear rotor as well as the pads.

Replace the all, But ya thats is damn worn out

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

AlbatrossCafe

Crap haha. I thought back plate was the pad and that little sliver behind it was the back plate. Hopefully the local Kawasaki dealer has front/rear pads that will fit. I assume they are universal enough.

You'll have to do some cross-referencing, but it's a good bet the 650 Kaw uses a similar caliper and pads. 

This is what a new rear pad looks like - It's for my Aprilia with 2 pistons on one side, so longer, but you can get an idea of what's now missing on yours

IMG_1754.JPG

Looks like what you need is something like the EBC FA174 according to this  https://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Organic-Brake-Pads-for-Yamaha-FZ-07-689cc-2-Cyl-2015/132220601761?hash=item1ec8f645a1:g:fpAAAOSwDFBaBRGq&vxp=mtr

There's a cross listing here https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/ebc-fa174-rear-organic-brake-pads

Not telling you to buy these EBC pads (though they are usually pretty good products - I have EBC rotors on my Priller and they're as nice as the OE Brembos), just used this number to cross reference to other models.

Hah, lots of Kaws to choose from - but my guess at the Ninja 650 - nope

Just noticed something else - the holes in that rotor are nearly filled with crud. Poke something thru them to clean out the holes. The chucked end of a drill bit that fits loosely will do it. 

4k monitors are wonderful things! 

AlbatrossCafe

Working on it this evening. The good news is, you guys were right and the rear pads are SUPER worn. Luckily, the fronts aren't so bad and I won't have to emergency change them tonight.

This is the non-rubbing side compared to new:

NmkWnPm.jpg

And you can see the rubbing side is literally ground so much that the rotor is chipping into it:

LXmxXnZ.jpg

Both of the old pads are about the same thickness of ONE new pad. I couldn't even get close to fitting both new pads in the caliper, let alone fitting the disc between them afterwards. I finally figured out that I could use a pair of pliers to squeeze the piston back in and make more room.

Now I just need to figure out how to put the new pads in. If only I paid attention to how I took the old ones out... lol

Lessons learned the hard way are the easiest to remember! Pat on the back for getting dirty and getting it fixed. 

AlbatrossCafe

Thanks all, this definitely fixed my rubbing issue! A quick test drive around the block showed me that I could lock up the rear tire pretty easily.

Took me WAY too long. Probably about an hour and a half between running around looking at the internet and going back. Now that I know what to do, I suspect it would take me about 15 minutes 😁

As the real stopping power comes from the front, now you need to learn how to use them more and give the rear pads a break. .

My Aprilia is now 16 years old. I've been thru 3 sets of front pads - but still on the OE rear ones!

I find rear pads to be a pita to replace sometimes. The front ones are almost always easier. One little trick to aid in getting the piston back in - put a hose on the bleeder to collect the fluid, and then crack it open a bit. This will allow the piston to be pushed in easily.

Yer probably due for new brake fluid anyway.

Let me also suggest a box of nitrile gloves 😉

Does anyone think he should also check to make sure the piston isn't hanging up so that the pads aren't dragging on the rotor and wearing out prematurely or is that being too paranoid???

Beemer

OK IMA GONNA CALL THE DOMESTIC BIKE VIOLENCE PoePoe

This is outragious, inhuman where is the protestestes I mean Brake Lives Matter man

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, rick said:

One little trick to aid in getting the piston back in - put a hose on the bleeder to collect the fluid, and then crack it open a bit. This will allow the piston to be pushed in easily.

Let me also suggest a box of nitrile gloves 😉

+1 on this advice, that bake dust is unhealthy S##t.

5 minutes ago, fzar said:

+1 on this advice, that bake dust is unhealthy S##t.

When I was a youngster, brake pad compounds still had asbestos. Can't tell you how many times, while changing out brake shoes in old drum brakes for my dad, I'd take a deep breath and blow that nasty, carcinogenic dust out of the drum and all over me. If I had to do now. I'd use a shop vac with a HEPA filter. How times have changed! 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, rick said:

When I was a youngster, brake pad compounds still had asbestos. Can't tell you how many times, while changing out brake shoes in old drum brakes for my dad, I'd take a deep breath and blow that nasty, carcinogenic dust out of the drum and all over me. If I had to do now. I'd use a shop vac with a HEPA filter. How times have changed! 

"How times have changed" Ya know that along with doing construction all through the early 80's to present day, times have changed a lot. I'm sure I'll have health issues a little later in life!!! Or will I!! Immune system is firing on all cylinders. My kid's won't eat a french fry that their sibling touched, I drank out of streams when galavanting around for hours on end, and eat carrots straight from the field, with a little dusting off. Why!! I was hungry and 10 years old. To that I'll add my kid's get sick with a 10 degree F change in temp. Yeah I hear ya that Hashbestos was nasty stuff. But your here, and alive and kicking, so until my body says it can't continue, I'll accept what was, and what is, and keep going.

33 minutes ago, rick said:

When I was a youngster, brake pad compounds still had asbestos

That howl asbestos thing is such bullshit.  I road Clear Creek CCM for years it is the epicenter for long fiber asbestos and there has been ZERO accounts of mesothelioma in the 100 plus years of New Idra and surrounding area of the inhabitants or minors of the area.  The FDA has falsified and lied to the american people on this matter.  All that Shipyard scare of WWII ship yard workers with cancer is false as 95% of those with lung cancer SMOKED.  I was exposed to asbetsos in San Franciso, called the CDC and was told short of eating it like a pancake your pretty damn safe.  

Sorry got off on a rant

Tell that to the people of Libby Montana. Maybe they all smoked.

No, exposure doesn't absolutely make it deadly. Lots of exposure puts one at higher risk. Smoking on top of that really raises the risks of dying younger than need be.

Mesothelioma is real. It biopsies differently from other lung cancers. And a lung filled with teeny, sharp fibers all causing inflammation can't be good.  

AlbatrossCafe
5 hours ago, rick said:

As the real stopping power comes from the front, now you need to learn how to use them more and give the rear pads a break. .

My Aprilia is now 16 years old. I've been thru 3 sets of front pads - but still on the OE rear ones!

No idea why my rears blew through so quick. Could be what Beemer said below. I do use a lot of engine braking so I doubt that I am really slamming my rear brakes that much harder than the front. Maybe it is because the front has 2 rotors and the rear only has 1? But that is common on a lot of bikes...

But yeah, I am doing brake fluid and valve clearance check this weekend. I just needed to be able to make it through the rest of my week's commute.

4 hours ago, Beemer said:

Does anyone think he should also check to make sure the piston isn't hanging up so that the pads aren't dragging on the rotor and wearing out prematurely or is that being too paranoid???

Do you mean to check if the piston is "retracting" properly?

19 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

No idea why my rears blew through so quick. Could be what Beemer said below. I do use a lot of engine braking so I doubt that I am really slamming my rear brakes that much harder than the front. Maybe it is because the front has 2 rotors and the rear only has 1? But that is common on a lot of bikes...

But yeah, I am doing brake fluid and valve clearance check this weekend. I just needed to be able to make it through the rest of my week's commute.

Do you mean to check if the piston is "retracting" properly?

Yes, that.

Beemer

R1,

The whole asbestos thing definitely is not BS. The problem is the same as the panic from saying all fats are dangerous. Easy to whip up alarm. We now know all fats are not the same and a whole heap are actually good for you.

Asbestos is from the family of minerals called the zeolites and a sub group thereof. There are really nasty asbestos and perfectly fine asbestos. Unfortunately politicians are not very smart and like causing fear . The Australian asbestos from the Wittenoon area was blue asbestos. Deadly. Huge number of asbestos related deaths etc. Blue asbestos. Short monoclinic( needle shaped) fibres. Unfortunately Australia exported it all over the world...

The big problem is that most asbestos products you don't know which one is in them. And while they are bound in a matrix they are perfectly fine.  The Clear Creek stuff is long fibre white asbestos and a lot less prone to microfirbring and associated danger.

Like radiation poisoning not all people are vunerable. The problem is of course we don't know who is and who isn't.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived