The MT-07 Forum

Anxiously Awaiting my 2018 MT 07

stevenwashere12

stevenwashere12

Hey guys,

So about a week ago I put the money down, signed some papers and traded in the little R3 in exchange for a brand new 2018 MT 07 (now even north America has the "Master of Torque designation!). I haven't actually seen my bike yet because I bought it before the dealer even got it but I'm super stoked. Should be in my garage by next week.

Anyone have any quirks or anything I should know about before I pick up the new wheels? Just curious cuz I know the R3 had a couple surprises when I first picked it up (clunking in the clutch area when in neutral and that kind of stuff).

Anyway i plan on posting a bunch of pictures when i grab it finally. Look forward to keeping in touch with other members around here!

Aside from adjusting the levers to your liking, the only real gripe I had with my '17 FZ07 was that the headlight was aimed waaay too low.  Like I could only see 50ft in front of the bike low lol.  I guess it's a dealership setup issue but I've heard of others say the same thing. 

Also, unless they remapped the ECU, be prepared for heavy engine braking.  I know it kinda surprised me the first time I rode one since I wasn't used to it.

Congrats on the bike and let us know how you like it!

"Anyone have any quirks or anything" Haaa, ha! Not laughing at you, it's just honestly funny that you should ask because there are a lot of things about this bike that people have complained about but not everyone complains about the same things. For instance, some people are OK with the seat but many others aren't. Some are Ok with the tires but most aren't. Some like the mirrors, others hate them. So a lot of it comes down to personal preference. The suspension on the 18' has supposedly improved some and you may be OK with it but from what I've read many people wouldn't be OK with them either. You will have to decide for yourself and that's (the suspension) about the biggest improvement you can make to this bike.

That headlight may need some adjustment, here's some pics to show you where the adjustment screw is, it's right behind the left side fork tube, that screw that's right in the middle of the pic. If I recall correctly, I had to turn that adjustment screw counter clock wise to raise the beam. Also, there isn't much difference in height between low/high beam, they're almost the same so I suggest turning the high beam on an get it set to where it's pointing straight out in front of you so that way the the low beam won't be pointing in peoples eyes but yet higher than how it is when you receive it. Mine was set way too low before I got my bike, also.

Also, I would recommend a new bulb over that yellowish, dim factory bulb. there are a number of good aftermarket lights out there and it seems they all have their pros and cons. the one I bought that is very popular is the Cyclops 3800 lumen bulb. There is now the 7k lumen bulb. DewMan rode mine down the street the other day after installing an R6 throttle tube (something you may wish to do later) for me and from a city block away, in the daytime, my head light looked super bright coming toward me like a freakin' freight train light. It's that bright, you really notice it. It might not have the best light pattern on the market but no one can say it isn't bright enough or an improvement over the factory candle light. Take some time to read up on all the lights talked about on the forum and choose. Don't just take peoples word for everything, ride yours for awhile and you may find that what others aren't OK with you might be.

Be your own judge or you will be forever buying parts.

IMG_0785.JPG

Beemer

Solid advice from Beemer there!

I agree on everything he said, I rode mine for a few months and started changing things that bugged me. First thing to go was the seat, I replaced it with a Seat Concepts kit that I got installed locally which made a big difference in the amount of time I can comfortably ride it.

Followed that up with bar-end mirrors (for the looks, really) and a headlight bulb after I ran over road kill in the middle of the road that I couldn't see until it was too late too avoid.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the stock suspension but coming off a 250 without anything else to compare it too, I have yet to feel the need to replace it. 

Enjoy the bike though, it's an absolute blast!

• Global Moderator

If I was going to do my mods again I would start with the ECU flash then suspension, grip heaters and seat followed by all the cosmetic upgrades.  I waited two years to do the ECU flash and have just now started on my suspension (rear is done and front is going out later this week).  Just changing the shock made an amazing difference and I am looking forward to getting the front done.  Just my $0.02 :)

stevenwashere12

Right on, thanks for all the feed back. I've heard about the suspension problems, but like @thedriver1 I'm coming off of small bikes so I'm not sure how soon I'll notice its shortcomings (also hoping that the 2018 updates sort it a little). I've also been looking around at tuning but that will probably wait until I can afford an exhaust too. Guess we'll just have to see! 

Now if only spring would get its shet together so I can actually find out!

Thanks again.

10 hours ago, stevenwashere12 said:

I've also been looking around at tuning but that will probably wait until I can afford an exhaust too. 

I did the flash way before the exhaust. It smoothed out the power delivery and engine braking.

I also get free reflashes so when I get an exhaust (next month, I hope!), I'll just ship it back in.

• 2 weeks later...
stevenwashere12

Its here....

I finally got it! So excited! Now if only this weather would cooperate! Got to ride a little bit and really the stock pipe isn't as bad as I thought! 

The stock pipe isn't BAD. It IS heavy, and overly quiet. You do not HAVE to change, but the weight loss is always good.

Spend the money on an ecu reflash and suspension. Better ride for the money.

One thing about bad weather is you do get hyped up about not being able to ride while the ECU gets done.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived