The MT-07 Forum

tracer 700 possible for USA?

johnakay

• 4 months later...

Ive had my fingers crossed for a while now. I sure hope we do get one soon.

• 1 month later...

All I got out of that was Cycle World hoping to see the U.S. get it. Not even a fart in our direction from Yamaha. 

Beemer

15 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I think we will get it eventually. 

Agreed, eventually. Maybe ours should be named the Procrastinator 700. Kinda has a ring to it like the "Terminator", only it's a little slower. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beemer

I didn't even know the Tracer existed when I bought my FZ. I want one really bad now, but to be honest I'd like to have a naked tracer. Give me the big tank and seat/tail, but keep the fairing and all the extra weight up top that comes with it. 

• Global Moderator
59 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I didn't even know the Tracer existed when I bought my FZ. I want one really bad now, but to be honest I'd like to have a naked tracer. Give me the big tank and seat/tail, but keep the fairing and all the extra weight up top that comes with it. 

i'd be down for this version.
it's not a bad idea to say the least

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

3 hours ago, sorkyah said:

i'd be down for this version.
it's not a bad idea to say the least

Kawasaki has a Versys set up like this. But the overweight and underpowered compared to the 07. Otherwise I would jump ship and rock a Versys. 

I've been doing some googling and I can buy all the Tracer seat/tail/tank stuff from salvage joints on eBay uk for not a whole lot more than the price of a Corbin Gunfighter. I'd have to do some fab work though, and that'd wreck the trade in/ resell value of my FZ if the Tracer does show up, which would royally suck!

• Global Moderator

Just wish our tank was larger, or had an option to be larger

There's certainly room... Just make the body panels a bit bigger

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

15 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Kawasaki has a Versys set up like this. But the overweight and underpowered compared to the 07. Otherwise I would jump ship and rock a Versys. 

I've been doing some googling and I can buy all the Tracer seat/tail/tank stuff from salvage joints on eBay uk for not a whole lot more than the price of a Corbin Gunfighter. I'd have to do some fab work though, and that'd wreck the trade in/ resell value of my FZ if the Tracer does show up, which would royally suck!

Before I bought my bike I'd had the Versys in mind, too but it didn't thrill me. I actually might've bought the R3 but my dealership said it was still a few months out from them getting it. I couldn't wait that long with cash in hand and a bad case of bike fever so FZ-07 it was. No regrets.

• Like 1

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Before I bought my bike I'd had the Versys in mind, too but it didn't thrill me. I actually might've bought the R3 but my dealership said it was still a few months out from them getting it. I couldn't wait that long with cash in hand and a bad case of bike fever so FZ-07 it was. No regrets.

No real regrets here either. This is my favorite bike ever ridden or owned. The fact that I'm 6'2", 220lbs , 32" inseam and can ride it from VA to AL and back non-stop definitely tells me the bike is capable. Pretty much nothing but a bar change and I'm comfy. Also, on that trip I was riding with a guy on a BMW S1000XR. He complained of helmet buffeting and I could visibly watch his head bobble behind his factory windshield. No dirty air on my clean naked bike at all. He was stretching his legs more than me, too. I got better fuel mileage, too. Never thought a lil 07 could out travel a BMW on the open road, and we were cruising at a steady 85mph.

The longer wheel travel ( possible plusher ride) and higher ground clearance of the Versys suggests a bigger bike, but they've actually got identical seat heights. That makes me wonder if the Versys would actually feel more cramped since the seat to peg distance is possibly closer on the Kawasaki. The FZ also has a longer wheelbase. Looks can be so deceptive. So the allure of the Versys being a bigger, more comfy FZ may not be the case at all. Did you ride the Versys? If so, what were your thoughts? 

The factory hard cases for the Versys are also tempting, except they're not top loaders, so that cancels that out. 

16 hours ago, sorkyah said:

Just wish our tank was larger, or had an option to be larger

There's certainly room... Just make the body panels a bit bigger

If the tank was actually the size of what the body panels are then our fuel capacity would probably massive. I'd guess around 6 gallons total. I don't think I could sit on any bike for that long at a time, but the peace of mind would be great. 

• Like 1

Seems to me that Yamaha wanted to lighten the bike's quoted wet weight. So, we got a small tank. I have fallen out of love with wet weights because it seems to be affecting bike design detrimentally. 

• Like 1

Just do it! 

Went to the dealership and sat on a Versys 650. Mmm...comfy. 

C'mon Yamaha, give us the Tracer. Don't make me buy a Kwak. 

Gonna line up a test ride on the Versys , but I'm pretty sure the engine will pale in comparisons to the mighty CP2. 

21 hours ago, shinyribs said:

No real regrets here either. This is my favorite bike ever ridden or owned. The fact that I'm 6'2", 220lbs , 32" inseam and can ride it from VA to AL and back non-stop definitely tells me the bike is capable. Pretty much nothing but a bar change and I'm comfy. Also, on that trip I was riding with a guy on a BMW S1000XR. He complained of helmet buffeting and I could visibly watch his head bobble behind his factory windshield. No dirty air on my clean naked bike at all. He was stretching his legs more than me, too. I got better fuel mileage, too. Never thought a lil 07 could out travel a BMW on the open road, and we were cruising at a steady 85mph.

The longer wheel travel ( possible plusher ride) and higher ground clearance of the Versys suggests a bigger bike, but they've actually got identical seat heights. That makes me wonder if the Versys would actually feel more cramped since the seat to peg distance is possibly closer on the Kawasaki. The FZ also has a longer wheelbase. Looks can be so deceptive. So the allure of the Versys being a bigger, more comfy FZ may not be the case at all. Did you ride the Versys? If so, what were your thoughts? 

The factory hard cases for the Versys are also tempting, except they're not top loaders, so that cancels that out. 

Nah, didn't get a chance to ride it, just studied it from afar. I never got the Versys fever. I have a feeling it would be a decent bike to travel on, maybe but it didn't compel me.

Beemer

10 hours ago, Beemer said:

Nah, didn't get a chance to ride it, just studied it from afar. I never got the Versys fever. I have a feeling it would be a decent bike to travel on, maybe but it didn't compel me.

Buddy, you didn't miss much. Decided to go ride one and there's no effing way I'm losing my 07 over that. No power, super revvy, a bit buzzy and very clumsy. Handles ok once rolling and never feels heavy at any speed, but it has that save nervous/clumsy front end that made me give up on the fz09. Throttle is jumpy, much jumpier than a 07. ABS must not be top notch because I kept sliding the rear tire. Oh yeah, the rear brake is much more responsive than ours lol. But seriously, it took so long for the ABS to kick in that it's useless. My reflexes shouldn't be 3-4 times faster than the ABS system. I had to drag a tire several feet before the system released it. However, I feel the exact same way about the 07 with ABS I rode. 

But the bags kick ass in every way, the seat absolutely rocks and the windshield is highly effective.  It'd be my dream bike if it had my 07's engine and handling. 

If anyone owns a Versys and is happy with it, for the love of God , never let them ride your 07. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have you tried a 2017+ ninja 650?  You get a full fairing, sportier handling, and 50 lbs less than the versys 650.  The sitting position is very similar to the fz 07, with a little more vibration, and a little less power.  The aftermarket for the ninja 650 isn't good at all, and the forum isn't active.  I'm not riding much due to cold weather, but a faired ninja 650, a big barn door windshield, handguards, and luggage would keep me riding all winter.

1 hour ago, minkster said:

Have you tried a 2017+ ninja 650?  You get a full fairing, sportier handling, and 50 lbs less than the versys 650.  The sitting position is very similar to the fz 07, with a little more vibration, and a little less power.  The aftermarket for the ninja 650 isn't good at all, and the forum isn't active.  I'm not riding much due to cold weather, but a faired ninja 650, a big barn door windshield, handguards, and luggage would keep me riding all winter.

The FZ-07 killed the Ninja 650 the day it was released. Surprised that Kawasaki still sells it. 

• 8 months later...
On 11/25/2018 at 6:57 PM, Cruizin said:

The FZ-07 killed the Ninja 650 the day it was released. Surprised that Kawasaki still sells it. 

Problem is lack of fairings for the freeway if you roll a lot of miles.  I added a Corbin seat to my 2017 N650 to fix a comfort issue.  The Ninja is a lot of easy fun (my nervous Street 765 is collecting dust).  But damn, I would kill for a Tracer 700/700GT in the USA, or a theoretical KTM 790 GT with half fairing.  I guess they expect us to shell out for a Tracer 900 in the USA.  The Versys 650 didn't get the update that the 650R got.

Edited by xorbe

I enjoyed riding the Z650. It has less 'spark' and is softer so it is different but is not to be ignored, imo.

Just do it! 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, robbo10 said:

Don't do it! He might slap import duty on it.

That or he might slap some sense into someone and get the bike over here. 😉

Beemer