The MT-07 Forum

Oh No! 13 days to GO TIME!

Stirz

Winter and Work have finally eased up enough to get this beast pulled together. Mr. Procrastination, that's me. Bike's been in the trailer since January and now I have 13 days until it needs to be ready - Yikes!

20180401_132130A.jpg

Day 1 - Started to strip her down and lose a bit of weight - 33 lbs gone...

First snag - airbox removal - looks like I'll need to pull the throttle bodies to make enough room to get it out. 

20180401_181558.thumb.jpg.e03527815d80992fd9fb0cf2715fe981.jpg

15 hours ago, Stirz said:

Day 1 - Started to strip her down and lose a bit of weight - 33 lbs gone...

First snag - airbox removal - looks like I'll need to pull the throttle bodies to make enough room to get it out. 

20180401_181558.thumb.jpg.e03527815d80992fd9fb0cf2715fe981.jpg

Hey just put some carpet down for a seat, Man all the stunna's will be like Say WUUUUT That is fo schinizil schnizel

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

removing the factory exhaust tumor for an aftermarket one will reduce even more weight... Lipo battery... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

55 minutes ago, randy2100 said:

The fork reflector needs to go!

Pegs, forks and oh ya drill lost a holes in the swinginy army thingy

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

5 hours ago, norcal616 said:

removing the factory exhaust tumor for an aftermarket one will reduce even more weight... Lipo battery... 

just sawzall it off and call it a day. It'll sound cool and be even lighter!

Day 2

@chademinent, I'm not sure whether you were messing with me or you are a Chinese-puzzle type genius. I struggled with that airbox for an hour and a half before I decided to go ahead and pull the throttle bodies. Rearsets, exhaust, airbox gone. 

Anyone weigh the factory exhaust? I think it's less than the R3 can, but was more than my feeble 10 lb kitchen scale would handle. 

20180402_220824.jpg

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Stirz said:

Anyone weigh the factory exhaust? I think it's less than the R3 can, but was more than my feeble 10 lb kitchen scale would handle. 

Per Akrapovic's website the factory exhaust weighs in at 15.9lb/7.2kg.

And per the same source, you are correct, the R3 exhaust weighs in at 18.1lb/8.2kg

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Day 3

Thanks @DewMan. Like a yoyo diet, take weight off then put it back on. Managed to replace shock and add the uber sweet airbox. Started mounting exhaust, then realized the increase in ride height could result in a possible conflict between the swingarm and the Yosh exhaust mount at lower travel limit, so next task will be to modify the mount to provide clearance. Airbox and shock sourced from Andy Palmer.

.20180403_214853.thumb.jpg.d76521bcccee29e07ccb7ce0c291cb9f.jpg

• 2 months later...

20180418_202053.thumb.jpg.915775cf4d0f2c8ce0ce075cd77d5b7d.jpgGot super busy with other crap and sadly did not make my finish date - but all is not lost, we are now good to go. Some progress shots: R6 Front mocked up, relocate VR. 

There are no instructions I knew of to guide me through the build, so a lot of it was "figure it out as you go". During bodywork fit-up, I discovered that the ECU and VR both needed relocation to get the tank cover to mount. Lots of unneeded relays for hazard and signal lights - you do need to keep the cooling fan relay and the fuel pump relays. I ended up doing something I had not really planned or wanted to do - I ended up chopping the harness to get rid of unneeded wiring so I could make room to cram everything under the tank. It ended up working out fine, but going back to stock wiring may be problematic if I ever decide to do it. Red line is IC wiring, blue was simplified key switch eliminator

20180422_183143.jpg

Mods so far:

R6 front end and wheels, brakes, MC

Rearsets and clip-ons (Woodcraft/vortex)

Shock and carts, AP moto shock link

AP moto bodywork, and sweet airbox

Vortex chain conversion (520) - not shown this photo

Steering damper (ohlins), shark fin (woodcraft)

Powercommander 5

Slipper clutch (sigma), replace brake lines (galfer), 

Yosh exhaust, LiPo battery. 

20180603_135016a.jpg

• Premium Member

Exciting! Anything else you're doing or are you ready to go?

Question - Frame sliders are cool for track? Just curious to hear your thoughts as many I feel have differing thoughts when it comes to possible high speed accidents. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I'm racing it with UtahSBA this season, so yeah - dedicated race bike. 

Sliders - hopefully I won't have to 'performance test' them any time soon - but I generally go full-meal deal: Sliders, case covers, etc. - they generally pay for themselves the first time I toss it down the track....and I will sooner or later. 

_B3A8100.jpg

38 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Don't forget toe point, both feet, lol.

Glad you got back on er. 

LOL! I was thinking that that looked like some kind of ballerina pose myself.

Beemer

BTW, you are not Mr. Procrastination, you got to work and worked hard 13 days before time. I would've waited till the day before. (My crown is secure. 👑 )

Beemer

Yeah, that one got me some metal parts like the REAL racers have - now if I could just get the umbrella girl like they do, I'd be set. 

20160519_150550 (2).jpg

Archived