The MT-07 Forum

First ride of the year

faffi

Well, not for me, but for my son and also the MT07. It didn't start too well, though. Literally.

The poor twin have sat for more than 5 months covered with, eh, stuff. And the alarm(?) had completely drained the battery. Not even the display came on. Since the special charger refused to charge a flat battery, I hooked up a pair of wires with crocodiles clamps to the old Virago battery and connected it to the MT. Fired instantly!

Charging also works; kid managed to stall it a mile down the road, and amazingly the Lithium battery already had enough juice to fire the engine right up again. Lucky!

With temps at 4C / 39F, it was not going to be a long ride. Or a fast one. We kept below 80 kph / 50 mph at all times, mostly doing 60 (40) or less. Just trundle along under a clear, blue sky and bright sun. 55 km /34 miles was enough, though. But the season has officially begun.

It was a long winter, for sure.  I managed to get a least one ride in per month, though.  Why don't you have a charger on the battery for the winter?  

We had a Winter once when we lived in North Queensland...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

3 hours ago, kbob2000 said:

It was a long winter, for sure.  I managed to get a least one ride in per month, though.  Why don't you have a charger on the battery for the winter?  

To my defense this is the first motorcycle to go fully dead in the battery department during winter storage since I began riding in 1980. But I am going to fit a contact now that will allow me to hook up the charger without having to unbolt seat and stuff first, so that I can charge it regularly when parked.

Placed it on charge after the ride at 0.5 A, and it showed full almost immediately, so I hope I have been lucky and that the battery has some kind of built-in safety device that prevent it from going really flat, even if it appears to be at zero.

BTW, I do not like to keep chargers on permanently, even if it is cycling - although not uncommon, enough fires have started from smart chargers going wrong that I prefer to be present when they are in use. 

Archived