The MT-07 Forum

Akra Ti headers won't fit on 2017 FZ-07

enzymic

I recently purchased the Akra Ti exhaust for my 2017 FZ-07. I'm having trouble fitting the new headers onto the bike, when I compared the distance between the two header pipes to the stock one, they seemed a bit smaller too. Anyone know if there's a difference between the previous model year FZs and the 2017?

Not sure if I need to get the Akra Ti w/ Carbon tip that came out in 2017 for my bike, or if I'm just not positioning the headers right to fit.

They should fit fairly easy.  As far as I know, there are no differences between the years.  Mine bolted right up no problem.  Is it possible the pipes got bent somehow?  How far out of alignment are they?

Oh I think I'm just dumb. The headers came connected to the collector with the springs, so I was trying to install them attached.

I guess I'm supposed to take the springs off first, install each header then connect it via springs to the collector? 

The installation instructions for my Akra Ti say to install the headers onto the cylinder head with the rear of the headers already attached to the collector.

I installed mine in May of 2015, almost three years ago, but I recall it being not too tough.

Perhaps make sure your headers aren't simply positioned too close together or too far apart.

If I remember, you can move them back and forth a bit when they're not installed onto the cylinder head.

• Premium Member
cornerslider
43 minutes ago, YZEtc said:

The installation instructions for my Akra Ti say to install the headers onto the cylinder head with the rear of the headers already attached to the collector.

I installed mine in May of 2015, almost three years ago, but I recall it being not too tough.

Perhaps make sure your headers aren't simply positioned too close together or too far apart.

If I remember, you can move them back and forth a bit when they're not installed onto the cylinder head.

The headers are actually stainless steel on the Akrapovic Ti system, only the collector/can is Ti. I'm pretty sure they did this for two reasons- 1) cost, 2) stainless steel doesn't "fatigue" from being moved around a bit. Titanium, on the other hand is fairly "brittle" compared to stainless. If you need to move/pry the header around a bit, you won't harm anything. Once it gets heat cycled a couple times, it will "stress relieve" itself, and work great. I have the same system on my bike. The whole install went great, and fit like a glove. I think it was less than a hour start-to-finish. Akrapovic makes a GREAT system for the FZ-07, and you are going to love it 😎-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

1 hour ago, YZEtc said:

That was it! I didn't realize you could pull the headers apart a bit; once I did that, they fit in perfectly. Thank you!

Archived