The MT-07 Forum

New FZ, Break in and Tuning Questions

stevenwashere12

stevenwashere12

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so sorry if I am repeating old posts.

Long story short is I've finally pulled the trigger on a 2018 MT-07. I'll be picking it up sometime within the next couple weeks but I can't help but drool over some of the exhaust clips on youtube. These bikes just sound so incredible with a new pipe so I'd like to put one on mine. I like the look of the Akro, and don't mind the two brothers as well, so I'm sure those will be the ones I'm looking at but wouldn't mind some input.

First off, should I wait until after break in to change the exhaust? The bike is brand new and I don't wanna mess anything up by modding it too early.

Second, can someone explain tuning a little bit. I know what it is and I know I'm capable of installing a power commander or the like, but how or where do you actually get the tuning setup, what sort of reliable sources are out there? Or would going to a Dyno and having it reflashed that way be better? Can you get away without tuning with just an exhaust or will it just run way to lean? Any info would be great.

Thanks for the input ahead of time. I'll post pictures when my crate finally arrives!   

Which Akro are you talking about, the Ti or the carbon fiber? Either way, there are little annoyances about the bike that a flash tune from 2WheelDynoworks (a vendor here) can correct. They will do more than just tune for your pipe. I personally haven't had it done (flash tune) but I've seen nothing but sparkling reviews from everyone that's used their services. It looks to be the best tuning service available. Others will chime in here and give you more detail.

Beemer

stevenwashere12
45 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Which Akro are you talking about, the Ti or the carbon fiber? Either way, there are little annoyances about the bike that a flash tune from 2WheelDynoworks (a vendor here) can correct. They will do more than just tune for your pipe. I personally haven't had it done (flash tune) but I've seen nothing but sparkling reviews from everyone that's used their services. It looks to be the best tuning service available. Others will chime in here and give you more detail.

The TI, I love that tucked underneath clean look. I'll have to have a look around for 2WheelDynoworks. Thanks man.

2wheeldynoworks is on our home page, just scroll down to where the vendors are. The Ti looks great, I think. DewMan just recently got one. I ride with him and it sounds great with db killer in, not loud but good. Louder and better sounding than the factory pipe which is too quiet for most it seems. Db killer out it's probably loud with good sound, but maybe too loud, depending on your taste. Some love it with the db out.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I wouldn't run home with the new bike to immediately start doing mods.... waiting past the break in miles, and perhaps a few more, would be a good idea... so you get to know the bike and what you feel it needs... not just what everyone else is doing to theirs.

Also waiting until after break in miles should also help shake out any factory issues (not that there are any known issues prone to the FZ-07 other than some bolt torqueing issues) so incase you do have any issues your dealer can't try to blame any mods you've done. Though a legit dealer shouldn't falsely blame mods.

Good luck with your new Ride.

And we'll definitely need lots and lots of pictures of the 2018 for those of use who've not had the opportunity to see one up close. :D 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

I wouldn't run home with the new bike to immediately start doing mods.... waiting past the break in miles, and perhaps a few more, would be a good idea... so you get to know the bike and what you feel it needs... not just what everyone else is doing to theirs.

Also waiting until after break in miles should also help shake out any factory issues (not that there are any known issues prone to the FZ-07 other than some bolt torqueing issues) so incase you do have any issues your dealer can't try to blame any mods you've done. Though a legit dealer shouldn't falsely blame mods.

And we'll definitely need lots and lots of pictures of the 2018 for those of use who've not had the opportunity to see one up close. :D 

What he said👆take your time, get a feel for the bike, and enjoy your new steed and its personality. 

WFO

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

skip the exhaust for now... Suspension 1st is gonna be the one of the 2 best mods for the FZ-07 next to the Hordpower+Yoshi combo 😎

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Ride awhile first, no mods. Give it a medium hard engine break in.Then ship your PCM  to 2WDW and get it flashed for stock exhaust with airbox cover removed, It sounds great when you get on the throttle with the intake sound and you won't need to spend $400 on a pipe. I personally don't like the constant drone noise of pipes. This completely transforms the bike, more power, no engine braking, etc.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

stevenwashere12
3 hours ago, DewMan said:

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

Ride awhile first, no mods. Give it a medium hard engine break in.Then ship your PCM  to 2WDW and get it flashed for stock exhaust with airbox cover removed, It sounds great when you get on the throttle with the intake sound and you won't need to spend $400 on a pipe. I personally don't like the constant drone noise of pipes. This completely transforms the bike, more power, no engine braking, etc.

Thanks for all the input guys. Maybe I will wait a bit before throwing an exhaust on. Just to be clear though, the mods weren't really in search of more power, I just can't help but listening to exhaust clips online cuz it sounds SO Damn sexy. 

Like I said I'll post up some pics once I get the bike but truth be told I haven't even seen it myself it, the thing is still being build! (Super exciting that it's going to show up in a crate to the dealer)

Also side note, I'm in Canada, those "$400" pipes here are more like $1000-$1200 so it's not super hard to hold off a bit lol.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, stevenwashere12 said:

The TI, I love that tucked underneath clean look. I'll have to have a look around for 2WheelDynoworks. Thanks man.

I've recently put the Akra-Ti on mine.... I agree with you about the clean look. Also the throaty bass growl it gives now is exactly what I was looking for.  With the baffle/DB Killer left in it's not annoyingly loud and is quite civil until you start snatching the throttle.

Definitely have 2WDW hook you up with a flash to match whatever pipe you eventually get. They have lifetime (single owner) reflashes and very quick same or next day turn around on shipping your ECU back to you.

This MCRider video was what finally pushed me over the edge to get the Akra-Ti. I think it's the most accurate recording of how the Ti with baffle sounds in person if you listen to it with decent speakers with bass.

side_exhaust.thumb.jpg.b682d325b7a70edad70e3759d5b3ee8b.jpg

I know I'm not helping you wait... but I did wait until I had almost 2,000 miles on mine before replacing the factory pipe. Sorry. :D 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I've recently put the Akra-Ti on mine.... I agree with you about the clean look. Also the throaty bass growl it gives now is exactly what I was looking for.  With the baffle/DB Killer left in it's not annoyingly loud and is quite civil until you start snatching the throttle.

You temptress. I've been considering this pipe for a while and I'm about getting ready to pull the trigger once I get some free time.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, i28 said:

You temptress. I've been considering this pipe for a while and I'm about getting ready to pull the trigger once I get some free time.

You've got plenty of miles on your bike @i28, you have no excuse as long as the family's not starving. 😋

It took about an hour & half to remove the ECU and OEM pipe and about another hour and half to reinstall the ECU and Akra-Ti  once they arrived. I didn't need any tools more complicated than a ratchet with a 6in extension and a deepwell socket. I did get new exhaust crush gaskets ahead of time since the new pipe didn't come with them. The instructions were clear and uncomplicated. I did take 10 extra minutes to peel off the Akrapovic stickers with my thumbnail from the pipe and clean off the adhesive before starting the install.

I ordered the Ti from @bellisimoto and he shipped it within 48 hours of my order and 2WDW received my ECU via USPS 2 day priority shipping flat rate $7 box on a Saturday and they had it back in the mail before the weekend was done. I received it back via 2 day priority on Wednesday.

But no pressure. :D

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

My personal opinion for exhaust is Arrow full system or the later model Yoshi with the stepped header, then the Akra carbon , then Akra Ti. in terms of goodness. I have an Akra carbon, but I got it before others were available ( Yamaha had the Ti as an option. Don't like it a lot).

ECU reflash will change the bike for the very much goodliness. Fixes a number of unpleasant problems and improves low and middle torque more than top HP. Worth doing.

Suspension is aweful. Spend money there...wisely.  Also fixes some not- niceties. Front and back.

If you are going to ride distance, I also recommend a Seat Concepts repad/recover.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The dealership I bought my FZ from, I've known the sales guy for 15+ years and he actively races and has ridden all types of motorcycles and maintains all of his race bikes. I asked him about break in and he simply told me "ride the crap out of it, just avoid long full throttle pulls and change the oil frequently during break in". Right around 300 miles on the bike I already had a good feel for the power so I called him and asked if it would hurt it to do a pipe and tune this early in break in. He simply said "DO IT, it won't hurt a thing, just continue with the hard break in and oil changing and call me if you have any problems". I never had to make that call with problems.

Like the others have said there are a number of other mods to be done as well that make this bike even more of a joy to ride IE suspension, seat comfort and other things. The order in which you pick to do those is up to you. As far as doing the pipe and a tune I would do them both at the same time to get the most bang for your buck. If you don't have the money to do both at the same time just wait and save up like I did, it makes it even more enjoyable when you can buy it.

WFO,
Change Oil
WFO,
Change Oil
Then WFO

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

stevenwashere12
On 3/30/2018 at 7:03 PM, gregjet said:

My personal opinion for exhaust is Arrow full system or the later model Yoshi with the stepped header, then the Akra carbon , then Akra Ti. in terms of goodness. I have an Akra carbon, but I got it before others were available ( Yamaha had the Ti as an option. Don't like it a lot).

ECU reflash will change the bike for the very much goodliness. Fixes a number of unpleasant problems and improves low and middle torque more than top HP. Worth doing.

Suspension is aweful. Spend money there...wisely.  Also fixes some not- niceties. Front and back.

If you are going to ride distance, I also recommend a Seat Concepts repad/recover.

On 3/31/2018 at 1:52 AM, CarGuy7a said:

The dealership I bought my FZ from, I've known the sales guy for 15+ years and he actively races and has ridden all types of motorcycles and maintains all of his race bikes. I asked him about break in and he simply told me "ride the crap out of it, just avoid long full throttle pulls and change the oil frequently during break in". Right around 300 miles on the bike I already had a good feel for the power so I called him and asked if it would hurt it to do a pipe and tune this early in break in. He simply said "DO IT, it won't hurt a thing, just continue with the hard break in and oil changing and call me if you have any problems". I never had to make that call with problems.

Like the others have said there are a number of other mods to be done as well that make this bike even more of a joy to ride IE suspension, seat comfort and other things. The order in which you pick to do those is up to you. As far as doing the pipe and a tune I would do them both at the same time to get the most bang for your buck. If you don't have the money to do both at the same time just wait and save up like I did, it makes it even more enjoyable when you can buy it.

Good news for the suspension, Yamaha changed it for 2018. A little stiffer plus adjustable rebound on the rear, so hopefully I can stick out the stock stuff for a bit. We'll have to see. I got a quote to have the dealer do the exhaust and tune, $2000... looks like it will have to wait anyway. I'll probably end up doing a fender eliminator, LED's and a wind deflector for now. Thanks again for all the input. 

Word is the spring is a bit stiffer ( it needed to be for the avarage male rider) but I haven't heard anything about better damping. The front forks are still poor. It's a different bike with proper suspension.

Main reason for the pipe change , in my opinion, is the big weight loss. ECU reflash is an imperative, but if you are putting a pipe on it then better to do it with the new pipe

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

$2000!!!!! Dude you can do it yourself for way cheaper. It's not that hard to put a pipe on or take the ECU out. Actually taking the ECU out is way easier than putting on a PCV. My bikes never see the dealer again unless it's something I absolutely cannot fix myself. First thing I buy after getting a bike is a factory service manual.

Fender Elim was the first thing I did on mine before anything else. I just made my own out of the stock bracket. There's a vid on youtube showing how to do it. I did it the same way just with a few differences. FREE is good.

23 hours ago, stevenwashere12 said:

Good news for the suspension, Yamaha changed it for 2018. A little stiffer plus adjustable rebound on the rear, so hopefully I can stick out the stock stuff for a bit. We'll have to see. I got a quote to have the dealer do the exhaust and tune, $2000... looks like it will have to wait anyway. I'll probably end up doing a fender eliminator, LED's and a wind deflector for now. Thanks again for all the input. 

There you go, just use the stock suspension for awhile to judge whether you need to improve on it. If you pay anyone $2000 to do your exhaust and ECU you should be made to walk the plank. I and many others have never installed a pipe before but we did it ourselves, it's pretty easy and easy to check your work to see if you made any mistakes. + Mistakes are easily corrected. Let 2wheelDynoWorks do your flash tune, they are reputable.

Beemer

Fearedbynone

imo the ti with the baffle in sounds almost like stock.

my buddy had he same exhaust and we cut a little less than half off of the baffle and it sounded awesome.

quiet until you get on it.

+1 for 2wdw, they did both my fz07 and my new bike, xsr900

the fz07 with a yoshi pipe and a 2wdw tune is a completely different bike as far as sound and power.

that is what i had and i loved it.

Dave

stevenwashere12

I had absolutely no intention on paying 2000 for the exhaust lol. I know I am more than mechanically skilled enough to do all the work. Most of that price is the exhaust itself and they were using a powercommander. Install was only 200 bucks and taxes were about the same (13% sales tax on everything yayyy). 

Update though, I'm still waiting to actually get my bike. Dealer said it should be in within the week, but I am itching pretty bad to get it. I think I'm gonna leave it stock for the first bit and get a feel for it. This is a pretty big step up from the 250s and 300s I've been riding. I've also got some cosmetic mods in mind too. But once I have the money and I'm confident on the bike I'll be buying a pipe and tune. Thanks again for all the insight. 

Archived