The MT-07 Forum

School me on Sena's and other bluetooth things

shinyribs

I can hold my own in the world of technology, but it doesn't come natural to me. I've been thinking about getting a bluetooth thing, but I'm not 100% sure about everything. 

I'm not concerned about listening to music. If the option is there I'll probably use it occasionally, but striving for great sound clarity is not a concern. I also don't really have a need ( or want) to pair up with other riders and chat while riding. But I am self employed and don't like missing phone calls when I'm out on the bike. So my only two real concerns are phone calls and the ability to hear the turn-by-turn directions coming from the GPS on my phone. 

So what I need schooling on is how do I know for sure which units will connect to my phone's GPS so I can hear it? Stumbled on to a couple things online where guys were complaining they had "the wrong kind of GPS" (?) to pair with their unit. Whut? 

Also, anyone have any experience with the BT S2 units? They are $40 or less to your door and seem to have good reviews, so far.  https://www.google.com/search?q=bt+s2+in&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj8_ZL1q43aAhXCMd8KHSmKAuoQ_AUoAXoECAAQAw&biw=1366&bih=637

• Global Moderator

I do not use GPS but the phone quality with my Sena 20S is great.  People say they cannot tell I am on a motorcycle when I take calls with it, even at freeway speeds. 

• Premium Member

I too would be interested in people's reviews and opinions on these bluetooth devices. I do like that without a BT device right now, I'm totally disengaged with the calls/txt/reminders/alerts etc. and just riding. I normally take a quick look at my phone when I stop to get gas and the like just to see if it there were any urgent calls/txts, if I'm somewhat lost I take a glimpse at the map and figure it out. BTW I don't use a phone mount, I put in my inside pocket of my jacket. Saying all that, I intend on venturing further, e.g weekend trips over different states and I'm going to need all the stuff mentioned that I don't have.

Chime in people, give us your thoughts and reviews, please.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fzar said:

I do like that without a BT device right now, I'm totally disengaged with the calls/txt/reminders/alerts etc. and just riding.

That's how I feel, too, and why I'm kind of surprised I'm even considering this stuff. But sometimes I find myself going out to the store and not returning home for 12hrs or so. I'll admit I feel guilty abandoning the wife like that, even though she is always keen to remind me that she doesn't need me around all the time 😑 

Top of the line and what I use  https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-30k-bluetooth-headset-dual-pack

sena30_k_bluetooth_headset_750x750.jpg

These are pretty darn good too https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-20s-evo-bluetooth-headset-dual-pack

sena20_s_evo_motorcycle_bluetooth_communication_system_dual_pack_750x750.jpg

Avoid the Sena 10 series. I used to have those and they sucked, dropped calls and connection alot. Short range. 

• Thanks 1

I added this kit and listen to Music from my phone thru my Sena. Can talk to my wife in middle of a song no probs. Can make and receive calls no probs. 

I often get calls from customers and carry on full conversations and they often can't tell I'm on a motorcycle. 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-30k-20s-evo-universal-helmet-clamp-kit

sena20_s_universal_helmet_clamp_kit_with_microphones_750x750.jpg

• Thanks 2

Look toward the sun Ride until your tired Eat Sleep repeat.  GS is really about WHO DA F CARES WHERE I AM GOING

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I have used several Sena systems and if all you are going to do is link with your phone, then they work great for that, but there are much cheaper options!! If you want to use it as an intercom, then I would strongly suggest you look else where. The Sena systems work well if you just speak to one other Sena unit, but the minute you have a group (where you pair with 2 or more other Sena units) then you will have lots of random noise and crackling and terrible audio. This is a well known issue and Sena appears to have made zero effort to fix it in the last 2 years.. I am selling all my Sena equipment (a huge loss) as the problem is so bad that when I go riding with my wife and daughter we actually turn off the units to stop all the noise, this completely defeats the object of an intercom. I personally will not buy another Sena product given their complete lack of concern for all the customers that have this issue. I am looking at other options, but to answer your question, the Sena units have excellent audio and will work very well if you just want to pair with a phone or even with one other Sena unit. Just don't expect to be able to use the group intercom feature and have even reasonable audio.

Gary

• Like 2

I really appreciate your honesty. That's super helpful info to have. Thank you! 

I think I didn't convey just how much of a tech idiot I am, though. Will any phone with Bluetooth connect to these things and allow you to hear your phone's GPS talking to you, or do I need to find out what version of GPS I have to make sure it'll connect up? My phone is a Motorola ( Moto G, I'm pretty sure), and it's Andriod, but that's all I know. 

• Premium Member

If all you want is to link to your phone, Any Sena will do that.

If you want to talk to many riders further down the road while sharing/listening to your music or FM radio while also monitoring your GPS all at the same time..... along with the ability to take phone calls... The 30K is where it's at as @Cruizin said. Using the mesh network greatly simplifies mating with other riders. No more pairing headsets before you get started with a new rider and trying to figure who's paired with whom etc. People can join or drop out of the mesh network seamlessly. You can create a public or private mesh.

I've owned the SMH10s and just recently upgraded to the 30Ks. If you're on a budget and don't need to talk to more than 4 people at a time and don't mind choosing to either listen to music or listen/talk to other riders the SMH10s are a good budget choice. The range is adequate but will get static sooner than some of the newer Sena systems like the 20s or 30k. There is also noticeably inferior noise cancellation on the SMH10s... not that it's terrible by any means.

The 30Ks added much more functionality that I don't use.. like the mesh network for up to I believe 16 people. I normally wouldn't need to conference more than 4 other riders. But there is better noise reduction, speakers, multi-source hookups (phone, GPS, MP3 player) options and better range that makes updating to the 30K worth it to me.

I originally didn't even pair my phone with the SMH10s, since all I wanted was to listen to music and conf with riding buddies, but after an issue of my alarm company not being able to reach me and cops getting involved etc.. I broke down and paired my phone.

I spent a lot of time comparing the 20s EVO and the 30k. Even though I don't take advantage of the mesh network to hook up with a mob, I found the additional features, specifically being able to listen to music while also carrying on a conference with other riders, greater range and better noise cancellation tech worth the price difference for me. Depending on what's important to you, You might be good with the 20s and save a bit of money.

I know there were a lot of negative reviews when the 30k was  released. Many of the niggles have been resolved with firmware updates. The latest firmware update 1.0.3 increased the battery life while using the mesh network among other improvements. Now if they would just fix the voice prompts from interrupting my music listening regularly to let me know I'm not connected to another headset when doing solo riding. I've gotten around it by disabling voice prompts for now.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Yeah, the conference stuff isn't on my radar at all. Pretty much just want to be about to take calls and hear my GPS talk to me. Music might be nice on multi day tours or camping trips, but I don't really want too much going on on a daily basis. 

11 hours ago, Thrasherg said:

I have used several Sena systems and if all you are going to do is link with your phone, then they work great for that, but there are much cheaper options!! If you want to use it as an intercom, then I would strongly suggest you look else where. The Sena systems work well if you just speak to one other Sena unit, but the minute you have a group (where you pair with 2 or more other Sena units) then you will have lots of random noise and crackling and terrible audio. This is a well known issue and Sena appears to have made zero effort to fix it in the last 2 years.. I am selling all my Sena equipment (a huge loss) as the problem is so bad that when I go riding with my wife and daughter we actually turn off the units to stop all the noise, this completely defeats the object of an intercom. I personally will not buy another Sena product given their complete lack of concern for all the customers that have this issue. I am looking at other options, but to answer your question, the Sena units have excellent audio and will work very well if you just want to pair with a phone or even with one other Sena unit. Just don't expect to be able to use the group intercom feature and have even reasonable audio.

Gary

Those problems went away for me when I switched to the 30K. Its working great for me and my wife and friends. 

I heard the 30 does work great, but I invested $1500 in 6 of the 20S units and Sena have just left us with all these problems without any fix. I will not do business with a company like that, glad to hear your 30 works, but based on what I have seen, I would not recommend Sena to anyone due to the complete lack of customer support or apathy that they have shown!!

Gary

• Like 1

phanomenal07

do not get the bts2. It is an aweful device. It’s slow and you really can’t hear the speaker Beyond 30mph

• Thanks 1

I've had a pair of the Sena SMH10 headsets for a few years now.  Mostly use it to pair to my phone for GPS and music.  Use the second headset for intercom between myself and a passenger or another friend on their bike.  No complaints at all.  Had a pair of UClear headsets before and they were horrible.

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I think I didn't convey just how much of a tech idiot I am, though.

I get it, I really do. I'm in the same boat.

10 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

do not get the bts2

What are bts2????

11 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

do not get the bts2. It is an aweful device. It’s slow and you really can’t hear the speaker Beyond 30mph

Ok, being slow isn't even a thing I was thinking about. I guess there's a lag issue then? 

Did you have a BTS2, personally? Honest curiosity. 

43 minutes ago, fzar said:

I get it, I really do. I'm in the same boat.

What are bts2????

Google BTS2 helmet intercom, or click the link in the first post. It's a "knockoff" Sena type thing. 

• Thanks 1

phanomenal07
51 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Ok, being slow isn't even a thing I was thinking about. I guess there's a lag issue then? 

Did you have a BTS2, personally? Honest curiosity. 

Yes the bts2 was the first system I bought when I started. Although I had no other unit to compare it to at the time I knew it was junk. I returned it within the week I  received it. I now have a sena 20s and it does everything I use it for really well. I never used the intercom system on it or even had it paired to another rider but for listening to music making phone calls and listening to navigation directions it is perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 10s to mostly listen to music and talk to my buddy when we ride together. He has a 20s I believe.  No complaints here.

r1limited

Hand Signals is old school Blue Tooth as example

1. Stand on your pegs point to your ass means I gota shet
  2. Holding a imaginary Burger and moving your hand back and forth toward yur helmet means ya gotta eat
  3. Pointing to your gas tank means I need gas (NOTE #1 could mean I got gas)
  4. With your Hand in a fist Thumb Out and Pinky out, motioning in a up and down means I am thirsty
  5. Both hands off the bars in a WTF gesture and head tilted means WTF
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I have the Sena 30K as well.

I plugged bose earbuds into it and wear them when I ride. It 3/4 replaces ear plugs with how loud the M4 exhaust is and I can listen to spotify.

I put my phone on the RAM mount mounted to my handle bars and I can see the map if I look and the GPS directions come through on the bluetooth flawlessly.

I have also taken business calls on the 30K and people can sometimes hear the bike if I really twist it, but typically they cannot tell im on the bike at all.

The microphone never gets in my way and I forget its there.

The battery on the 30K is amazing as well. I mostly ride on the weekends and can go 2-3 days of a few hours a day riding and listening to music without having to charge it.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, alexlj92 said:

I have the Sena 30K as well.

I plugged bose earbuds into it and wear them when I ride. It 3/4 replaces ear plugs with how loud the M4 exhaust is and I can listen to spotify.

I put my phone on the RAM mount mounted to my handle bars and I can see the map if I look and the GPS directions come through on the bluetooth flawlessly.

I have also taken business calls on the 30K and people can sometimes hear the bike if I really twist it, but typically they cannot tell im on the bike at all.

The microphone never gets in my way and I forget its there.

The battery on the 30K is amazing as well. I mostly ride on the weekends and can go 2-3 days of a few hours a day riding and listening to music without having to charge it.

Have you had opportunity to use the mesh network yet? Beemer & I are having issues with occasionally garbled speech that seems worse with the latest 1.0.3 firmware.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.