The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 Battery orientation and set up.

jerryv

It seems a couple of us had some minor issues with the battery setup.  Wish I took a picture but was looking at a video and observed that someone else's battery is installed opposite of mine.  On mine, the battery terminals are on the left side of the bike (clutch side), the positive terminal is closest to the front of the bike.  I'm guessing that's bass akwards to most?  This may explain why my positive lead was run over the battery and directly across the negative terminal which chafed through the outer protective insulation.
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

My battery has the terminals on the right side, like probably most of us. The bikes come form Japan with the battery installed, but not hooked up. I wonder why yours was bass awkward.

Here is a picture of mine hope this helps ,the battery is mounted  on its side unlike typical upright position.If you look at the metal bar over the battery it's actualy marked positive on the left and negative on the right.Thats how mine came mounted, did read on other forums about somebody had cable crossed and shorted out almost caught fire.20140820_141801_zpst7ijhayl.jpg

Thanks ... the picture speaks volumes. This show me that my battery is actually different because if I flip mine 180 degrees, the positive would be in the rear, so I guess I'll leave well enough alone. I rerouted the cables so guess I should be good. A bit disturbing that I'd have a different battery but I guess no harm done. Thanks for posting the picture.

• Premium Member

Thanks jerryv (and thanks for the photo stefano225). I found my positive cable was originally routed OVER the cross member/seat bracket. I assumed that was wrong and proactively changed it. Now I can see it should also thread thru the strap - which mine didn't, it currently just flops around in there. The battery orientation was correct, though.

Probably worth a quick look for anybody who has not already checked it.

Thats a interesting photo stefano, I don't think my UK model is the same
I will have to look again but am sure on mine it as a large vacuum sensor
or actuator in the middle just behind the tank and I don't remember the snorkel
looking like that, will look again next time the seat is off.

Thats a interesting photo stefano, I don't think my UK model is the same I will have to look again but am sure on mine it as a large vacuum sensor
or actuator in the middle just behind the tank and I don't remember the snorkel
looking like that, will look again next time the seat is off.

Post a picture I like to see the difference with the euro models  also if you can some pics of the turn signal. 

Thank You 
Stefano

Here you go, the snorkel is in front of the vac thing and points the other way towards the front.
If the parts list is to be believed the vac thing is connected to a fuel cut off device. but seems to
control a flap in the top of the air box.

DSCF5559_zpsc3ff1ddf.jpg

DSCF5562_zpsed7bde96.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my FZ07 yesterday  and today called dealer for something and he said a recall was just issued for the battery positive cable ... Yamaha should notify customers within a few weeks and a new longer battery lead and bracket will be installed....I just rerouted mine where it won't rub until the recall is done.....

• Global Moderator

Thanks for the heads up, taz. I will be looking out for the recall letter. In the meantime I guess I should take a look at my battery cables and make sure they are not too tight.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome TAZ07! Thanks for the info.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Welcome TAZ07! Thanks for the info.

Thanks, looking forward to reading all the info here to help spend my money...frame sliders windshield etc...

• Premium Member

Welp, looks like I'll be checking this when I get home.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 5 years later...

please refrain from posting misleading or personal opinions that will confuse new riders as much as you have confused the rest of us

Edited by sorkyah