The MT-07 Forum

FZ-09 Akra tip in an FZ-07 akra ex?! whaaa?

topazsparrow

Also I'm not sure how the inside flange is gonna reduce noise as it sits all the way inside the muffler and not blocking the outlet. I took a pic of the inside you can see where the flange is sitting. I haven't yet cut off the pipes before the flange but they don't seem to touch the two pipe connectors inside unless I'm suppose to be pushing the my 09 baffle in further than the stock one? But then I don't see how I can use a screw to make sure the baffle doesn't fly out. Sorry for the confusion

20200417_102405.jpg

Also here is a pic of my stock baffle and my 09 baffle side by side. I have the euro4 version with the carbon tip and if I want to use the screw hole on the my 09 baffle I'm going to have to drill another hole in the exhaust outlet because it doesn't line up to where the weld hole is that I drilled out. I'm also thinking about just chopping off the three tips so that they're flush with the first flange

20200417_104416.jpg

34 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

Yeah I'd say the tip designed changed a bit with that model that has that carbon fiber stuff on it.

Where does the inner flange sit inside your outlet on yours? Is that the normal spot?

topazsparrow
37 minutes ago, mayt948 said:

Where does the inner flange sit inside your outlet on yours? Is that the normal spot?

with the screw hole lined up to fasten it, the tips are flush with the end and do not protrude.

realistically it makes no difference, but it appears the outlet may be shorter on those newer models with the carbon or something.

52 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

with the screw hole lined up to fasten it, the tips are flush with the end and do not protrude.

realistically it makes no difference, but it appears the outlet may be shorter on those newer models with the carbon or something.

Yeah I'm just trying to make sure that the internals of the mt 09 baffle will be the in the same position of my exhaust as the rest of yours and give me the same sound you guys are achieving because I saw you talking about how you think the internal baffle flange helps block some of the noise. Otherwise I may as well save $50 and send the baffle back then just drill holes in my stock one and call it a day if I'm not getting the correct fitment

Edited by mayt948
grammar

topazsparrow
22 minutes ago, mayt948 said:

Yeah I'm just trying to make sure that the internals of the mt 09 baffle will be the in the same position of my exhaust as the rest of yours and give me the same sound you guys are achieving because I saw you talking about how you think the internal baffle flange helps block some of the noise. Otherwise I may as well save $50 and send the baffle back then just drill holes in my stock one and call it a day if I'm not getting the correct fitment

There's not much fitment to worry about.

The inner pipes are part of the third chamber exit and are inherently quieter than the rest of the flow.

image.thumb.png.685c7c99d981daf3ee669692f62fd5a4.png

With the STOCK baffle in, it redirects the flow back to the third chamber and then back out the tip - kind of a loop.

with NO baffle you get something more like the second image, but the orange flow just goes straight out entirely.

With a drilled baffle, you get a lot more pressure build up behind the red arrow, this results in weird pressure waves that don't line up with each other = farting noises and generally lame sounding exhaust.

With a modified baffle, there's enough airflow to largely prevent pressure building up enough for the second chamber to be used (unless you're wide open screaming). So at lower air velocities it behaves like a wide open tip mostly (that nice growl), but at faster air velocity and more volume it mutes it a bit.

The biggest thing is making sure those side vents in the exit don't have a straight shot out of the tip, because that's where the bulk of that noise comes from.

Finally got the exhaust installed just waiting for my ecu to get to 2wdw for the tune! Is it absolutely necessary to cut the 1/2 inch to 1 inch off before the flange since my 09 baffle appears to be different size and shorter on that section? It fits in no problem without cutting them off. I figured I could try it without cutting first and if not I can pull it back out and cut them...not a big deal. As you can see in the pic my baffle outlet pipes stick out a bit because of the different baffle design (I guess?) But I don't mind doesn't look terrible to me.

20200422_134714.jpg

Edited by mayt948
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
JamesJones

Easiest job in the world to trim those tips back if you're steady with a hacksaw, and have a few files if you get picky.

Or just take it to any exhaust/metal shop in the world with a six pack, and wait 30 seconds.

Installed the 09 baffle in the euro3 version (ti, no carbon tip) last weekend. Even though the internal flange(?) portion doesn't appear longer than the 07 baffle, it didn't fit flush enough to put the screw back. The internal outlets of the exhaust don't line up with the different internal baffle tip heights. Simple grind to the longer 2 so they're level with the shortest and was able to put it in and add the screw on. 

The euro3 version external tips don't stick out, they sit flush and imo look much better than the 07 two tip.

If anyone is needing help with euro3 version let me know and I'll try to answer any questions.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:13 AM, goshe22 said:

Installed the 09 baffle in the euro3 version (ti, no carbon tip) last weekend. Even though the internal flange(?) portion doesn't appear longer than the 07 baffle, it didn't fit flush enough to put the screw back. The internal outlets of the exhaust don't line up with the different internal baffle tip heights. Simple grind to the longer 2 so they're level with the shortest and was able to put it in and add the screw on. 

The euro3 version external tips don't stick out, they sit flush and imo look much better than the 07 two tip.

If anyone is needing help with euro3 version let me know and I'll try to answer any questions.

Yeah see when I put my 09 baffle in my euro4 it goes all the way in no problem and doesn't touch the internal pipes. I didn't have to cut the 09 baffle at all because it fits fine, however, I have the three tips that protrude out of my exhaust. It is installed all the way in the same as stock but it appears that they have made some changes to the euro4 version, or the 09 baffle I bought has a different design (shorter pipes on the internal end/longer on the exit side)? I ended up having to drill a second hole in my exhaust so that the three tips are protruding the same direction as the exhaust tip because there was no screw hole to begin with. I'm cool with them protruding out think it looks aggressive but I just wanted to note some differences if anyone else is questioning the same thing with the euro4 version.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:13 PM, goshe22 said:

I have 2014 MT 07 with akrap exhaust, euro 3 (no carbon tip). Could you show some images of the modified baffle and how it looks inside the exhaust? Did you have to drill a new hole for the screw or it's aligned same as the 07 baffle?

On 3/18/2018 at 9:28 PM, topazsparrow said:

IMG_20180317_130803.thumb.jpg.6f634e68804955bcbc781f1ef61e5692.jpg

Bike is too quiet with the stock two pipe insert in there. Too loud with it out. Too flappy / farty with the stock insert drilled / cut due to resonant pressure waves... Measured the 09 tip and found it to be the exact same fitment. Cut the last 1/2 inch off where it is supposed to mate to the inner pipes and fastened the retaining screw.

It's quieter now but retained that super deep rumble like it has with no insert. It doesn't make any weird decel noises anymore. Would recommend to anyone.

Hi. I've just noticed you also have the same exhaust version so I'll ask you as well.

1) you bought 09 baffle version 142, the one with a hole for the retaining screw, NOT the newer 203 from carbon version which need drilling?

2) Did you cut all three inner pipes just a bit (yellow line) or the whole flange (blue line)

IMG_20200511_223904.jpg

topazsparrow
41 minutes ago, MemQ said:

Hi. I've just noticed you also have the same exhaust version so I'll ask you as well.

1) you bought 09 baffle version 142, the one with a hole for the retaining screw, NOT the newer 203 from carbon version which need drilling?

2) Did you cut all three inner pipes just a bit (yellow line) or the whole flange (blue line)

IMG_20200511_223904.jpg

Correct, I bought the older 2015-2018 baffle before they added that carbon tip gimmick.

I cut at the blue line in your image there.

25 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

Correct, I bought the older 2015-2018 baffle before they added that carbon tip gimmick.

I cut at the blue line in your image there.

Ok, thanks. So cut them so they don't touch the two pipes inside the exhaust, put the baffle in, align it with the hole for the retaining screw and that's it, correct? Just want to be 100% sure :)

Edited by MemQ
  • Like 1

topazsparrow
23 hours ago, MemQ said:

Ok, thanks. So cut them so they don't touch the two pipes inside the exhaust, put the baffle in, align it with the hole for the retaining screw and that's it, correct? Just want to be 100% sure :)

Yep. It's really straight forward.

On a side note, I just installed the RC8 baffle from earlier in the thread today and it sounds great. A tad louder than the FZ-09 Baffle I'd say.

4 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

Yep. It's really straight forward.

On a side note, I just installed the RC8 baffle from earlier in the thread today and it sounds great. A tad louder than the FZ-09 Baffle I'd say.

Could you post a video? Is it just a little bit louder or it sounds differently? 

topazsparrow
3 hours ago, MemQ said:

Could you post a video? Is it just a little bit louder or it sounds differently? 

Yeah for sure. If you don't mind waiting, I'm gonna do it when I have some time to take the baffle out and compare on the same day on the same stretch of road.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Yeah for sure. If you don't mind waiting, I'm gonna do it when I have some time to take the baffle out and compare on the same day on the same stretch of road.

That would be great :) sure I'll wait.

4 hours ago, goshe22 said:

A couple quick pics

IMG_20200512_200000.jpg

Look awesome. Btw where did you get that centerstand? SW-motech?

Edited by MemQ

3 hours ago, MemQ said:

That would be great :) sure I'll wait.

Look awesome. Btw where did you get that centerstand? SW-motech?

Yessir

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey guys!

Sorry for reviving a year old+ thread, but not that many threads referring to an FZ07 Akra TI with an FZ09 baffle in it...

After a couple of years thinking about it (and reading this thread last year 😉), I finally replaced my M4 muffler by the Akra TI (older model, not the new carbon tip) and went straight ahead with this FZ-09 baffle mod, and it sounds amazing! 👌 (Anyone in the same boat, go for it, they do sound different in real life - but barely noticeable in videos - Akra having a deeper low end and "cleaner" tone if I can say so)

The only weird thing though is when in gear and on the road with my bike, I get this weird ear ringing / drone noise and it is present anywhere between +-2800 to 5500 rpm (as opposed to a "standard" drone noise which normaly is present in a shorter range), with or without earplugs.  But, if I'm on neutral, I don't hear it at all even if I twist the throttle at any rpm.

It doesn't seem to be because the Akra would be too loud as my M4 (baffle in) was actually a bit louder than Akra with FZ09 baffle and I didn't get that ear ringing with the M4 baffle in.

So, I have three questions:

1)  Did anyone experience that with the FZ09 baffle ?  (I cannot say if it happnens with stock baffle in nor baffle out as I haven't tried either yet, but I don't intend to go stock baffle as you lose some great deep low tones with it, and that tone is THE reason why I went for the (expensive!) Akra)

2)  Could it possibly be because of the lenght that I cut the tubes of the FZ09 baffle at ?  For reference, I cut them at about the yellow line at the picture in @MemQ's post... So could the baffle tubes be "too close" the the two inner tubes of the muffler and when in gear and opening the throttle, with the air pressure blowing in / around the 3 tubes, it's creating that weird ringing / drone noise ?

Just wanted to double check to see if anyone experienced something similar before cutting them shorter (hoping it would get rid of that weird ringing, otherwise would have to find a plan B because that ringing it is that disturbing 🙄)

3)  Anyone who tried the RC8 baffle experienced any exhaust drone noise with it ?

Thanks!

Edited by EZrider