The MT-07 Forum

FZ-09 Akra tip in an FZ-07 akra ex?! whaaa?

topazsparrow

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, fzar said:

WTF. Where did you get this from? I personally couldn't find any parts for the Akra TI and I looked. I had a interesting debacle with a seller of a new Akra Ti that i thought wouldn't come through on their part. A story for a different day.

At almost to the  bottom of this MT/FZ-09 Ti page  you'll find the link to the above document:

Capture.thumb.JPG.d7b724f49b9beb94e35c668b79b1009b.JPG

You'll find the same related link at the bottom of the Akra-Ti page for the MT/FZ-07 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

3 hours ago, fzar said:

WTF. Where did you get this from? I personally couldn't find any parts for the Akra TI and I looked. I had a interesting debacle with a seller of a new Akra Ti that i thought wouldn't come through on their part. A story for a different day.

Here is the link of the schematic for the akra TI on the fz09 https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.net/ImageServer/Apim2media/Documents/118577/963a2715e8d246029936c716a6efa935_Generated.pdf just copy paste the part number you want on google and you should find an online store that sell it easily.  This is a link where you can buy the baffle bolt: 

I also bought my fz09 baffle on this site here is the link for the baffle:  

On 11/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, fzar said:

Can anyone tell me how to get the DB-killer out without damaging it, Please?

use a slide hammer bearing puller. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to @topazsparrow for guidance on installing the baffle.  Its music to my ears and they don’t have to bleed anymore to enjoy the low growl and deep bass from the exhaust now.

Not to hijack the thread but I gotta ask a quick question regarding the exhaust itself.  How far in do the headers push into the engine?  I feel like there’s air coming from that general area but I can’t pinpoint if it’s coming from the header joint.

• Global Moderator
11 minutes ago, Slono said:

Not to hijack the thread but I gotta ask a quick question regarding the exhaust itself.  How far in do the headers push into the engine?  I feel like there’s air coming from that general area but I can’t pinpoint if it’s coming from the header joint.

I cannot help with your question, but if you get one of those long  candle lighters you can move the flame around the area to see if there is any air coming out that would cause the flame to “dance”. 

19 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I cannot help with your question, but if you get one of those long  candle lighters you can move the flame around the area to see if there is any air coming out that would cause the flame to “dance”. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/lIXq8Rd

Is this the definition of “dancing”?  Does this mean there’s a leak?

On 11/24/2019 at 2:28 PM, Slono said:

Thanks to @topazsparrow for guidance on installing the baffle.  Its music to my ears and they don’t have to bleed anymore to enjoy the low growl and deep bass from the exhaust now.

Any recordings of the sound for us to add?

1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

Any recordings of the sound for us to add?

Edited by Slono

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2018 at 7:05 PM, topazsparrow said:

I just wanted to elaborate on why I think it sounds better than simply cutting or drilling the 07 insert.

If you study the following images, you notice a difference between the 09 and the 07 insert beyond the addition of an outlet pipe.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.928c9b6552206bd708100e0644610b5f.jpgimages.png.fc6aa378614f0cb35a3a2198ec0c3841.png

Notice the second collar / flange on the 09 tip? This is quite a tight fit inside the exhaust outlet (as a whole), As such it greatly reduces the air volume in that area (the area between the collar with the retaining screw and the outlet of the inner exhaust). The reduction of this space stops the resonant air compression you get with the cut 07 tip. It exposes the restricted outlet pipes to the deeper rumble of the 2nd chamber muffler exhaust but also redirects the excess back into the third chamber before it exits the "normal" exhaust outlets (the little tubes that mate with the DB killer).

If you take your noise baffle / insert out and look inside with a flashlight you'll clearly see what I mean. There's actually two routes for the exhaust, leaving the stock baffle in ensures the most "complete" route for the exhaust gasses as it is forced through the third chamber. Removing the baffle stops the redirection of gasses back into the exhaust so it can mostly escape through those side openings on the 2nd stage of muffling.

adding the Fz-09 baffle retains more of the pressure, and forces a decent amount of gasses back into the 3rd stage. It avoids that resonant air pressure issue (mostly) and effectively lets you run the third stage half open for additional thumpy goodness. The fact that the inner pipes don't perfectly align with the outlet pipes on the baffle also seem to help reduce that reverb / resonance flappy / farty sound I had with the cut pipe.

Did you cut the flange off? 

On 1/28/2020 at 10:01 PM, RobZilla said:

Anybody cut the flange off the mt09 baffle?

Bumping this. Is the fz09 baffle a direct replacement or do you have to do some cutting to get the screw insert to line up?

You just cut the tips off back to the flange and it fits fine. worked for me. The fact that the holes don’t line up helps from what I’ve been reading. 

The screw hole lines up fine. 

I was wondering if anyone cut more off, past the flange, on the fz09 insert to see how it sounds.

Edited by RobZilla

On 2/5/2020 at 6:27 AM, RobZilla said:

You just cut the tips off back to the flange and it fits fine. worked for me. The fact that the holes don’t line up helps from what I’ve been reading. 

The screw hole lines up fine. 

I was wondering if anyone cut more off, past the flange, on the fz09 insert to see how it sounds.

I didn’t cut anything because I didn’t have time so the 3 pipes at the end of the DB killer protrude from the end of my exhaust.  It doesn’t look as clean but it definitely gives it a grungy hooligan look to the bike!

Whatever you do, don’t cut the flange.  It helps to retain the throaty sound.

Edited by Slono

19 hours ago, Slono said:

I didn’t cut anything because I didn’t have time so the 3 pipes at the end of the DB killer protrude from the end of my exhaust.  It doesn’t look as clean but it definitely gives it a grungy hooligan look to the bike!

Whatever you do, don’t cut the flange.  It helps to retain the throaty sound.

Pics of said hooliganism?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RobZilla said:

Just the tips!

That's what SHE said!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll let myself out now. 😁

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the probably dumb question, english isn't my main language, but is this basically what you did? Cutting off the green part 1,5cm, and never cutting past the red mark ?

akrapovic-optional-noise-damper-tuv142.jpg

Edited by rylark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just pulled out the baffle of my akra ti had to drill out the weld what a pain pulling it out. I'm about to buy the mt09 baffle for it. Does anyone know if I'm suppose to cut all three ends off of the mt09 baffle before the flange or do i just cut the one extra one off so that the other two plug back into the stock exhaust holes?

19 minutes ago, mayt948 said:

Just pulled out the baffle of my akra ti had to drill out the weld what a pain pulling it out. I'm about to buy the mt09 baffle for it. Does anyone know if I'm suppose to cut all three ends off of the mt09 baffle before the flange or do i just cut the one extra one off so that the other two plug back into the stock exhaust holes?

Cut all three, they don't line up with the existing holes at all.

9 minutes ago, Kurt said:

Cut all three, they don't line up with the existing holes at all.

alright awesome! Is the mt09 baffle worth buying over just drilling holes in the stock baffle? Just looking for some reassurance that I'm making the right decision :)

23 minutes ago, mayt948 said:

alright awesome! Is the mt09 baffle worth buying over just drilling holes in the stock baffle? Just looking for some reassurance that I'm making the right decision :)

I think so. I wanted to keep my original baffle stock incase I want to go super quiet again, plus many people say it sounds kind of "flappy" or "farty" with holes drilled, the cut 09 baffle I can confirm sounds great.

• Like 1

topazsparrow
On 2/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, rylark said:

Sorry for the probably dumb question, english isn't my main language, but is this basically what you did? Cutting off the green part 1,5cm, and never cutting past the red mark ?

akrapovic-optional-noise-damper-tuv142.jpg

Yep. Green = cut off. Red = leave.

Is this how far the tips stick out for you guys? This is where they sit when the baffle is pushed in the same amount as the stock baffle20200417_102525.thumb.jpg.75fa11a6446bd5acd30a428b539295ce.jpg