The MT-07 Forum

FZ-09 Akra tip in an FZ-07 akra ex?! whaaa?

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

IMG_20180317_130803.thumb.jpg.6f634e68804955bcbc781f1ef61e5692.jpg

Bike is too quiet with the stock two pipe insert in there. Too loud with it out. Too flappy / farty with the stock insert drilled / cut due to resonant pressure waves... Measured the 09 tip and found it to be the exact same fitment. Cut the last 1/2 inch off where it is supposed to mate to the inner pipes and fastened the retaining screw.

It's quieter now but retained that super deep rumble like it has with no insert. It doesn't make any weird decel noises anymore. Would recommend to anyone.

Edited by topazsparrow
  • Like 4

topazsparrow

Cell phone audio isn't great, but here's a clip.

Edited by topazsparrow
  • Like 1

topazsparrow

I just wanted to elaborate on why I think it sounds better than simply cutting or drilling the 07 insert.

If you study the following images, you notice a difference between the 09 and the 07 insert beyond the addition of an outlet pipe.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.928c9b6552206bd708100e0644610b5f.jpgimages.png.fc6aa378614f0cb35a3a2198ec0c3841.png

Notice the second collar / flange on the 09 tip? This is quite a tight fit inside the exhaust outlet (as a whole), As such it greatly reduces the air volume in that area (the area between the collar with the retaining screw and the outlet of the inner exhaust). The reduction of this space stops the resonant air compression you get with the cut 07 tip. It exposes the restricted outlet pipes to the deeper rumble of the 2nd chamber muffler exhaust but also redirects the excess back into the third chamber before it exits the "normal" exhaust outlets (the little tubes that mate with the DB killer).

If you take your noise baffle / insert out and look inside with a flashlight you'll clearly see what I mean. There's actually two routes for the exhaust, leaving the stock baffle in ensures the most "complete" route for the exhaust gasses as it is forced through the third chamber. Removing the baffle stops the redirection of gasses back into the exhaust so it can mostly escape through those side openings on the 2nd stage of muffling.

adding the Fz-09 baffle retains more of the pressure, and forces a decent amount of gasses back into the 3rd stage. It avoids that resonant air pressure issue (mostly) and effectively lets you run the third stage half open for additional thumpy goodness. The fact that the inner pipes don't perfectly align with the outlet pipes on the baffle also seem to help reduce that reverb / resonance flappy / farty sound I had with the cut pipe.

Edited by topazsparrow
  • Like 1

OK, I was confused at first, but it seems that you already had an Akra exhaust and just changed out the baffle for the FZ-09 version. Or am I wrong?

topazsparrow
12 minutes ago, br4nd0n said:

OK, I was confused at first, but it seems that you already had an Akra exhaust and just changed out the baffle for the FZ-09 version. Or am I wrong?

yeah I bought an 09 baffle.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Cell phone audio isn't great, but here's a clip.

I was hearing what I can only describe as backfiring on your footage. I was curious if you had an ECU flash for your Akra prior to replacing the tip?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

topazsparrow
13 hours ago, DewMan said:

I was hearing what I can only describe as backfiring on your footage. I was curious if you had an ECU flash for your Akra prior to replacing the tip?

It's not a backfire, as that would be detonation of unburnt fuel in the exhaust, but I know what you mean. most of it is just reverb burble on decel and a crappy mic on my phone.

It's an FTECU tune with active tune, but the bike hasn't been ridden yet this year so it's got a bit of "learning" to do yet. Plus the engine was cold in the video still.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hey, what color/year are those fairings? I was looking to switch to something very similar on mine. I didn't think they made a bronze model.

• Global Moderator
12 minutes ago, Bountiful said:

Hey, what color/year are those fairings? I was looking to switch to something very similar on mine. I didn't think they made a bronze model.

IIRC that is a vinyl wrap, but I am sure @topazsparrow will chime in with a correction if my memory is going :).  

topazsparrow
16 minutes ago, Bountiful said:

I wrapped it with 3m "Canyon Copper". I liked it enough that I decided to have a buddy of mine who is an auto body painter, paint it that color.

The wrap held up pretty good for a year or so, but you'd be lucky to get two seasons out of it I think. It took me about 6 hours to install (if I did it again I'd be quicker I imagine), so I just painted it.

2 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

I wrapped it with 3m "Canyon Copper". I liked it enough that I decided to have a buddy of mine who is an auto body painter, paint it that color.

The wrap held up pretty good for a year or so, but you'd be lucky to get two seasons out of it I think. It took me about 6 hours to install (if I did it again I'd be quicker I imagine), so I just painted it.

oh, awesome! thanks. Yeah, I hear you on the wrap lifespan. I plasti-dipped my heelguards and I think I got like a month out of them at most. I'm actually considering painting it half orange and keeping the original glacier blue (to try and make it look like portal). Not sure how it will come out though. I'll try the wrap first to be sure :D

• 4 months later...

I had the same complains as yours about my akra TI and bought an fz09 baffle online and I can tell it really sound good now!! It's loud (about 95-97 db at 50cm from the exhaust) but not too loud that I have to wear earplugs for short rides. The only concern that I have is that I get backfires from downshifting at highway speeds. Like from 6th gear to 5th and 4th. I currently have an PCFC installed with the map from powercommander website and will send my ECU to 2wdw during the winter. Does anyone know f I should ask them to flash it for dbk IN or dbk OUT since the dbkiller dont work as an original one?

• Global Moderator
15 hours ago, FzOnSteroids said:

Does anyone know f I should ask them to flash it for dbk IN or dbk OUT since the dbkiller dont work as an original one?

I would guess the dB killer in flash, but call 2WDW before you send the ECU and ask them.  They are the experts and they will know what you need. 

• Like 1

That's nice finding there mate, i may actually try this too as with original baffle the exhaust it's really quiet for my liking but without it it's very loud. Sounds like in middle of them. Just need to find a used mt-09 baffle at good price, i remember those cost around 100 euros as new. Thanks for the post.

1 hour ago, Mimo750 said:

That's nice finding there mate, i may actually try this too as with original baffle the exhaust it's really quiet for my liking but without it it's very loud. Sounds like in middle of them. Just need to find a used mt-09 baffle at good price, i remember those cost around 100 euros as new. Thanks for the post.

I got my fz09 baffle from caprimoto for 61 euro. So like 90$ CAD + like 20$ import fees. 

Holy FACK, the Akrapovic without the baffle is ridiculously loud.  I mean... SUPER DUPER LOUD.  Without exaggeration it’s louder than my old SV650 when it didn’t have a pipe on it.  The rumble from the Akrapovic can actually be felt in your chest.  I’m going to try the FZ09 mod because I can’t stand how loud this thing is even though it sounds mean.

Does anybody have the part number?  I just want to make sure I don’t order the wrong thing.  I’ve done it before so I’m not confident in my researching skills.

I currently have this installed on a 2018 MT07.F86BF497-0E2D-469C-B43E-A0DA7E35A316.thumb.png.61920bc6d8dd1b00b22e808ba1abccf2.png

Edited by Slono

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Slono said:

Does anybody have the part number?  I just want to make sure I don’t order the wrong thing.  I’ve done it before so I’m not confident in my researching skills.

From the Akrapovic website:

https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.net/ImageServer/Apim2media/Documents/118577/963a2715e8d246029936c716a6efa935_Generated.pdf

It appears you're looking for part #7.

fz-09.JPG.7619c157061da2e47a38abb33aa4d871.JPG

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

14 hours ago, DewMan said:

Thank you!!!!

i need to source a screw and rubber grommet now.

Edited by Slono

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Slono said:

Thank you!!!!

i need to source a screw and rubber grommet now.

If you check the link I provided you'll see the part # for the screw and grommet are #8 & #9 on the parts list. I would think if you contact Akra directly or an authorized dealer you should be able to get all the pieces.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, DewMan said:

WTF. Where did you get this from? I personally couldn't find any parts for the Akra TI and I looked. I had a interesting debacle with a seller of a new Akra Ti that i thought wouldn't come through on their part. A story for a different day.