The MT-07 Forum

Is the 2018 MT-07 worth buying over a 2017 FZ-07?

McA92

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and hoping to get some advice from Fz-07 experts! 
I'm in the market for a hyper naked for the city. I live in San Francisco and I think it would such a fun bike. My bike right now is a 2001 CBR 1100 Blackbird and shes a blast but the weight is getting to me around the city. 

As an overall experience, would the 2018 MT-07 perform significantly more than a 2017 model? I hear the 2018 will be priced at $7,599 which is tough because a friend is selling his 2017 for $6,000. I know they tweaked the lines on the bike a bit and it does look better but that doesn't make it worth it for me. I also here the suspension is more adjustable and gives the bike a sportier ride. How much better is it and I've never actually ridden an FZ-07, how is the ride?

• Global Moderator

You will love the FZ-07 around town.  It is very light and manouverable.  

I know the 2018 has better suspension than the earlier models, but I would buy a 2017 and put the difference into after market suspension.  I expect the 2018 suspension will be better, but nowhere near what you will get with suspension that is designed for your weight and riding style. 

• Premium Member

2018 has ABS as standard equipment...

pre 2108-2016? only the red colored bike had ABS...

suspension will still be a wet noodle compared to the literbike... invest in decent middle price option of a suspension package and it will be a keeper... the little FZ-07 is a blast in the city...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

3 hours ago, McA92 said:

As an overall experience, would the 2018 MT-07 perform significantly more than a 2017 model? 

The chassis, brakes and engine are all the same, so there won't be any huge differences. The forks are the same pieces, but the 2018 has "increased rebound" according to journalists, but how much was changed has yet to really be seen. Same thing for the increased rebound on the 2018's new rear shock. The forks damping is not adjustable on either model. Only adjustment is preload on the rear shock for early models. Typical ramp preload system. 2018 advertises rebound adjustments on the new rear shock. 

It's well agreed that the rear shock on the early models was pretty bad. The damping was very weak and the rear of the bike cycled alot, so there's a chance the 2018 is way better in this regard, or the revised version may only be marginally better. We don't really know yet. 

For a price difference of $1500 ( actually more once you factor in other dealer charges), you could afford to invest in some really nice suspension for the used bike, and I am sure the stock suspension on the 2018 is still way behind any aftermarket suspension in regards to performance. 

Compared to your Blackbird, the suspension will probably feel very plush and comfortable, but likely to the point of slightly vague'ish. I'd definitely get a test ride before making any decisions, but it sounds like you don't expect a FZ/MT to be a full blown supersport anyway, which is where I think some people's disappointment comes from. 

Having owned a few inline fours,and ridden countless others, I can say this about the twin in the 07: I'm completely over 4's at this point. 

Personally, the ride for me is alright but only because I'm in Florida where the roads are mostly straight & flat and the curves are long and not too challenging or exciting.

If I were in Cali where there are some curvy banked roads that resemble race tracks I would probably jump at some good, aftermarket suspension.

I'm assuming, owning a super-sport, you're probably going to push the suspension to it's limits at times so I would get some good aftermarket suspension.

Beemer

come on it's only 

7 hours ago, Beemer said:

Personally, the ride for me is alright but only because I'm in Florida where the roads are mostly straight & flat

it's only 7 hours ride from Miami to Georgia where the good roads can be found. You mean you don't leave work on Friday and spend the weekend in the hills up north? Shame, shame!

Buy the 2017/2016 and upgrade the suspension. 

I'm wondering if they put the R3 damper rods in the '18 FZ07 and that's where they are getting the increase in damping.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

17 hours ago, pattonme said:

come on it's only 

it's only 7 hours ride from Miami to Georgia where the good roads can be found. You mean you don't leave work on Friday and spend the weekend in the hills up north? Shame, shame!

Buy the 2017/2016 and upgrade the suspension. 

I'm wondering if they put the R3 damper rods in the '18 FZ07 and that's where they are getting the increase in damping.

You're assuming I have two days off every weekend. If only you knew me.

I'll give you a little peek into my life. I've had three days off in the last (going on) four years and no weekends off for the same duration.

Believe me, if I could I would.

Beemer

same bike with updated crappy stuff to better crappy stuff

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 weeks later...
Grip it & Rip it

I gotta say, I finally saw a 2018 in person recently and it looked a lot better than it did in pictures...

Archived