The MT-07 Forum

Installed the Akra Ti system a few months back. Not sure if I want a PCV, EJK, or FTEC. Any help?

eastphilly

I've been riding without a tune for a good while. My MPG hasn't really gone down and I don't really feel like power went away, but I figured running it will keep the engine cooler and make it last longer. 

What is really like is more MPG, but unless I stayed with a stock exhaust I don't think I would get that too easily. I was thinking maybe tube for more power then go +1 in the front. So then it would feel like stock power, but get better MPG. The only problem is it seems like getting those two things done at once would cost me about $750 if I let the shop do it. I don't have the tools to do the chain and sprockets kit right now, but I can do the intake and a tuner device myself if needed. So I'm thinking I'll do that first.

Which route should I go? Reflashing seems like the best bet in the long run for a more customized option, but the PCV seems like the most common and more availability for getting help if needed. I'm also worried of either bricking the ECU or voiding the warranty out hard with a reflashing.

I'm not going to Dyno tune or anything, but it will be nice to have a little control over what I'm doing besides plugging in and letting it self tune.

So what's my best option?

Power commander will not disappoint and I bought one off this forum from someone that was selling to reflash their bike, so I got a good deal. My bike runs noticeably smoother and more responsive. Plus the power commander maps that are on the website has an exact match for an akra ti. I had to customize mine for my m4 and dna. Also took me around 45 minutes to install. And I didn’t have to mail out my ecu! My goal is to buy a Yoshimura and hordairbox to go that route. 

• Premium Member

If going the PCV route make sure your ECU is back to stock settings such as fuel/ignition before using the maps from PCV database... 

either Hordpower or 2WDW is best choice for ECU reflash... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

On 3/11/2018 at 9:43 PM, Cruizin said:

The dream hookup is to get the FTECU active tune kit, then send it and your ECU to nels at @2wheeldynoworks . That is what I would do. 

If I were to do it all over again, I would probably take this route. Not saying my PCV and autotune kit doesn't work, which it does and works perfectly fine, the FTECU route is a much cleaner install and offers more tuning options within the ECU. With the PCV and autotune, I have pretty much no real estate under my passenger seat with those two clunky boxes in the way. I'm sure I could probably mount it differently but whatever.

I'm a little puzzled by this. I've heard a number of times that if you put an aftermarket pipe on a bike it would most likely run hotter, that a fuel/air kit would be needed but wouldn't the cooling system of the bike keep the temperatures in the safe zone?

Beemer

The fuel/air mixture will be leaner which will burn hotter which can damage engine internals like the valves or pistons. The coolant temp will most likely stay in range but  little things like in traffic you will notice the fan just constantly running and struggling to stay at the thermostat temp. Or cruising down the road just pegged at 180 not cycling from 173 to 180. Especially after you get a good tune you will see a difference. But you are right. It will keep the temp in the “safe” zone but that temp reading isn’t the cylinder temps.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

The one advantage to a Power Commander is you can make changes to your map at the track.  The bike-side FTecu requires an internet connection to make map changes and supposedly you can brick your ecu if you lose the connection during download.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

fuzzmedic

I am happy with my EJK (and akra Ti) and it was cheaper than a PCV. I will say 1) I have never ridden a bike with the PCV so I can't really compare, and 2) there aren't a ton of recommended settings for the EJK unlike the various maps for different mods you can get with the PCV.

That being said I regret nothing. The bike pulls hard, smooth and strong. Noticeably better than stock. Install is easy enough, but its a royal pain getting the injectors unplugged.

A6oB2Y6l.jpg

if you look closely you'll see my Dobeck Performance sticker on the swingarm

• Premium Member
norcal616

+ sending ECU out is easy peasy- just gotta mail out ECU- downtime depends on your shipping option... user cannot make any adjustments unless sent back to tuner

+ PCV- downtime depends on you- many maps to play with- have heard of others mixing and matching exhaust maps to suit the " butt dyno " - works just fine but the maps will not work "properly" with a flashed ECU other than OEM fuel/ign settings in ECU

+ PCV w/Auto Tuner... I use this and its the same as the FTech Active Tune except with the PCV you need to manually accept any fuel trims rather than the Active Tune doing it automatically... also will not work "properly" with flashed ECU other than OEM fuel/ign settings in ECU 

+ FTech Active tune- no personal experience with this set up

+ EJK - no personal experience with this set up

+ Woolich Racing - used on my FJ-09- 2WDW has other tuning tuning software 😉 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived