The MT-07 Forum

Rattle noise?

ADHWC93

Hey all,

so this is probably a noob question. My last bike was belt drive and I rode it for 2800+ miles over a 2 year period. Anyway, I've noticed while riding that my bike seems to have some sort of metal rattle noise, especially apparent under harder acceleration or going over bumps and imperfections in the road.

I almost want to say its chain noise, like its hitting on something, but I haven't had a chain driven bike in so long I don't know if that's even remotely accurate. Wanted to know if this is something to be concerned about and have checked out when I go do my first service, or if its something normal. I checked tension in the chain and it seems to be fine (unless the chain is suppose to be abnormally tight). Nothing from my brief overlook seemed off or loose, and I'm assuming the dealer did an inspect like they said before they sent me out on it.

I can snap a picture of the chain if that might be the cause. Get some info from knowledgeable people here.

• Premium Member

any chance of a video of the noise? 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

4 hours ago, norcal616 said:

any chance of a video of the noise? 

I could, but most likely it would just be wind noise. Don't have a way of recording it and bypassing the wind. I'm almost positive its not an engine noise though, or if it is, something is very wrong!

3 hours ago, elmo said:

I would bring back to the dealer.

Check if you have correct chain slack.

5aa3591028b9a_FZ-07_chain_slack_spec1.thumb.jpg.4bea178168b9ca2d97eadbd9f2aeefbb.jpg

If I push down on the chain with my finger and measure, looks to be about 2.5", assuming I'm doing it correctly.

I should be able to take it to any Yamaha dealer and have it checked, correct? I have one just up the street from me, while the one I bought it from is a good 40 mile ride. Not terrible, I know, but I've already been in that area 3 times in the last month! Lol.

• Premium Member

if you can lift the swingarm off the ground you can spin the back wheel and check for noise, same goes for front wheel... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Did you measure the slack with the rear wheel elevated and in neutral?

Stop by the local shop for their opinion, but you need to provide them more info.

Occurs at certain or all speeds and gears.

Smooth or bumpy road.

Are you bottoming out the rear shock.

Occurs under throttle or when backing off.

Good Luck...

If the chain hasn't been adjusted since you bought it I'd say there's a good chance the chain has stretched some and that maybe you're not checking it right. I bought a new chain recently and right around 300 miles the chain had stretched to where it needed adjustment, it made noise like what you described. Any dealership will check the slack and adjust for you but at around 90 hr. labor you might want to do it yourself. Just get the rear up in the air and follow the instructions, it's easy to do.

Beemer

When did you last lube your chain? Although a dry 'O' ring chain doesn't make as much noise as a dry non-O ring chain, it can make a difference. When I video'd my rear shock action I also got to hear and see what the chain was doing, noise that was probably masked by the Yoshi exhaust and Hord intake. Anyway, a loose chain rattles and flops around (lower run, slack side) a lot. So I'm with the others, check chain first.

4 hours ago, Beemer said:

If the chain hasn't been adjusted since you bought it I'd say there's a good chance the chain has stretched some and that maybe you're not checking it right. I bought a new chain recently and right around 300 miles the chain had stretched to where it needed adjustment, it made noise like what you described. Any dealership will check the slack and adjust for you but at around 90 hr. labor you might want to do it yourself. Just get the rear up in the air and follow the instructions, it's easy to do.

Is there a downside or a reason to not adjust it while just on the side stand?

I'd have to go out and find a rear stand and by that time I imagine I would be ready for my first service and would just have it done than. (Assuming I'd buy one online and have it shipped).

UPDATE/EDIT: Okay, so I do believe I measured wrong. Confusion on my part and a few other people making videos on it not really knowing either. Finally found one that showed correctly so I re-measured. Almost exactly 2.25" of slack. Also looked at the notches on each side and both are at exactly the 4th mark. I did notice that for some reason on the left side I can't see the 5th mark at all, but on the right side I can. Is that how its designed? I can take a picture to explain.

ADHWC93

Don't worry about that, it's just part of the design, mine is the same. You only need be concerned with the forward notches.

Beemer

Archived