The MT-07 Forum

My '16 FZ 07 with mods

fuzzmedic

Hello, I've been a lurker since last year when I picked up my leftover 2016 FZ 07. I've put around 2,500 miles on it since and am getting antsy for the warm weather and I've made a few upgrades so I figured I'd post here.

xYWkf5Tl.jpg

Up front I've added the OEM front cowl, Powermadd Star hand handguards with their motorcycle mounting kit, and Oxford Heaterz Sport Grips. The cowl really is just for show, but the combination of the handguards and heated grips really helps in the cold weather. I've ridden as cold as 35*F and with a decent pair of gloves my hands stay warm. I also went ahead with the R6 throttle tube when I changed grips which is an improvement over stock IMO.

v1dWi9Xl.jpg

kl7Fnkbl.jpg

Moving around back I've installed the Akrapovic Titanium exhaust and have left the baffle in. It has a very nice rumble when you get on it but isn't blisteringly loud like it would be with the baffle removed. I may drill a few holes in the baffle if I decide I want more noise but I'm happy as it sits. Paired with the exhaust is the Dobeck EJK and recommended snorkel removal of the factory airbox. The bike feels noticeably smoother and has a great throttle response. I also installed the Vagabond tail tidy which was an easy install and reuses the factory turn signals, as well as a Suprabrake II modulator for added visibility and safety. Finally I have OES sliders all around with spools for the rear.

qVhQJt7l.jpg

HaSW193l.jpg

XLBEoI0l.jpg

Welcome.  I like the "understated" approach to the mods.  Just a nice clean blacked out ride.  That OEM cowl matches real well with the handguards.  👌

16 minutes ago, fzar said:

image.png.0521290bf2ae91fe82c9ace0e851b342.pngWhat's the square thing between the cluster and the throttle?

That’s the controller for the Oxford heated grips. Ideally I would have mounted it on the other side but that placement just worked better. 

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Welcome.  I like the "understated" approach to the mods.  Just a nice clean blacked out ride.  That OEM cowl matches real well with the handguards.  1f44c.png

Thank you, I’m very happy with the finished product. I prefer a subtle look and think I’ve achieved that while changing everything I wanted to. 

• 5 weeks later...

I ended up getting OEM black heel guards and side covers, customTAYLOR33 rim tape, TechSpec tank pads, and a cheap ebay radiator guard

MT3fdoVl.jpg

A6oB2Y6l.jpg

Very nice taseteful mods! I'm looking to add the same heated grips. Did you remove the entire airbox or what did you do with the snorkel?

9 hours ago, Jaxx said:

Very nice taseteful mods! I'm looking to add the same heated grips. Did you remove the entire airbox or what did you do with the snorkel?

- I can't recommend the grips enough, they are fantastic. I also managed to snag a heated vest for $80 and between those two items I stay nice and toasty.

- I removed the whole cover/ snorkel, that's what Dobeck recommends. The filter is held in place with a nut so it's not going anywhere.

I like your bike a lot! I'm glad to see you had the balls to Just Say No to making your bike more cool looking and keeping the "pumpkin" turn signals. There's nothing like getting noticed when it really matters. I especially like the shiny black paint. It's the sexiest of all the colors, I think. Not that the factory mirrors look bad but have you considered getting some good CRG hindsight mirrors? They look good too but they're convex so they improve your field of view behind and to your sides greatly, they eliminate the elbow in the mirror problem and yet manage to look cool. They're expensive as far as mirrors go but the one thing that makes them worth it is they're of good quality and if you break a part on them you can simply buy the part. I accidentally broke my right side mirror recently and only had to replace the mirror, not the whole assembly. What a relief!

Some people have bought extensions for the factory mirrors to stop the elbow from blocking part of the view and that's cool, it's an improvement for sure but still, they're not convex and you can't buy just the part that breaks on them. That's the only thing I would change as far as looks go and that's only because the CRG's perform way better. I like the cowl, that was my first upgrade on my bike but found out later I needed something that offered more protection from wind and bugs so now it belongs to DewMan. The cowl looks like it belongs there and it looks good. Good job!

Beemer

5 hours ago, Beemer said:

I like your bike a lot!...

Thanks for the kind words! Its funny, the turn signals never bothered me but they're certainly a point of contention around here. If I found suitable LED replacements (not flush mounts) I'd consider it, but my money was best spent elsewhere. I'm also happy with the all black look, when I bought the bike they had mine and one in grey with hi viz which wasn't my thing. I've toyed with getting red plastics as its my favorite color, but the black is classy if you ask me. As far as mirrors, I plan on replacing them with bar ends at some point this summer, I just had to prioritize all the additions I made during the off season. And I love the cowl, I just can't jive with any of the windscreens that actually provide protection. If I plan a long road trip I'll likely grab one just for the trip though.

I like the cowl, first one I have seen that actually looks decent...

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Very tastefully done.... I have nearly the same bike! Was 2016 the only year they made black? Just curious-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, cornerslider said:

Very tastefully done.... I have nearly the same bike! Was 2016 the only year they made black? Just curious-

It looks like it, at least in the US.  Here is a good resource that @Guru compiled. 

• 2 months later...

Archived