The MT-07 Forum

Handlebars

scat2me

Hi new member here. Will be picking up a,2017 FZ07 this week. My only concern are the Handlebars. They are to low and narrow for me. I liked the XSR700 Bars and am wondering will they fit. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

• Global Moderator

You may have to change out the cables to the clutch, brake and title throttle, depending on how high you raise the bars.   I think you should try the stock bars for a while.  You might find they are not as uncomfortable as you think. 

No experience witht he XSR700 bars, so I can't comment there. ButI have Protaper Evo Adventure ( regular Adventure bar, not the Adventure High) bars on my bike. I used ProTapers universal mounts, too. 

These bars: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pro-taper-evo-adventure-handlebars-1-18?gclid=CjwKCAiAz-7UBRBAEiwAVrz-9d9e09mOZszDHR5WpAoa4L1hoS0Gdo3jIMiKhZORTq1JQV_JDBJz6RoCi4cQAvD_BwE

These mounts: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pro-taper-universal-solid-mount-kit

I'm running all stock cables, wires and hoses. But you do you have to modify a couple things. 

Clutch cable: There is a bracket on the right hand side of the engine ( looks like a heavy wire) that the clutch cable routes through. If you take the clutch cable out of this bracket it will be plenty long enough. But it will rub on your valve cover and eventually take the paint off. I was ok with that since any scratches would be hidden well under the tank. You don't have to disassemble anything, just reach in and unclip the cable from the hook. 

Front brake hose:  Behind the headlight is a retention point for the brake hose. I had to release that clamp, slide the hose up about an inch, then reinstall the clamp. I'm extremely particular about mechanical stuff, so I don't cut corners - especially on brake lines. Doing this has the hose pretty tight, but it's safe IMO. However, when I go to braided lines I fully intend to run a longer hose for this reason. 

Gauge mount: When you use the bar adapters your gauge will clash with the new, higher mounts. You'll have to fab up a bit of metal in order to raise the gauge mounting points. It can be just a flat plate with four holes in it. I just scalloped mine out because I'm a weight Nazi :D

7Y5OwHR.jpg

2qplXzX.jpg

If you happen to be in the Lynchburg-Roanoke, VA area feel free to come by and check them out for yourself before dropping coin. 

Did you use the stock grips and throttle? Or did you have to buy new ones. The pro taper bars show 1 1/8   will they be too wide ?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived