The MT-07 Forum

Bent dog bone link....

blackout

• Premium Member

Not my bike, got it off the Facebook group.  How could this happen?  I thought the dog bone link was in tension under bump travel.  Guy on Facebook does not know how it got that way.  Figured I would share here.

FB_IMG_1520210553584.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Must have 'Baja the bike or pounded a nice pothole... but it seems like more is wrong to cause that? 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Very odd. Yeah, they are under tension, so not sure how that would have happened at all. Even extreme bottoming couldn't cause crushing like that. Weird..

I wonder if he tried to jack the bike up and pushed against that area? That's the only way I can imagine crushing the dogbone. 

• Premium Member

this has been stuck in my mind for the last few days... its like a mechanics Rorschach test 😂😂...

its also cracked and you can see it been moving around quite on the bottom end of the dogbone... 

i see that its got an aftermarket exhaust and wonder if the one of the dogbone mount bolts got removed by accident when installing new exhaust? 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Force of impact when shock can not handle it. Something has to give up and dog bone is weakest link.

Better than bending mount/bolt where it is attached.

3 hours ago, twf said:

Force of impact when shock can not handle it. Something has to give up and dog bone is weakest link.

Better than bending mount/bolt where it is attached.

But the dogbone is in tension, not compression. So if the shock bottoms it would attempt to stretch the dogbone rather than crush it....or is my head screwed on backwards?

I don't know about backwards... Normally the shock is supposed to compress and rotate about the front bolt. But if it goes rigid and runs out of room to pivot upward, If the swing-arm is still trying to come up  then suddenly the force vector goes the other way and the bracket is in compression. Would have to be one hell of a hit I think. Did the guy G-out on a jump? Maybe he was trying to emulate that guy who jumped his hardley on a skate-board ramp and overflew it by 15 ft?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

When in compression stroke swingarm is going up, shock is compressing and link is moving forward (end where shock is bolted). Other end (where dog bones connect) is going down. Basically looking at that picture link is rotating counterclockwise. 

Either shock is bottomed out on travel or hydraulically locked when dog bones give up. 

9 hours ago, pattonme said:

I don't know about backwards... Normally the shock is supposed to compress and rotate about the front bolt. But if it goes rigid and runs out of room to pivot upward, If the swing-arm is still trying to come up  then suddenly the force vector goes the other way

I'm not sure about that. If the arm is pulling tension on the dogbone and it runs out of travel, it's still pulling under tension It can't suddenly reverse the direction of it's force. 

Andy over at AP Motoarts had one bend worse than that, he put a pic on Insta in March last year of it next to his replacement solution. Never did say how or why it got that way though....

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

Archived