The MT-07 Forum

New Bike, Old Rider

fhilliard41

fhilliard41

I just sold my H-D Super Glide T-Sport (FXDX-T) and bought a FZ-07 for the knockout price of $7,276 (inc. PDI/Freight/Documentation, but excluding taxes). What a lovely bike! what a great colour! But can a 77-year old handle a rocket like this? Well, here's a list of the bikes I've owned since 1959: Lambretta Li150, Ariel Leader, Triumph T-110, Vespa (2 stroke), BMW R75/5, BMW R100CS, Suzuki GS1100sz (Katana), Honda Aero80, Kawasaki GPz 750, Ducati Desmo 450, Ducati 907ie, Suzuki SV650, Suzuki TL1000S, H-D XL1200R, Honda ST1100, Vespa 150, Ducati ST4s, Honda CBR250R, the aforementiond T-Sport and now the FZ07. I guess so.

Anyway, should be fun. It's still in the showroom, as you can see in the pic. the MRA windshield isn't on it yet. I'm looking forward to talking about it here on the forum with you folks.

FZ07 Showroom.jpg

• Global Moderator

If you can hand a Vespa you can handle an FZ-07 😀.  Seriously though it looks like you have a lot of experience.  You will love the Yamaha.  Welcome to the forum and the FZ-07 family.  

• Premium Member

once he puts an aftermarket exhaust on, hes gonna wish his HD sounded like the FZ-07 😎 ( Yoshi + HordPower airbox = sound worthy of classics like Mozart, etc) 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

12 hours ago, fhilliard41 said:

...... But can a 77-year old handle a rocket like this?

(Ariel Leader)

I guess so.

Definitely! This 77yr old has done so for a couple years. You are in for a treat. The bike is huge fun.

(My Ariel 350 was my first bike in 1956 - like avatar)

Enjoy!

Just do it! 

Welcome and congrats. Something tells me your FZ knows when it's met it's master and will behave.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Welcome to the Forum, your in for a nice surprise with your new purchase. It's easy to maneuver and behaves very well, if you make it behave. It'll also be as misbehaved as you let it, meaning it pretty much covers just about everything you could think of with a motorcycle within reason. It's just a great all-round bike, I'm sure you got this 1 covered with your experience.

fhilliard41

Thanks guys; I appreciate the welcome. In that list at the top I forgot to mention two: a BSA DBD34GS (Gold Star) 😎 and a Suzuki Burgman 450 ☹️. Here's my first question: how accurate is the spedometer when measured against a GPS?

Congrats on the new bike! And a XR1200...very nice! 

I don't know the answer about the speedo. But don't worry about, we can't see our speedo anyway :D

fhilliard41

Yes, the European sportster (XR1200) is very nice (except for the muffler), but what I had was an XL1200R, which is also very sharp. All it needed was the rear shocks from the XR and it would have been perfect. Curiously, and maybe the reason I bought it, was its similarity with my earlier T-110 from 50 years ago. Notice the tank colour; same, same. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
fhilliard41

First ride was home from the dealer. Wow! Just a litle wrist and I'm way head of traffic and 30 kph over the limit. I'm trying to think of a way of describing the sound of it accelerating: like a small girl wearing thick socks running across a wooden floor. Very subtle.

FirstDay.thumb.jpg.924222be6dec79a35922cb3cda88db43.jpg

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, fhilliard41 said:

First ride was home from the dealer. Wow! Just a litle wrist and I'm way head of traffic and 30 kph over the limit. I'm trying to think of a way of describing the sound of it accelerating: like a small girl wearing thick socks running across a wooden floor. Very subtle.

Nice description of the exhaust.... Never heard it put quite that way but it's accurate. 👍

I know you've barely gotten it home but any planned modifications yet?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

The Aussie 07 speedo is 8kph out at 100kph ( ie it shows 108kph when the gps says 100). So 5mph at 60mph.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
fhilliard41
On 14/03/2018 at 12:28 PM, DewMan said:

I know you've barely gotten it home but any planned modifications yet?

One very small addition. I've ordered LSL crash pads (frame sliders). LSL is a great German accessory company and their sliders come in blue which will look sharp.

fhilliard41
On 18/03/2018 at 2:37 PM, gregjet said:

The Aussie 07 speedo is 8kph out at 100kph ( ie it shows 108kph when the gps says 100). So 5mph at 60mph.

Thanks for this. I'm usually over the limit; I just like to know by how much. :)

On 3/14/2018 at 12:54 PM, fhilliard41 said:

FirstDay.thumb.jpg.924222be6dec79a35922cb3cda88db43.jpg

That's what I like about it the most, I don't even try to get way ahead of the pack leaving a light but I do and that's alright by me. I hate people being too close behind me. BTW, love that ice blue.

Beemer

Archived