The MT-07 Forum

2018 headlight compatibility...

Jarrod C

Hello! I really don't like the stock headlight on the FZ-07. I like the Motodemic conversion but I'm not spending $600 on a headlight. I've been trying to see if the FZ-09 headlight could fit, but then I saw that the 2018 MT-07 has a new light that I like. Does anyone know if the new headlight unit is a direct swap? Also, if you know of any other headlight options, let me know.

18 hours ago, Jarrod C said:

Hello! I really don't like the stock headlight on the FZ-07. I like the Motodemic conversion but I'm not spending $600 on a headlight. I've been trying to see if the FZ-09 headlight could fit, but then I saw that the 2018 MT-07 has a new light that I like. Does anyone know if the new headlight unit is a direct swap? Also, if you know of any other headlight options, let me know.

Have you considered auxiliary lights to light up the road a little better?

Beemer

chademinent

Anything is compatible, it just depends on how much ingenuity you have.  The cost of factory parts also makes this swap less than desirable.  I did mine for a lot less than the motodemic kit but I'm still messing with it a year later to get it dialed in perfectly.

IMG_20171028_115859_424.thumb.jpg.c19449ced1985041a8c71853166dc8c1.jpg

AlbatrossCafe

I agree, the stock headlight is the worst thing about this bike.

You can make anything work for $50 - $N with fork tube clamps. I made a thread on my conversion here (though it got f***ed up when the forum tech changed and I haven't fixed it yet):

AlbatrossCafe
18 hours ago, fzar said:

Nice lights, @AlbatrossCafe What Levers do you have on your bike? their nice, I like the black and blue.

Thanks! And I would love to tell you, but I have no idea...  I got them back in 2015 and my eBay purchase history doesn't go back that far lol. They were some Chinese brand I got for like $32. They have done me well for 24k miles.

On 3/1/2018 at 2:36 PM, Jarrod C said:

...but then I saw that the 2018 MT-07 has a new light that I like. Does anyone know if the new headlight unit is a direct swap?

I've been trying to figure this out as well. From the pictures, I think the headlight itself will probably work without much effort but you will need the turn signal mounts as well as they've been relocated. Also, from what I can tell, the turn signals don't function as DRL's like pre-'18 and there are two parking lights in the new headlight (like the -09) instead of one, which makes me think the wiring harness may be different. Anyone know if the -09 has two separate wires at the harness for the parking lights (as opposed to one connector that feeds both parking lights)?

2018 MT-07.jpg

• Global Moderator

I suspect the photo is the European version and we will get our beloved pumpkins with DRL's.  I guess we will have to wait for them to hit the dealerships before we know for sure. The new -09 has LED headlights, I do not know if it even has the aux light.  

You're probably right. I didn't realize the revzilla/cycle world first ride review was in Spain so the non DRL's would make sense.

Sorry, I was asking about the earlier -09 wiring as the new -07 headlight looks basically identical to the pre-johnny 5, i mean pre-'17, -09.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

id like to try this. id also like to get my hands on the plastics if they fit.  frame looks to be the exact same but idk if the mounting points are.🤔 The seats different too. i like it.

Archived