The MT-07 Forum

MCN Tests 2018 MT-07

robbo10

• Premium Member

With statements like "The MT-07 has been a huge success for Yamaha, thanks to a pair of great engines" makes me wonder if they don't know their facts or did I miss a motor option somewhere along the line?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
50 minutes ago, DewMan said:

With statements like "The MT-07 has been a huge success for Yamaha, thanks to a pair of great engines" makes me wonder if they don't know their facts or did I miss a motor option somewhere along the line?

There is a lower power engine available in some markets (not in the US), so perhaps that is what they are referring to.  

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

There is a lower power engine available in some markets (not in the US), so perhaps that is what they are referring to.  

You're probably right.. but technically it's the same motor but detuned for whatever restricted class Aussies have to deal with.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

While they start with the same engine they reduce the displacement to 655cc for the Australia LAMS version.  I guess it depends how you define an engine. 

2 hours ago, DewMan said:

I am fairly sure that what they meant to refer to was the MT range's  07 twin and 09 triple engines. There is only one twin engine in an MT-07 available here (UK). It's the writer's mistake.

Just do it! 

• Global Moderator
18 minutes ago, robbo10 said:

I am fairly sure that what they meant to refer to was the MT range's  07 twin and 09 triple engines. There is only one twin engine in an MT-07 available here (UK). It's the writer's mistake.

I am not sure about that.  There is also the MT-10 and in some markets the MT-03, so that is at least four engines in the MT range. 

The MT’s KYB front forks remain non-adjustable but have 6% more spring rate and 16% on the rebound damping – all in in a bid to give more feel and better control. 

Hardly worth even mentioning giving how lacking the previous ones already where. Anything is better than nothing I suppose.

The rear shock is all new, adjustable for preload as before, but now with a range of rebound damping adjustment. Spring rate is up by 11%, high-speed rebound damping by 27% and high speed compression damping by 40%.

Meat and potatoes right there!

I thought I liked the new styling better, but after watching their slide show, I'm not so sold on that headlight anymore. hmmm...

• Global Moderator

I am holding my opinion on the styling until I see it in person.  I am often surprised by how different bikes (and cars) look in photos than in real life. 

I Hate the moped

Plus I only read mags for the pictures, I mean I cannot read through some dip wanker impression that is canned.  Just replace yamaha with suszuki with triumph with blah blah blah

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

40pct more comp damping on the shock? That doesn't sound like a good idea...

Hey worthless journos cut/pasting from marketing drivel, how about you demand Yam post the damping graphs so the curves can be studied, or at the before/after lines least provide some frame of reference to the reader?

Hint to Yamaha, just put your PR on the website and post the link. 50 line web page reduced to 2 lines and a batch of pictures.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The old fork definitely did not feel over-damped to me. The shock lack fast rebound, though, in my limited experience. But IMO, something like a 1990-on GSX600F Katana had significantly better suspension front and rear than a <2017 MT07, meaning the quality so far on our Yamaha should be unheard of on a modern bike.

34 minutes ago, faffi said:

...... meaning the quality so far on our Yamaha should be unheard of on a modern bike.

But then there is the issue of price.  I can put up with the poor suspension for the price and everything else the bike gives me.  It was Yamaha-inevitable that they would improve the suspension, but that does not seem to have stopped us buying in the meantime. IMO, Yamaha had proved that introducing bikes (like the XTZ 1200 Tenere) at a high price for a quality bike was, for them, a mistake in certain sectors of the market.

Just do it! 

Bigturbomax

Im a little annoyed they couldnt be bothered to ride it and review suspension updates. I really wanna know if the rear shock would be an inexpensive, viable upgrade for the older models.

@robbo10 - it would not have cost more to fit parts with a bit more damping, just better testing leading to a different specification before production. I agree that adjustable suspension would cost more, but a smaller hole for rebound in the shock and a fork oil giving 20% more damping would have zero impact on retail.

• Premium Member

I'm personally feeling a bit more practical about the FZ-07 suspension. For it's price point, I'm happy they cheaped out on the suspension since I was going to upgrade the suspension anyway.

Even it they'd spend, and charged more for, slightly better suspension I'd most likely still be upgrading from OEM. So the $$ I didn't spend on the bike allows me to buy better suspension of my choice not Yamaha's. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Faffi, you may be correct. But I find it hard to  believe that Yam was careless about the hole and the oil. There must be a valuable reason why it was left as it was. A limit on testing time might be part of it, of course. Bear in mind that Yamaha's financial situation was pretty dire at the time. So, if we said that 'all the money went into the engine', we might not be too far from the truth.

Just do it! 

3 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Im a little annoyed they couldnt be bothered to ride it and review suspension updates. I really wanna know if the rear shock would be an inexpensive, viable upgrade for the older models.

I have compared the online report and the MCN newspaper. Only in the newspaper is there the report on riding the bike. I think there will be a delay before that analysis reaches their online test section. If it helps, in the paper it talks about " Now the ride is compliant...the suspension soaks up most bumps and imperfections....you  can ride it harded and faster...springs aren't bouncing around..." I will keep an eye out for the full report coming online.

Just do it! 

4 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Was watching a video on the 2018 and the guy riding the bike said Yamaha has put an "embargo" on releasing any type of statements like this. They are having guys come ride the bikes, but they don't want people giving reviews until the bike hits the showrooms, I guess? Seemed weird to me. 

• Global Moderator

While I do not know specifically about motorcycles, press embargoes are quite common in most industries.  It lets people have time to review a product without giving a single publication the advantage of an earlier review.  I expect we will see everyone publishing their reviews soon.  I am looking forward to it. 

MCN was always known as "More Crap than News" and that article seems to follow, I really didn't see anything of value, no mention if the changes really made a difference and how, I had trouble even seeing if the speedo was different from the pics.. Usual naff bit of reporting from MCN, very neutral data intended to not upset anyone or provide any real opinions.

Gary

• Premium Member
cornerslider
2 hours ago, DewMan said:

I'm personally feeling a bit more practical about the FZ-07 suspension. For it's price point, I'm happy they cheaped out on the suspension since I was going to upgrade the suspension anyway.

Even it they'd spend, and charged more for, slightly better suspension I'd most likely still be upgrading from OEM. So the $$ I didn't spend on the bike allows me to buy better suspension of my choice not Yamaha's. ✌️

I'm with DewMan on this one.... I did a "bare-bones" Ohlins rear shock, and Racetech springs & Gold Valve Emulators + preload adjusters. The total cost was just under $800, and I couldn't be happier. I'm also very happy that Yamaha didn't up-charge me for their version of an "upgraded suspension". I like to set my bike up for ME, not a "one-size-fits-some" suspension.... I'd imagine the 2018's are improved, but I doubt it is worth the price increase compared to going aftermarket. Just my opinion-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

34 minutes ago, godoy.rafa said:

I wonder when the 2018 rear shock will be available for purchase...

They'll be on ebay within a few months of the '18's hitting the road and guys starting wrecking bikes.

Archived