The MT-07 Forum

After market Clip-on Risers Handlebars

AshesInAmador

AshesInAmador

Curious if anyone has bought and tried out any aftermarket risers or handlebars. What  do you think of them? Do they feel and/or handle more aggressively/better?

In most cases , fitting risers to the bars will make your bike LESS agressive handling ( except against you). Especially on this bike because of the geometry. Risers tend to move your weight backward ( less aggressive) and upward ( requires a bit more aggressive body movement to get the CoG as low as it was before when leaning).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

AshesInAmador

Thank you! Any suggestions for handlebars etc. My previous bike was an R6, love my new bike, but still getting used to the new body position. I have seen a few mods with cafe style for example.

I agree with the risers, it would be better suited to get a set of bars that will supply that rise and sweep that would fit your style and stature.  Coming from an R6 there will be zero comparison even if going with a cafe look and feel.  Having an R1 I have the best of both worlds, so the FZ is being set as a Street Tracker.  All mentioned the suspenders will be the problem with risers to much rake, stanchions to far forward from center and cheap not even old school components will be the challange.

Any welcome,

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

If you are looking for a more aggressive body position I would look into the Woodcraft Clip-on adapters.  It will sweep the bars similar to your R6.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Note the Woodies are VERY heavy, but if you are used to an R6, probably actually way more comfortable than that. They do have a good solid feel, but the rubber mounts of the stock bar mounts, take away a bit of that. My Favourites are Renthal Ultralows. Lighter than stock and very vibration absorbing ( not that it is a big problem on the 07).

For people not favouring wider, more upright bars, Ultra lows and the Woodies pretty have the most support on this forum. Woodies are definitely better in the twisties, Ultras better for touring/distance. Woodies are lower, than the ultralows but not a lot.

AshesInAmador
On 2/26/2018 at 12:25 PM, gregjet said:

Note the Woodies are VERY heavy, but if you are used to an R6, probably actually way more comfortable than that. They do have a good solid feel, but the rubber mounts of the stock bar mounts, take away a bit of that. My Favourites are Renthal Ultralows. Lighter than stock and very vibration absorbing ( not that it is a big problem on the 07).

For people not favouring wider, more upright bars, Ultra lows and the Woodies pretty have the most support on this forum. Woodies are definitely better in the twisties, Ultras better for touring/distance. Woodies are lower, than the ultralows but not a lot.

Thank you I really appreciate the input. I

live in an area with winding roads in every direction so spend a lot of time in the twisties. It has been a bit of a transition from my R6, but love the FZ so far. 

My opinion, in that case, in to chuck the rubber bar mounts in the top triple clamps, make some All or Hi Density spacers to replace them and go woodies or aluminium flat fars ( dragbars not too wide).

...Lucky bastard...

Where are you?

These are the ones I made originally. The only stock I had was 25mm which is the width of the wider part ( hat brim). My existing ones now were made from 30mm stock so the brim bit is 5mm wider and sits better. Sorry I put them in before I took any pictures. They inprove the road feel considerably but increase the vibration to noticeable.

The dimensions shown should be correct though and the hole is the size of the stock clamp through bolts.

DSCN1134 - Copy.JPG

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, gregjet said:

My opinion, in that case, in to chuck the rubber bar mounts in the top triple clamps, make some All or Hi Density spacers to replace them and go woodies or aluminium flat fars ( dragbars not too wide).

...Lucky bastard...

Where are you?

These are the ones I made originally. The only stock I had was 25mm which is the width of the wider part ( hat brim). My existing ones now were made from 30mm stock so the brim bit is 5mm wider and sits better. Sorry I put them in before I took any pictures. They inprove the road feel considerably but increase the vibration to noticeable.

The dimensions shown should be correct though and the hole is the size of the stock clamp through bolts.

DSCN1134 - Copy.JPG

At my novice skill level, I have not noticed the rubber bushings causing any issues yet.  I'll be paying attention when track riding this year.

I wonder if a Delrin bushing would be a good option instead of aluminum.?  Should be just as stiff and almost half the weight.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

10 minutes ago, blackout said:

At my novice skill level, I have not noticed the rubber bushings causing any issues yet.  I'll be paying attention when track riding this year.

I wonder if a Delrin bushing would be a good option instead of aluminum.?  Should be just as stiff and almost half the weight.

Not being funny, but I'm honestly surprised the bushings don't bother you. Racing or not. When I sat on a 07 at the dealership I threw my hands on the bars and felt them move. My first thoughts were, "Wtf? This isn't an Ironhead. How bad do these engines vibrate?". It didn't take long for me to disable my bushings, and the difference was huge. No difference in vibes through the bars. 

I can't stand floppy bars. And I don't lean on the bars. Upright position street hooning. I can only imagine low bars+ rearsets must really exacerbate the mushiness. 

Fwiw, I must be very sensitive to bar flex. I can feel my 1 1/8" ProTaper's flex on my hands while riding. That was disappointing, and why I still rock steel bars off-road. 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Not being funny, but I'm honestly surprised the bushings don't bother you. Racing or not. When I sat on a 07 at the dealership I threw my hands on the bars and felt them move. My first thoughts were, "Wtf? This isn't an Ironhead. How bad do these engines vibrate?". It didn't take long for me to disable my bushings, and the difference was huge. No difference in vibes through the bars. 

I can't stand floppy bars. And I don't lean on the bars. Upright position street hooning. I can only imagine low bars+ rearsets must really exacerbate the mushiness. 

Fwiw, I must be very sensitive to bar flex. I can feel my 1 1/8" ProTaper's flex on my hands while riding. That was disappointing, and why I still rock steel bars off-road. 

I don't know, mine seem quite stiff.  When I had my bars off completely I took a close look at the bushings and they looked robust.  They only move with good leverage on them.  Most likely I'll replace them soon enough, but they honestly don't bother me yet.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

38 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Then you would hate my Twisted Engineering composite fat bars...I tried a lot of hand grips (cushion, waffle etc.), vibranators, homemade bar wts. etc., alloy bars and still couldn't ride my DRZ 440 for long before my hands would go numb, especially the throttle side...so...on a whim I decided to try the composite bars, the most flexible version of the 3 offered. The first ride you notice how you can push on them and feel the flex but after a little bit I don't notice that any more but my forearms now feel better, hands and wrists and best the throttle hand now take much longer before noticing any numbness from vibes. I'm not using stock top fork clamp but aftermarket without soft bushings but hard urethane. Forearms take much less of a beating over rocks and boulders now. Kind of like 'pivot pegs', at first they feel weird but after a bit I wouldn't ride without them...just my preference.

Off road you don't notice, but on road you sometimes get the feeling your tyres have slipped or the suspension is doing wierd things with rubber mounts. Especially in mid corner when you are really pushing the inside bar with your weight on it.  Rubber mounted footpegs do a similiar thing.

Carbon bars are awesome for absorbing vibration.

DElrin actually will weight about the same. It isn't that light compared to Al. But it will work fine. My first set I turned down was delrin but I stuffed them a bit so started from scratch.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, gregjet said:

DElrin actually will weight about the same. It isn't that light compared to Al. But it will work fine. My first set I turned down was delrin but I stuffed them a bit so started from scratch.

Well, the part being small, using Delrin, it won't weigh much less.  But, Delrin does have a density half of what aluminum is.  Delrin has a density of 1,356 kg/meter cubed,  while aluminum is 2,768 kg/meter cubed.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

Off road you don't notice, but on road you sometimes get the feeling your tyres have slipped or the suspension is doing wierd things with rubber mounts. Especially in mid corner when you are really pushing the inside bar with your weight on it.  

Exactly. It's not as severe, but the same sensation as when you've got a peg down and that gallon of milk in your saddle bag shifts and you just KNOW you've lost the rear... 😂

"NoOoOoOooooo....oh, it was just the milk... I'm good!" ...braaaaaap!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, gregjet said:

Off road you don't notice, but on road you sometimes get the feeling your tyres have slipped or the suspension is doing wierd things with rubber mounts. Especially in mid corner when you are really pushing the inside bar with your weight on it.  Rubber mounted footpegs do a similiar thing.

Carbon bars are awesome for absorbing vibration.

This maybe the answer to my; Unknown sense of losing the front mid corner and standing it up momentarily, I'm not pushing it that hard, but sometimes I'm like wtf is this? I thought for a while it may have been the suspension but it wasn't consistent. It very well maybe the suspension, but I now have something else to ponder about.I figured it wasn't the PR3's as I'm sure the tyres will way out perform me and the riding I do, (with heat in them.) I also hate the movement and flex coming from the bars through the mounts when I pull on them. Hmm! Thanks for putting that out there @gregjet

The front end vague problem is a function of the bike I am still grappling with. I keep getting distracted by other projects.

Here is what I have done but it still has a remaining vagueness, though nothing like when I bought it.

Proper rear shock . Nitron. Dome some tuning though it is still not quite right.

GVE and springs for the front end, then chucked them, and installed pattonme's internal cartridge swap ( non reversible). Huge improvement. Also sits higher static and under load so I raised the rear 25mm ( raising link) to load the front a bit more. This made the biggest difference.

Solid handle bar bushes and removed the rubber bushes in the footpegs ( you would be surprised). Helped corner entry and exit feel , but not the vagueness mid corner.

I suspect the tyres still but haven't got around to changing them . I will go 170/60 Michelin pr4 or the nre Road 5's . I am hoping that helps a bit more.

I suspec the big item would to get the longer Tracer swingarm but no idea how to go about it yet or even if it is a direct fit.

Blackout, I have what I was sold as delrin and it is pretty close to the same weight as the Al spacers ( It did have a slightly bigger hat brim). It doesn't look like the delrin I used to buy in the 70's though. Darker and shiney. The delrin I used to get was matt finish and sort of flecked look. I asked when I got it and I suspected it was some sort of hi temp hi-den nylon but was assured otherwise.

Could be on of those called on thing in one country and something else in other places.

4 hours ago, gregjet said:

It doesn't look like the delrin I used to buy in the 70's though. Darker and shiney. The delrin I used to get was matt finish and sort of flecked look.

I hate to break it to you, but synthetic materials have changed just a wee bit in 30+ years. *grin*

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

On 2/25/2018 at 2:38 PM, AshesInAmador said:

Curious if anyone has bought and tried out any aftermarket risers or handlebars. What  do you think of them? Do they feel and/or handle more aggressively/better?

I bought some risers but there wasn't enough slack in the cables to mount them. It was suggested to me to loosen my grips and move them more inward to create more slack or simply buy some longer cables. I've done neither so far. What I did do to improve the height of the bars was to rotate them up a little from the stock position and that helped so I haven't felt the need to make any other adjustments right away.

Here are the risers I bought in case you're interested. At the time I paid $21.99 for them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072PZ6N63/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Beemer

"I hate to break it to you, but synthetic materials have changed just a wee bit in 30+ years. *grin*"

True but you would think a proprietry name like Delrin would apply to the same product. I still think what I have isn't delrin but it works pretty well and is VERY tough.

Beemer.

You don't need to move the grips, just the controls so long as there is enough bar real estate. The throttle can be usually , though not always, rotated around the bars to reduce the triple clamp to throttle cable attachment distance. I usually move both levers inwards if at all possible anyway to move my fingers furthur along the levers to increase the lever ratio. Something I learned from cable brake days.

AshesInAmador
On 3/1/2018 at 11:25 PM, gregjet said:

...Lucky bastard...

Where are you?

DSCN1134 - Copy.JPG

I live in the Sierra Foothills East of Sacramento in California. We often ride HWY 49 North or South and up to Tahoe or Yosemite. Grew up on HWY 1 our on the coast which is my favorite place to ride. I will definitely be looking into woodies or aluminum flat bars as well as having the appropriate parts done. Thank you so much for this really appreciate it!

On 3/3/2018 at 2:26 PM, gregjet said:

"I hate to break it to you, but synthetic materials have changed just a wee bit in 30+ years. *grin*"

True but you would think a proprietry name like Delrin would apply to the same product. I still think what I have isn't delrin but it works pretty well and is VERY tough.

Beemer.

You don't need to move the grips, just the controls so long as there is enough bar real estate. The throttle can be usually , though not always, rotated around the bars to reduce the triple clamp to throttle cable attachment distance. I usually move both levers inwards if at all possible anyway to move my fingers furthur along the levers to increase the lever ratio. Something I learned from cable brake days.

Yeah, after I'd said that I knew something wasn't right, thanks for the input on that!

Beemer

Archived