The MT-07 Forum

Question For those with the air box snorkel and lid removed.

qjohnson

Didn't really know where to ask this so mods you can move it to ther right section if need be. So how do you guys go about washing your bike now? It seems like water could enter the area with the air filter very easily while washing the bike and without any protection like the snorkel gave it, the water can just go right down in there. Anyone think of this yet? I may modify the stock air box cover to be solid and just throw that on before the wash and take it back off after but it will be a pain in the butt with having to take the seat off everytime.

I know I can just avoid the area but then again you never know if you might get water in there. Plus what if you're bike is outside and it's downpouring? It just seems like it's very vulnerable to water intrusion. Kinda makes me want to put the air box lid and snorkel back on. Idk lemme know what you guys think.

• Premium Member

Test it to find out. Put a plastic bag over it then some paper towels over that and hose it down. See if the paper towels get wet.

Test it to find out. Put a plastic bag over it then some paper towels over that and hose it down. See if the paper towels get wet.
I'm gonna do this next time I wash the bike. Should be this week sometime.

• 10 months later...

Removed the rubber snorkel and put a bag and paper towel over that in the air box. Washed the bike and some water did get on the paper towel. The bike does feel like it has more power now though. Less decel pop too. I have m4 slip on exhaust.
I think I'll probably put the snorkel back on though to be safe, never know when might have pop up shower while riding.

Unless you are racing for tons of money against other bikes with the same exact HP,the tiny extra power you may get isnt worth it.

Airbox mods, while common, often end up letting more crap onto your airfilter. Airbox mods can cause an Airfilter to clog or get dirty much sooner than normal. A dirty filter will rob much more power than the little gain you may get from the airbox mod.

That airbox and filter is the ONLY thing keeping dirt out of your engine. Think about that.

I don't wash mine with water to avoid having to towel dry everything to avoid rust. I use this instead which makes quick work of most everything that sticks to it, other than heavy mud. And I don't have to rinse off suds either.

[attachment id=749" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

it was made with the snorkel for a reason right.. better safe than sorry! I have some mist and wipe motorcycle detailer that I use between washes. Might should just use it and not wash with water, don't mind towel dry but would hate to see rust anywhere.

bmwpowere36m3
I don't wash mine with water to avoid having to towel dry everything to avoid rust. I use this instead which makes quick work of most everything that sticks to it, other than heavy mud. And I don't have to rinse off suds either. 

You wash the whole bike with degreaser?  And don't rinse… or are we talking air filters? 

If it's the bike then don't do it, trust me.  Wash it normally and don't worry about some surface rust that "might" form.  Unless you have a garage queen, never drive in the rain, etc… stuff is going to rust to a degree with age.  Degreaser will fade all the surfaces and paint very quickly and make the bike look much older than a little rust.

I give my bikes a quick once over with a large micro fiber after washing them, then get out the air hose and spray the hard to reach areas. then, I go for a little rip and it's perfectly dry when I get home.

I wouldn't put degreaser on painted surfaces.

• Premium Member
it was made with the snorkel for a reason right.. better safe than sorry! I have some mist and wipe motorcycle detailer that I use between washes. Might should just use it and not wash with water, don't mind towel dry but would hate to see rust anywhere.

I use Armor All wet wipes that come in a tube for all surfaces on my bike.

So far it has handled every dirt and grease, and leaves my seat fabric and plastics protected somewhat.

I use a coupla clean ones up above, when they get dirty I use em on the muffler, wheels, forks. Repeat as needed. About 6-8 wipes completely clean my bike in about 30 minutes, then I toss em and I'm dry and done with a showroom ready bike.

Databyter

You wash the whole bike with degreaser?  And don't rinse… or are we talking air filters? 

If it's the bike then don't do it, trust me.  Wash it normally and don't worry about some surface rust that "might" form.  Unless you have a garage queen, never drive in the rain, etc… stuff is going to rust to a degree with age.  Degreaser will fade all the surfaces and paint very quickly and make the bike look much older than a little rust.
Good catch! My mistake, (what was I thinking!) that's what I use to clean up oil off the garage floor and it can eat your paint over time even though it's green, citrus based. I use Glass Plus to clean any dirt spots off the bike. I mentioned using that to clean my bike in another thread. It's not ammonia based and doesn't eat paint or clear coat.

Beemer

Archived