The MT-07 Forum

Adding lightness

faffi

I know it is about removing things and/or fitting lighter parts, but I find it quite difficult to do without compromising looks, functionality or spending lots of money. Some are quite good at it, though, and perhaps if I practiced a lot I could become that too. Looking at the Honda CB400SF, which I am building at the moment, there really isn't a lot of parts I can remove. Well, a few kilos could be lost by fitting a lighter exhaust system, the footpeg hangers can be removed and replaced by something lighter, the sidecovers could go and save some grams, but overall I think it would be very hard to drop more than 10 kg without resorting to some serious high cost items like lighter wheels and suspension parts etc.

But many times I also wonder where the weight is resting with some bikes. For instance, a Yamaha XS400 DOHC twin weighs ever so slightly MORE than an MT07, despite lots of parts that must be lighter on the old bike. It is also amazing how the same XS (XJ in USA) 400 can be about 65 kilo heavier than the XR400 from Honda. Could you lop 65 kg off an XS400 and still have a functional bike without totally re-constructing the whole bike? Probably not.

Anybody here have experience making bikes significantly lighter?

I just started my diet program a few days ago. Some of what I'm doing may seem silly, but with my own welders and lathe I am able to work for free. Biggest thing is turning anything steel in to aluminum. Aluminum is roughly 1/3 the weight of steel. 

I agree with not wanting the bike to look stripped down, or lose functionality. So far I'm down a little over 9lbs. The only functionality I've lost is the pillion pegs. 

Easy places to drop weight on our bikes

- pillion pegs are 1.2lbs each

- fake spar frame covers are 1lb each

- tail tidy will be with roughly 2lbs on average. 

There's 6.5lbs shed for under $30

I'm currently rebuilding my SW Motech saddle bag frame brackets. The brackets are incredibly heavy steel plate. That will help me lose 2lbs.

Last night I rebuilt all my wheel spacers out of aluminum. Very small amount of material, but still worth a little over 1/4 lb. combined with losing the front reflectors and fork covers, you're looking right another pound lost. If can do it on the cheap, chasing ounces will net you pounds.  

Most bikes that I see, the rider is less than slim!! I suspect the biggest and cheapest weight reduction would be for the rider to go on a diet. Rider weight has a huge impact on power to weight ratio and all the weight sits up high (on the seat) so it has a much bigger effect than the weight of the engine and other parts, which sit much lower!! You might take it tongue in cheek, but seriously loosing weight is cheap, good for your health and good for the bike performance!! If you or anyone else is a little rotund!! Consider a diet before buying tons of carbon fiber!! This advise applies to me as well as most other riders!!

Gary

Paleo

Awersom R1Limited, that is AWESOME, My GOSH and so simple too Your a Genious R1Limited

:)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

I  just need to lose 50 lbs. Which is probably easier and cheaper than the bike losing that much weight. 😁

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

5 hours ago, faffi said:

I know it is about removing things and/or fitting lighter parts, but I find it quite difficult to do without compromising looks, functionality or spending lots of money. Some are quite good at it, though, and perhaps if I practiced a lot I could become that too. Looking at the Honda CB400SF, which I am building at the moment, there really isn't a lot of parts I can remove. Well, a few kilos could be lost by fitting a lighter exhaust system, the footpeg hangers can be removed and replaced by something lighter, the sidecovers could go and save some grams, but overall I think it would be very hard to drop more than 10 kg without resorting to some serious high cost items like lighter wheels and suspension parts etc.

But many times I also wonder where the weight is resting with some bikes. For instance, a Yamaha XS400 DOHC twin weighs ever so slightly MORE than an MT07, despite lots of parts that must be lighter on the old bike. It is also amazing how the same XS (XJ in USA) 400 can be about 65 kilo heavier than the XR400 from Honda. Could you lop 65 kg off an XS400 and still have a functional bike without totally re-constructing the whole bike? Probably not.

Anybody here have experience making bikes significantly lighter?

Well, my -07 lost 20 # just by my questionable weighing technique...felt good for about a day until the forum slapped me around a bit...I think I discovered where I went wrong but refuse to divulge my error...just yet anyway.

In the good old days our bikes were made of heavier wall steel tubing of a lower spec, cheap and strong enough but yes, heavy. The FZ-07 is supposed to be made with a better high strength alloy and after drilling a few holes in it, I can attest to this fact. The higher strength alloys can be made in a thinner wall but how thin can also depend on manufacturing considerations such as ease of tube fitting, welding etc.  But you're right, it's hard to lose significant wt. without major changes and expenditures of money. On our bike the exhaust system is the easiest place to lose a lot of wt. with an increase in performance to boot. Just following shinyribs wt. loss items loses 6.5# but you start to lose functionality (pillion pegs), replacing the battery with a lithium will save several pounds maybe as much as 5#. I have found that there can be a significant difference in the wt. of different brands of tires...something you will always need to change so not really an added expense when looking for lightness. The same goes for chain and sprockets, go 520 conversion when yours are worn out...a couple pounds there I think.  Rider wt. has been mentioned and I've seen that a lot of our members claim to be 200# plus, in a lot of cases I would imagine that taking 25 # off the rider would be easier than taking 25# off the bike and may reap health benefits...but really what fun is that?

I guess one could remanufacture the subframe out of alum. alloy and bolt it on in such a way as to maintain the overall original appearance and functionality of the bike but most people would probably have stopped way short of this. This is about where I get to the point of saying, ok, just leave the bike at it's functional and lightly modded wt. of 385# and go for a custom framed 300# or so street tracker with an engine off ebay...but now we're talking money again.

• Premium Member

I can see this bike dipping into the 370-75# range if one was to strip down the wiring, remove all extra DOT stuff, use CF wheels, lithium battery, Hordpower airbox, removing extra stuff like pillion pegs, tail tidy, AIS, etc...

The 3 biggest weight reduction on the bike are battery, wheels and airbox...

An aluminum subframe might help but this whole bike frame is already pretty flexible as it is...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Yamaha themselves removed some funtionality in trying to reduce weight. That was by fitting a fuel tank that would be more useful with some extra pints/litres capacity. You could take that further and only ever fill up half way. But then unfortunately filling up is not fun, even if you can find a filling station. The helpful economy of the bike does mitigate the small tank size though.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I can see this bike dipping into the 370-75# range if one was to strip down the wiring, remove all extra DOT stuff, use CF wheels, lithium battery, Hordpower airbox, removing extra stuff like pillion pegs, tail tidy, AIS, etc...

The 3 biggest weight reduction on the bike are battery, wheels and airbox...

An aluminum subframe might help but this whole bike frame is already pretty flexible as it is...

Is it flexible?  How do you know this?  The engine is a stressed member, so the bike is stiffer than some might think.

Aluminum is lighter, but also weaker, so can only be used in certain applications when replacing steel parts....  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

drll holes everywhere tires, rims, frame, gas yank, seat handle bars man the bike will Woo Hoo to

Better yet drop the engine in a trike slider for adults

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

45 minutes ago, blackout said:

Is it flexible?  How do you know this?  The engine is a stressed member, so the bike is stiffer than some might think.

Aluminum is lighter, but also weaker, so can only be used in certain applications when replacing steel parts....  

Name any bike, for any purpose, built by any manufacturer, from any era and using any technology...and someone is still gonna call the frames " flexy" or "flimsy". Every. Single.Time. lol

9 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Name any bike, for any purpose, built by any manufacturer, from any era and using any technology...and someone is still gonna call the frames " flexy" or "flimsy". Every. Single.Time. lol

Not if you use good old OAK

Wood.jpg

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Not to mention, some flex is good when you are leaned over at 45 degrees and your suspension can no longer do it's job as well.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

If you want to maintain the OEM looks and functionality then you won't be able to maximize wt. reduction. Exhaust, air box, tail tidy, lithium battery, 520 chain conversion, alloy handlebars, lt. wt. mirrors, small blinkers, some CF replacement parts (not real cost effective), and titanium spindles and/or at least majority of bolts (a lot of wt. in hardware), what's left? Really not much if you don't want to start changing the visual and functionality of the stocker. Yeah I guess 375# would be about it without going to extremes. 

I used to get obsessive over losing weight from a previous track bike I owbed, noting the weight of all standard and modified components in a spreadsheet. Maybe we should start a list for the 07.

There are some ways to lose significant weight (exhaust, carbon wheels, Li battery, remove tail hanger, pillion pegs, cosmetic panels etc). Then it gets significantly more expensive for smaller weight losses (Ti bolts etc) - at this point it's easier for the rider to lose weight...

p.s. Ohlins basic shock is 300g lighter than OEM 07 shock. I did say I was obsessive...

• Premium Member

nobody mentioned an anti-gravity generator which will result in a lighter bike on the scales 😂

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Flex

You do realize that this is engineered into the bike rigth?

6 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Flex

You do realize that this is engineered into the bike rigth?

can we unbolt it to reduce weight???

3 minutes ago, patrolus said:

can we unbolt it to reduce weight???

Add anothe Flex Shim, but be carful as you need to know the tinsil stregnth of the flex shim

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

Add anothe Flex Shim, but be carful as you need to know the tinsil stregnth of the flex shim

Or one could use some axle adapters and throw some lighter clown tires on the bike.

clown tires.jpg

Beemer

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Or one could use some axle adapters and throw some lighter clown tires on the bike.

clown tires.jpg

Oooh! I know! I know! Then fill the tires with Helium!!!  or hydrogen if you're feeling brave. 😁

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

23 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Oooh! I know! I know! Then fill the tires with Helium!!!  or hydrogen if you're feeling brave. 😁

Nitrous / Accetilin mix, NO WAY would I do Hydrogen are you crazy man

Archived