The MT-07 Forum

Something everyone should consider..

Cruizin

Unless you weigh 170 lbs, I suggest that you dial your suspensions in first before any other mods. Before exhaust, before seat, before anything.

Change the front weak springs to match your weight. Add heavier fork oil. Then, have a buddy help you set the sag on your bike, dial it in.

Suspension is the most important mod. It will save your arse in the corners and suspension will make you faster than any other mod available to man. Ya can't go racing thru the twisties on a pogo stick.

Remember, to get the FZ-09 and the FZ-07 to market at such a low price, Yamaha skimped on the suspensions quite a bit. Save some cash, maybe even add new cartridges to the front forks and remember to have someone help you set your sag. You will feel the difference because it is like night and day. It will feel like a whole different bike.

I'm new to bikes, where does one find stiffer fork springs for a bike that is brand new to the market? Or are they not brand specific and instead sized by diameter and stiffness?

- Alex

Guest montana07

I've read suspension upgrades are essential with the fz-09, especially if you are over 170lbs. But from what I hear the fz-07 suspension is quite good, or at least adequate. I'm sure an upgrade is a good idea if you're really going to attack the corners or if you're a big guy, but can any one comment that has time riding the 07? I'm hoping at 170lbs a suspension upgrade won't be required, or at least not immediately.

Guest brickst3r

I'm sure you'll be fine even at 200 pounds i don't think it's a must change. It would be a good performance upgrade if you were on the heavy side. I've seen 250+ pound dudes on 250cc bikes and it looked fine but a little weird is all. If your suspension doesn't slam down from your weight then you should be good with stock.

Is this an easy adjustment on the fz07? Is there even an adjustment for it? I'm at 190 lbs and adjusting the spring preload up a couple notches made it feel less squishy.

Is that the same thing as this video?

Ok here is a video that show's how to set sag on any bike. You need a buddy to help measure while you sit on the bike. Maybe even take it to a bike shop and have them help you.

FYI, I am Cruizin's son. If you knew his MX history you would be surprised. He is way too humble.

Every bike dealer should do this for new riders. It is that important. If you cannot get sag/Preload right, then you need to upgrade your springs.

Proper sag settings is the "sweet spot" from where all your other settings are derived from. It is impossible to get good sag numbers with the wrong spring on your bike.

Too much sag (weak springs for the weight of the rider) and the suspension bottoms out.

Too little sag will not allow the suspension to extend into a dip or hole in the road which is a bad thing if you are leaned over.

Just remember this one tidbit.

Suspension on the motorcycle is not there for the comfort of the rider, it is there to constantly and consistently keep that tire in contact with the road surface under all conditions. Failing to properly set sag on your bike always results in you not getting maximum traction between your tires and the road. Does that sound like an elective procedure?

Trying to explain what riding on good suspension is like trying to explain sex to a 15 year old virgin. Some things just have to be experienced to be believed. A lightweight bike like the FZ-07 with properly set up springs and then preload adjustments and sag settings will be tough as hell to beat in the corners and also be very safe and planted in those corners.

The issue with this new bike is that I'm not sure if anyone has aftermarket springs available yet. So, if you weigh over 180 lbs, take it easy for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm new to the street/sport bike world. I am coming from the cruiser world were its all comfort, not sport.

If I am reading correctly fz07 sag numbers can not be changed at this time? Or is the rear changeable just not the front? If it is possible, can someone do a video on how to do it specifically on the fz07?

Oh and its my first post, be gentle. I should have my bike by the end of the week (pitting two dealers against each other for the best deal).

I'm gonna wait and let Traxxion answer these questions, or maybe for another suspension expert to take a try. But yes, you can set your sag on the FZ-07. If ya run out of adjustments before hitting your SAG, time to get another spring. And, if ya go up more than two spring sizes, you also need to revalve. the rest, I'll wait for one of the experts to chime in.

missourifz07

Thanks for the advice. I will be getting this done or doing it myself. Great tweaks for added safety and performance and on top of that it is free or at least inexpensive at most.

I adjusted the rear spring now I would like to know what a 200lbs. rider pressure in the tires should be. ive hear 33psi in front and 36psi in rear?

missourifz07

I adjusted the my rear spring from the factory pre-set of 3 and moved it to the 6 position. I could tell a noticeable difference. It seems to hug the corners and be more stable. Bumpy roads are also more noticeable, who cares, I don't want to be on those roads anyway. I have yet to measure my sag as I have not had anyone to help me measure yet. 190lbs.

• Premium Member
I adjusted the rear spring now I would like to know what a 200lbs. rider pressure in the tires should be. ive hear 33psi in front and 36psi in rear?
What setting did you adjust it too?

olderthandirt

Front end sag on a FZ-07 IS NON ADJUSTABLE. All you can do is MEASURE the static sag and the laden sag to know if the spring is correct or not, for your weight. The front spring is a hair stiff for me at 165 pounds with gear. The rear sag has spring preload only.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

Im a smaller rider

Anyone in the 145-155lb range set their sag?

I always have to fiddle with my bikes because they are a little too stiff from the factory due to them being setup for heavier riders.
Like the other person posted, i think us lighter riders make out a bit better on suspensions as the stock ones can handle our weight.

You tall people have so many issues
:)

I had to put mine to the max with my big ass im 200lbs 5'-11" plus boots jacket and helmet. I used a wall to balance myself and my son measured for me.
I have my tire pressure set to 33 front / 36 rear could anyone let me know if this is correct, I went by the manual.
to see how much sag you have you measure the distance from the center axel to the bottem of the F on the fender were the fz-07 stick is. now hold the bike up and take all the slack out of the suspension now measure it. next you measure ithe distance with you on the bike use a wall to balance yourself and measure the distance again to the bottom of the F again. the difference between the two measurements should be 33mm to 35mm. hope this help you all out works great for me .

Im a smaller rider 
Anyone in the 145-155lb range set their sag?

I always have to fiddle with my bikes because they are a little too stiff from the factory due to them being setup for heavier riders.
Like the other person posted, i think us lighter riders make out a bit better on suspensions as the stock ones can handle our weight.

You tall people have so many issues
:)
+1 - I'm a small guy, 140ish pounds. Would like to make sure my suspension is set up correctly. 

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
crazycracka501

I'm at 150 lbs like ryan and lusiphur. Would like insight on sag as well. From what I've gathered, it sounds like the front is set up properly for us middle weight guys? Is this correct?  Also, I did set the preload at rear to max.  Even at my weight this was necessary.  Made a world of difference, but still feel as if the suspension fights itself in corners when I hit even the slightest bump.  Is that just my lack of riding experience or adjustment required?

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I am a 230 lbs rider you guys think there is any hope for me ?:'( .The only change I did was turn up one setting on rear shock .I guess I should start loosing some weight  ???. Maybe that's why my avg mpg is 46, never seen better  :D.

You could send your forks to Traxxion dynamics this winter and have them install heavier springs calculated for your weight. That's what I'm doing this winter, 250 lbs.

I am a 230 lbs rider you guys think there is any hope for me ?:'( .The only change I did was turn up one setting on rear shock .I guess I should start loosing some weight  ???. Maybe that's why my avg mpg is 46, never seen better  :D.

Archived