The MT-07 Forum

They don't make them like this...

Spitfire

Hi all.

Owned my Fizz7 for a year now as an all around tourer. If you only knew Some of the places I have been.... Has anyone thrown on the 150/70 Shinko 705s on the back? They are $20 cheaper than the 180s

IMG_20180216_133459_1-2080x1560.jpg

Edited by Spitfire
Added info
  • Like 2

Not on an FZ 07, but I run 705's on my KLR and really like them.  Good on the highway, wet or dry, decent on gravel and dirt, not so much in mud.  Shinko bought Yokohama's motorcycle tire equipment back in the late 90's.  Not sure how much R&D they are able to do, but the Shinkos I've used have been good tires.  I was thinking about getting 005's for the FZ 07, they look like a decent tire, but wanted the best wet/dry/mileage tire I could afford, so I wound up getting Metzeler Road Tec 01's.

If you do get stuck, that Patton will probably be able to pull you out.

• Thanks 1

You are having a lend aren't you.

The 07 rear rim is the width of the Serenghetti. It is too bike to fit most 160/60's ( which would be my preferred size if it would fit) , let alone a 150/70. Even if you get it inflated it will be so deformed in the centre of the tread and sidewall edged there will be some not very nice loads on the rubber in those areas. As far as I can see 170/60 is as small as would fit on the rear rim without any untoward consequences.

BTW is that a Bulldog behind you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

15 minutes ago, gregjet said:

You are having a lend aren't you.

The 07 rear rim is the width of the Serenghetti. It is too bike to fit most 160/60's ( which would be my preferred size if it would fit) , let alone a 150/70. Even if you get it inflated it will be so deformed in the centre of the tread and sidewall edged there will be some not very nice loads on the rubber in those areas. As far as I can see 170/60 is as small as would fit on the rear rim without any untoward consequences.

BTW is that a Bulldog behind you?

Thx for the info. Made a quick decision on price and ordered the 150 and now realizing should have went with the 180s. It's a Sherman tank as per the plaque.

Edited by Spitfire
Added info

3 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Has anyone thrown on the 150/70 Shinko 705s on the back?

On the forum's own, Tiffani (zombiphone), has ridden 60,000+ miles on the Shinko 705's through 49 states in the US and most of Central America. She loved them. Here's a link to the first of her many blogs on the trip:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-1

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

On the forum's own, Tiffani (zombiphone), has ridden 60,000+ miles on the Shinko 705's through 49 states in the US and most of Central America. She loved them. Here's a link to the first of her many blogs on the trip:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/girl-meets-world-on-yamaha-fz-07-part-1

Yeah, read it but she never stated tire size anywhere that I could see.

• Like 1

Sorry, didn't look at the size, just the brand and model. @gregjet's right.  Nice save.

But I was right about the tank.  It's an M60 Patton tank in Bouse, AZ.  Bulldogs have 5 roadwheels and the turret's a bit different.  The Sherman looks way different.  (I wasn't a tanker, I was in an Attack Helicopter unit (Cobras - old school).  It's kind of handy for a tank killer unit to know a little about telling the difference. (I had to look it up to be sure, it's been awhile).  😉

• Like 1

Yup, it's the one in Bouse all right. Memory was never my strong point. Since it is a WWII memorial there, thought for sure it's a Sherman. Am NOT a tank expert. Lol. Thx for the clarification. Called out on a tank in a motorcycle forum. I'm chuckling. What the hell can I get away with? No comments on the bike, only the tank. Lol. Hmm, if I post that pic on a tank forum, will I get remarks on the moto? Reverse psychology.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey!  I did comment on the tire first.  I didn't do it right, but I tried.

And yes, your posts will sometimes get derailed by the more playful children here unless you keep a watch on it to steer it back on track every now and then  😈

Nice bike, btw.  I like the custom color work.

And welcome to the forum.  It's one of the best I've seen as far as helpful members, pretty much zero trolls and quite a bit of fun.

• Like 1

Thx for the info and responses. Appreciated. Had the Shinko 705s on my DRZ400sm and loved them. Didn't expect any older members here or tourers much. Not typical for the bike but glad am not the only nutter as the Brits would say.

Call it my Spitfire as the sound from the Akro exhaust is loud and throaty. Too much for my liking but came that way. Earplugs. How did u know it is the one in Bouse? Just came back from there on Friday.

5 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Hi all.

Owned my Fizz7 for a year now as an all around tourer. If you only knew Some of the places I have been.... Has anyone thrown on the 150/70 Shinko 705s on the back? They are $20 cheaper than the 180s

IMG_20180216_133459_1-2080x1560.jpg

GREAT color scheme and design. Now that's different.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

How did u know it is the one in Bouse?

I'm a Google ninja.

There's all ages here.  The FZ 07 apparently appeals to all ages.  Even us geezers. 

• Like 1

Defintely for old geezers as well as youngsters. I fell for the MT-07 as soon as it was introduced. Couple of years and I am 80, for example....

• Like 3

Just do it! 

12 hours ago, rider said:

Hey!  I did comment on the tire first.  I didn't do it right, but I tried.

And yes, your posts will sometimes get derailed by the more playful children here unless you keep a watch on it to steer it back on track every now and then  😈

Nice bike, btw.  I like the custom color work.

And welcome to the forum.  It's one of the best I've seen as far as helpful members, pretty much zero trolls and quite a bit of fun.

"steer it back on track every now and then"

Party pooping adult! 😉

• Like 1

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

"steer it back on track every now and then"

Party pooping adult! 1f609.png

I didn't say I wasn't one of the playful children, I was just warning him.  Makes it more challenging that way.

So don't call me an adult.  Take it back, doodoo head. 😁

Edited by rider
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

I wonder if @Spitfire stopped by the Sherman to see if he/she could figure out how to mount the tank on his/her handlebars to deal with cagers. 😄

Tracks? We don't need no stinkin' tracks!

But just so this isn't totally off topic, I don't know if Shinko has kept up the quality of the  Yokohama branded tires of yore, but I always liked Yokohama's back in the day. 

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Ok class, to keep everyone focused and out of mischievous ways, we are going to play a game for your viewing and entertainment pleasure, er, I mean education.

So let's play spot the crazy cheapo mod!

IMG_20180220_113707-2340x3120.jpg

Name all of the mods and guess the correct cost. Winners will get a trophy, boasting rights and be allowed to puff up their chest in public. Not to mention the huge self esteem boost.

And no more tank photos, only thanks from now on. Damn tanker nutters are everywhere.  😉

Edited by Spitfire

• Premium Member

You mean other than the USD$5 radiator grill?

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

6 hours ago, DewMan said:

You mean other than the USD$5 radiator grill?

I used the deluxe aluminum grill from Home Depot. That cost me $12.50 with the galvanized bar. Lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rider said:

Are those highway pegs?  I don't think I've ever seen those on the FZ 07.

Well technically they are bmx trick pegs but yes I do use them for stretching legs and frame sliders.