The MT-07 Forum

TWF Racing Yamaha FZ07

scratchpad

You run T hill? as well as instruct?

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, scratchpad said:

Been racing this bike 2 years after racing SV650's for several years. Wow! its alot of fun. 

IMG_3087.JPG

I like how you did your steering damper!  And the yellow looks awesome!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

29 minutes ago, r1limited said:

You run T hill? as well as instruct?

I do race at Thill, sometimes do trackdays there but not often. I do not instruct.

4 minutes ago, blackout said:

I like how you did your steering damper!  And the yellow looks awesome!

Zoran did that. He actually mounted a plate that locates the ECU right below it and one end of the damper is mounted there as well. 

Thanks 

7 hours ago, pattonme said:

Zoran is a class act. Is there a publish price on a 'kit' racer?

Absolutely. You would have to ask him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as you raced both I would be very interested in your thoughts in the differecnces between the SV and the 07 on the track.

Anyone who has raced an ER6/ninja650 and an 07, as well, would be interesting to hear from.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

18 hours ago, gregjet said:

Seeing as you raced both I would be very interested in your thoughts in the differecnces between the SV and the 07 on the track.

Anyone who has raced an ER6/ninja650 and an 07, as well, would be interesting to hear from.

Engine performance is similar. Also, doesnt take much to get another 15-20 HP from stock and keeping it reliable, like an SV. FZ07 has more torque and very linear. To me it squirts off the corners ALOT better than an SV. I like the ergos alot more. The bike feels very light, tall, narrow and long. It does everything i ask of it, with ease. The very first time at the track with it and i was hooked. 100X more WOW factor for me. I raced it 2 years in Production form, zero motor modifications. 

Couple things: IMO

OEM brakes and pads are awesome. Not once did my brakes fade and i just now put Galfer pads in after 2 years. OEM pads had over 30% left. Anything more is too much brakes. Only thing we put on were Galfer lines. No need for front end change, high dollar fancy MC's or high dollar pads. 

OEM front end with TWF (Zoran) internals work very very good. We will change the internals to aftermarket ONLY to meet Motoamerica rules of homoligation approved parts vendors, if we decide to race.

Thanks for that. Pretty much as I expected. I know the SV liked long high speed limit corners which the 07 doesn't so much but was interested in the rest.

Bendix make a carbon/metal racing pad to fit the SV which is the best pad I ever used ( so much power and so much feedback when they are glazed in properly . Useless on the street though) but when I last looked they hadn't yet made them to fit the 07. If they do they are worth a try.

I am surprised it has noticeably more torque . I would have thought they would be a little less torque for the 07, but the SV weighs much more so it appears so.

How have you approached the stock front end vagueness?

My FZ07 has no issues with high speed corners, Riverside @ Buttonwillow Raceway for a reference. I always liked the OEM gsxr pads on my SV's as well. The FZ07 OEM pads are a progressive smooth feel which is my personal preference. Tried Vesrahs on the SV's and they had way too much bite and brakes for these little girly bikes.

I havnt experienced any vagueness on the front end. My suspension is set up well. 

4 hours ago, gregjet said:

I am surprised it has noticeably more torque . I would have thought they would be a little less torque for the 07, but the SV weighs much more so it appears so.

Torque is not more as in numbers, just more at lower rpm's and flat across. It is usual characteristic of parallel twin engine, more lower end less top end. Kawi is very similar to FZ.

I raced an er6n ( prod) , but haven't had the 07 on a track and not likely to ba able to either so I can't compare myself. The Kwaka always felt top heavy to me but otherwise FUN. I raced an sv engined Cagiva raptor but not really directly comparable to a stock SV( ducati frame, Marzocchi forks, Brembos Magnetti marelli ecu,etc) but it felt extremely well planted especially all through the corner. The 07 feels vague to me even setup ( stock tyres though)in mid corner and exit on the street ( Nitron shock and pattonme's cartridge guts). Way better than OEM, but still doesn't feel planted to me and wants to run wide or at least feels like it wants to.

The pic looks like you have proper clipons? That would get a bit more load up front if that is the case. Perfect for track, not practical on the street though.

I wish i could tell you we made a Super secret MotoGP style subframe gas tank to lower the center of gravity and make the FZ07 handle better. Thats next on the list. In all realness i dont know squat about geometry and set up. I do know its well planted, changes direction well (light and flickable), enters to apex, holds its line and exits to apex without a fight. Something i struggled with on my last SV. 

I checked the upper pictures and you indeed have proper clipons, so you naturally load the front more than all of the street bars ( including the super heavy Woodies) . It would also bring your body and the virtual CoG forward which make the bike more neutral so I thank you for that info. It confirms my suspicion about the CoG.

Not so worried so much about the tyres now and more determined to research the 07tracer swingarm for the street.

Archived