The MT-07 Forum

MPG?

phanomenal07

2015...bone stock... 65 mpg out of the first two tanks of gas. All riding was on twistie hilly roads that require lots of down and upshifts.

I don't baby it...

I just checked mine again today, I mean I am still at

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Dont care

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 6 months later...

3.7 gallons? Dang, I thought it was like 3 since I always seem to put about 2.7 gallons in it after it starts flashing. Why does it come on so early??!?

11 hours ago, turbodmac said:

3.7 gallons? Dang, I thought it was like 3 since I always seem to put about 2.7 gallons in it after it starts flashing. Why does it come on so early??!?

My guess is they have your best interest in mind, not running out of gas. If the light came on and you could only go another 2 miles there's a good chance you'd be screwed so they make it come on earlier than that to give you between 20 and 30 miles to start looking for a gas station. Some people ride way out in the sticks/outback so that would be really be beneficial to them. 

• Like 2

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

My guess is they have your best interest in mind, not running out of gas. If the light came on and you could only go another 2 miles there's a good chance you'd be screwed so they make it come on earlier than that to give you between 20 and 30 miles to start looking for a gas station. Some people ride way out in the sticks/outback so that would be really be beneficial to them. 

Yep, would have sucked pushing it out of here yesterday!😋

IMG_0045.thumb.jpg.0916da2d90b03e7f8675f4a0a83c92a2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, turbodmac said:

Yep, would have sucked pushing it out of here yesterday!😋

IMG_0045.thumb.jpg.0916da2d90b03e7f8675f4a0a83c92a2.jpg

😬  If I got stuck without gasoline in a place like that I would also want at least a gallon of drinking water on reserve.

When I lived in Austin, Tx. I saw a dirt trail off the side of the road at Lake Travis once and decided on a little adventure with my XT350. Long story short, I had an accident and couldn't start the bike (kickstart only) and I only had a little 20 0z. bottle of water with me. It was up around 100 F that day and I was sweating profusely trying to kickstart that thing, way more than what that bottle could replenish and I started feeling weak and dizzy. I got lucky and after about a half hour the bike finally fired up just after I'd used up all the water. (carbs were flooded) If I'd stayed out there longer things could've really went south for me and I was luckier that I hadn't broke a leg or anything when I'd laid the bike down. I learned my lesson. Don't ride secluded dirt trails alone.

Beemer

2 hours ago, Beemer said:

My guess is they have your best interest in mind 

In addition to their own - in this sue-happy era I could see the conversation going "let's make it a little more conservative so no one can blame us"

• Like 1

Been commuting 50 miles a day to new job last few weeks and broke a personal MPG record. Last tank averaged 60.1 mpg. I had the eco light on pretty much the whole time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RojoRacing said:

Do 2018’s have an eco light? I haven’t noticed one

LMAO! 18s have it. Youve just veen riding in such a way that it never came on haha. Its not actually a light. Just a little symbol in top right of LCD that says "eco". 

• Like 1

My speedo was way off between the factory error and a 17t front sprocket. IIRC it was about 7mph slow at 80mph. I have never checked my mileage the old fashioned way, just always went by the gauge. After correcting the speedo ( and the odometer along with it) the bike instantly started averaging an extra 1.5-2 mpg. The factory error of the speedo probably accounts for some of the difference between bike-calculated mpg and real life mpg. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2018 at 2:32 PM, RojoRacing said:

Do 2018’s have an eco light? I haven’t noticed one

Hah yeah, shows ECO above the speedo.  

Just to chip in for the thread and random readers benefit, I'm a 300lb guy, and I ride pretty hard.

I get an average of 19-21km/l or 45-50mpg pretty consistently over the 7 months/9000km I've owned it.  I can get mid 50's, but I just don't ride like that.  I tend to accelerate hard and ride fast pretty much always.  In the summer, lower mileage, and now in the winter better mileage - I'm much tamer when it's below freezing.

• Premium Member

Got the FZ-07 in February 2015,  since then put in 240.2 gallons, 12,790 miles, 53.2 mpg, all stock.

I'm old school regarding engines.  I believe the break-in process is important; however, I read an article where they took two of the same bikes and broke one in using the owner's manual recommendation and the other they rode it like they stole it and no differences in engine wear. 

if you run out of gas I have zero empathy, seriously think about that for at least 2 minutes, I will assume a logical rational thinking person would come to a very distinct conclusion as to why a motorcyclist runs out of gas.  I would give my reasons, but its the beginning of 2019 and I do not want to start tossing out my "you got butt hurt" statements this soon

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Stock 2018 cruising 65 mph I get 52 to 55 mpg on 87 e 10. This is mixed city and back roads with short burst of aggressive throttle just playing around.

First couple tanks on box stock bike were 48-50-52

then flash tune ecu from 2wdw and a Yosh pipe and I was getting 50-52 without the auto tune o2 sensor

now with the O2 sensor installed and auto tune fully online I'm getting around 43-45. 

Most of my riding is hwy at 80-85 but I deffinitly seem to have taken a hit to my mpg with the pipe and auto tune 

One thing I can't ignore is how bikes with different pipes could make a difference in mpg. One might require more fuel delivery than the other to diminish the popping on decel which would affect gas mileage. My bike performed like crap when it got too much fuel to eliminate the popping and I had to back off of that setting. (Dobeck EJK being used.) So, I wonder if the ECU settings are so different with different pipes that they could make a big difference in mpg.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Around the 50 MPG range, flashed ecu, stock pipe, tbh I don't look at the mpg on the dash anymore it's so inaccurate. I did many fill-ups before where I calculated from that. Now I just don't care,  fill it up and ride on.