The MT-07 Forum

MPG?

phanomenal07

20 hours ago, shinyribs said:

It's really not a bad idea to seek fuel mileage from a performance standpoint either. The old saying at the drag strip used to be: " fat is happy, but lean is mean". Meaning an engine running rich is safe from detonation, but giving up hp. Used to see guys "upping the jets" looking for lower ET's or trap speeds. Never could get most to understand the drawbacks of too much fuel can really slow you down. 

And from a commuter position, fuel wash is a very real thing that that cause a lot of undue wear on an engine. Especially one that sees a lot of highway. 

Not trying to be an alarmist here. I don't want to give the impression that someone is gonna eat their rings up because they're running a little rich, but it's something to consider. 

Anyone else have oil analysis' done? My first oil analysis on my FZ showed trace amounts of fuel ( and titanium?! valve retainers??...) but high enough amount that they commented on it in the report. But we both suspected it was a case of a new engine still bedding in rings. My second oil analysis showed far less fuel in the oil, after a proper break-in period. Sent off another sample to have analyzed this morning to see what things like now with the new exhaust in place. 

When i first started messing around with my EJK I added fuel to eliminate the popping. that worked but I also noticed hesitation or lag, if you will, in acceleration. i then slowly started backing off on the gas and found that the original setting (EJK recommended optimal setting) made the bike come back to life. it still has some popping but that's OK by me, better that than a slower bike and I've grown to like some popping on decel, sounds bad-ass.

Beemer

So I want to apologize, I completely failed on my mission of riding like I said I would. Started out good as I started riding but as soon as I got on some open road the throttle was just way to tempting and easy to roll on. I guess that’s why my mpg is so low 😞

• Like 1

I've changed my mind, I'm not going to buy a fuel bottle just to test my mpg. Where I ride there is a gas station every 10 miles or so and I have a habit of looking for gas when I'm down to 1 bar (1/4 tank in a car) so I have no worries about running out of gas. I'll just put some gas in the cars 2 gal. can and take it with me the day I decide to do a test.

Beemer

Grip it & Rip it

In the 1500 or so miles I’ve ridden, I’ve never been able to crack my average fuel consumption of 44-46 mpg on my stock bike. Really wanna get a yosh+flash but if I end up getting around 36 mpg I’m not gonna be stoked, mostly cause my range would be so tiny.

• 2 weeks later...
Bigturbomax

Well, i tried.....i really really tried to go through one whole tank of fuel riding soft to see wht my MPGs would be. I kinda sorta mostly made it. Shifting at 4k ALMOST every time, speeds under 60mph....hit WOT prolly 6 times in the whole tank and went 85 twice for like a mile at a time. I guess thats as chill as i can be. Anyway, the point that im digressing from is that after 137 miles with the warning flashing forever, it took 2.7 gallons to fill it. Averaging 50.74 US MPG. Just wish the stupid fuel gauge would let me use 3 dang gallons before flashing at me. Ive always figured fuel by trip meter on bikes, but the flashing warning drives me nuts!!

Edited by Bigturbomax
Typos
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

40 mpg, if i drive it like a grandma or if i BRAPPPP 40mpg.....

Akro, MWR Filter, ECU Flash, 220lbs, SoCal = Sea level, 91 gas

YMMV = Ha!

'16 FZ07

Is everyone going off the mpg reading on the gauges or calculating it based off miles ridden?  Out of habit with my truck, I reset the trip meter every fill up.  I haven't really checked to see how accurate my gauge is but I get the blinking fuel light at around 130-140 miles.  I've ridden an additional 15 miles on the fuel trip distance meter and when I filled up, only put 2.7 gallons in.  So I'm guessing there might be some variances in fuel level readings from bike to bike that could account for some of these wide differences.  

Those readings were with my '17 FZ07, Akra Ti exhaust, removed snorkel, 2WDW flash, and me being 6/2 and 210lbs.  Mostly cruising back roads with plenty of aggressive throttle usage.

Bigturbomax
9 hours ago, djfz07 said:

Is everyone going off the mpg reading on the gauges or calculating it based off miles ridden? 

I calculate based off miles traveled, sterted at the first fill up as i was curious how accurate the reading on the gauge was. This last fill up for example when i averaged almost 51 according to miles traveled, the gauge showed 49 average. So at least for me the mpg counter on the bile is 1 to 2 mpg lower than the real figure. Im ok with that as its MUCH more accurate than the mpg counter in most cars lol. Oddly tho, my warning usually starts flashing around 110 after 2.5 gallons have been used. It baffles me how the mpg couneer can be that close while the fuel level gauge is so wildy off LMOA!

Haven't done a full accurate fill up yet (she's still new, and I did a half-tank fill up because of the dealership being 40 miles one way from my home).

As of right now (totally stock, besides a irrelevant fender eliminator) gone about 64 miles since a full fill up, bike shows 59.6 MPG Average and the gas gauge is still all the way full.

njdevils1990

My current average is 54.5 US MPG, best tank was 65.2mpg and worst was 48.4mpg. The MPG indicated on the instrument cluster actually shows lower than the actual MPG.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/7/2018 at 5:19 PM, djfz07 said:

Is everyone going off the mpg reading on the gauges or calculating it based off miles ridden?  Out of habit with my truck, I reset the trip meter every fill up.  I haven't really checked to see how accurate my gauge is but I get the blinking fuel light at around 130-140 miles.  I've ridden an additional 15 miles on the fuel trip distance meter and when I filled up, only put 2.7 gallons in.  So I'm guessing there might be some variances in fuel level readings from bike to bike that could account for some of these wide differences.  

Those readings were with my '17 FZ07, Akra Ti exhaust, removed snorkel, 2WDW flash, and me being 6/2 and 210lbs.  Mostly cruising back roads with plenty of aggressive throttle usage.

My commute is 80 miles each way. I buy 2 gallons at work and 2 at home, every day. 40mpg. Simple

'16 FZ07

Bigturbomax

Well, i just took my first "road trip" on the FZ last sunday. 200 miles round trip. I cruised around 78mph the entire time, save for one short burst just above the ton. I was SHOCKED when i stopped at 146.1 mi on my trip meter and the bike took 2.6 gallons back to full!!!! So, i got 56.9 average. The cluster only said 52 when i checked it. 

njdevils1990

702149.png

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

• Premium Member
On 3/22/2018 at 5:48 PM, Bigturbomax said:

Well, i just took my first "road trip" on the FZ last sunday. 200 miles round trip. I cruised around 78mph the entire time, save for one short burst just above the ton. I was SHOCKED when i stopped at 146.1 mi on my trip meter and the bike took 2.6 gallons back to full!!!! So, i got 56.9 average. The cluster only said 52 when i checked it. 

Hmmm... 146.1 / 2.6= 56.19, anyways trying to figure the average MPG with the cluster is a cluster F**k, just like my car it's a throttle position indicator. Last weekend I did 124 miles from full, filled up with 2.1 gallons. 124 / 2.1= 59.04 mpg the cluster said 52 mpg also. I run 2wdw flash with stock pipe.

Bigturbomax
2 hours ago, fzar said:

Hmmm... 146.1 / 2.6= 56.19, anyways trying to figure the average MPG with the cluster is a cluster F**k, just like my car it's a throttle position indicator. Last weekend I did 124 miles from full, filled up with 2.1 gallons. 124 / 2.1= 59.04 mpg the cluster said 52 mpg also. I run 2wdw flash with stock pipe.

My bad. I misquoted myself lol. This is the screen shot when i did the math at the pump.

Screenshot_20180318-150156.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fzar said:

You are both doing well in regards to mpg since Yamaha claims 58 mpg for the FZ-07, this is probably a fairly accurate average after reading everyone's personal accounts. I finally mounted my phone on the bike and got a GPS ap so kind of excited to go for a longish ride to see how my gearing works out...cluster vs. GPS.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Just filled up, this time 157m /2.827gl =55.5 mpg, avg mpg on cluster read 51.4 I'm going to run a tank on the freeway and see what it comes back at, all in the name of range gauge for long distance rides at 5-10 mph above speed limit. 

With 2wdw flash, snorkel out,stock pipe , 91 Octane, 1250 ft. elevation, 5'8- 175 lbs.

Edited by fzar

• 2 weeks later...

I regularly (90% of the time if not more) get around 68-69mpg. Best was 78 and did that twice. I do ride like a bit of a grandpa most of the time but i still have a bit of fun when the time and place is right. Bike is stock apart from akra carbon and the 'yamaha sports screen' which i find is really great at deflecting wind into my face and the top of my shoulders. No tuning or ECU flash. At sea level, no real winters to speak of. Bike has done 23,000 km (about 14k miles). Im 6'5 and about 310 geared up

• 2 weeks later...
Cranapplescott
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:49 AM, djfz07 said:

I run that same set up, same year bike, but I'm more 6'0" and 220 lbs and get around the same mileage before the light starts blinking. I do ride 'spirited' every chance I get though.

Maybe there is some consistency?

Bigturbomax

3rd tank after my yoshi CARB exhaust w/ EJK and snorkel out. Averaged 51.3 US. Calculated at pump.first 2 tanks were mid forties, too much fun lol

• 2 weeks later...

Have you guys who have installed a windscreen gotten better gas mileage with the screen than when it was a naked bike?

Just wondering because sometimes a windscreen smooths the airflow over the bike and you so the combination is more aero.. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Advmgn said:

Have you guys who have installed a windscreen gotten better gas mileage with the screen than when it was a naked bike?

Just wondering because sometimes a windscreen smooths the airflow over the bike and you so the combination is more aero.. 

nah... maybe a fraction of a MPG but nothing noticeable like 10mpg 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

6 hours ago, norcal616 said:

nah... maybe a fraction of a MPG but nothing noticeable like 10mpg 

I actually tried this and there wasnt any real difference. I think if you have the windscreen and do like a semi tuck position it might actually make a bit of a difference but you will look pretty silly