The MT-07 Forum

MPG?

phanomenal07

So ever since I got the Yoshi exhaust and ecu tune I’ve been averaging 36.5 mpg. Anyone else is this low? I used to get around 50-60 before the flash

I got 51 avg mpg over a tank of gas on a sunday cruise in 55-60 mph zones once in the 2000 miles I've owned it. Every tank I've gone through has been between 42 avg mpg and 49 avg mpg with mixed riding. For accuracy's sake I always calculate my own mpg off mileage at fill up and find my bike's mpg counter is usually within 1 mpg of what calculate at the pump. I should mention that im 195 without gear and my 2017 is stock engine wise.

Edited by Bigturbomax

We've done this before with members getting mileage like yours at one end and 60-65+ mpg at the other end...some say they really crank on it and expect it to be that low while others say their bike gets 60+ after mods etc. I've a 2015 (7K miles) that I bought with the Yoshi already installed, shortly after getting the bike I added the Hord air filter system and PCV with Hord mapping, iridium plugs and a home made quick throttle. Later I added a 520 chain/sprocket conversion but both, before and after the changes I've never seen worse then 55-58 mpg. Average every day town, freeway riding averages 62mpg and on a 650 mile trip with a mix of twisty mountain, coastal cruise and freeway I used 60 mpg as my figuring mileage for fill up and would start worrying around 160-180 miles..I never got the blinking last bar so had more to go. I did this enough times to realize that the consumption was consistent so now I always figure on the 60 mpg for all riding circumstances Originally I was doing a known (per map,not gps) mileage coastal ride followed by a fill up to the same fill point at the same gas station and pump and was indicating close to what I was calculating. My gearing is now 17 T./44T. which is about 1 tooth taller than stock 16/43 but haven't noticed any change in fuel mileage. I weigh about 155# geared up so don't take a lot of throttle to get moving but still can't help but crank it on when I can so I don't baby the bike...that's about it, oh, the PVC does use the O2 optimizer and I think I'm in eco mode up to 70 mph or so. I run the Yoshi with baffle in since Hord proved that it made no difference on his dyno...I did sync the injectors at about 8500 miles but they weren't far off and I didn't notice any real difference, maybe just a little better idle. That's all I've got.

My bike has stock ecu and air filter with a full Arrow exhaust system. I was getting around 40-42 mpg before the exhaust, now I get 50-51 mpg religiously. Arrow claimed the ecu didn't need to be touched to run their exhaust and I'm inclined to believe them.  

About 75% of my riding is mountains, 15% highway and 10% city. 

Mine's the same but I don't care because I bought my bike to get fun per gallon instead of mpg.

Edit: Actually, it's not the same, I usually average around 53 mpg. with where/how I ride and what I have as a fuel/air controller. I'm using the Dobeck EJK controller and I have it at it's original setting for best performance and mpg. When I tried other settings that gave it more fuel my popping on decal was lessened but performance lagged, it didn't accelerate as fast and it got less mpg.

I didn't like it so I went with the factory setting that made the bike very punchy/lively. More popping on decel but it's not too much. It doesn't even always do it, it's that minute. I actually like a little popping and from what I've read that's perfectly natural with any performance exhaust and that it doesn't hurt anything. So, in a sense, I do care but only about the performance, not so much the mpg. (which is nice, I can't deny)

• Like 4

Beemer

3 hours ago, Beemer said:

Mines the same but I don't care because I bought my bike to get fun per gallon instead of mpg.

That's cool but doesn't it make you wonder? When others get both...fun per gallon and mpg? The only mod difference that I've seen that seems to be consistent across the spectrum of owners has been in the ecu flash vs. PCV vs. stock...I really don't know. Maybe the guys with the flash and low mileage numbers also have more power/torque than those that have gone a different route...but I kind of doubt it. This is an interesting topic to me in that these bikes with similar mods 'should' be very close in performance numbers and mpg, so what gives?

Heck, 35 mpg are the consumption numbers for bikes with twice the horsepower of our '07's

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, markstertt said:

That's cool but doesn't it make you wonder? When others get both...fun per gallon and mpg? The only mod difference that I've seen that seems to be consistent across the spectrum of owners has been in the ecu flash vs. PCV vs. stock...I really don't know. Maybe the guys with the flash and low mileage numbers also have more power/torque than those that have gone a different route...but I kind of doubt it. This is an interesting topic to me in that these bikes with similar mods 'should' be very close in performance numbers and mpg, so what gives?

Heck, 35 mpg are the consumption numbers for bikes with twice the horsepower of our '07's

Im with you on this curiosity. I did buy my bike for fun, but also for practicality. Personally i kinda excepted the mid 40s mpg with the attitude that mid 40s is what i used to get out of my much slower katana 600 years ago(that bike had a 4.5 gallon tank tho :/). So i tell myself im still winning anyway. But deep down it has irked me that others get high 50s out of the same bike. I HATE having a freaking 130 mile range out of a gas tank. Unfortunetly there are SO many variables that wed need to plot on a spreadsheet to get to the bottom of this. I mean really just as an example-tune, fuel quality, rider weight, wind resistance (bags/windscreens), speed limits (when observed), ambient air temps, altitude, oil weight/type, tire pressures, tire type, exterior wind conditions, riders poster, riders aggressiveness or lack there of, intake mods,exhaust mods, chain conversions, sprocket changes, air density.....i could go on. 

So for what its worth, maybe try one tank with your new mods riding like a grandpa and see how its affected. Maybe you new flash is richer than it needs to be, me the decel fueling is richer than it needs to be. Or maybe youre just having a little to much fun with the new found power and fun sounds from the bike? Just some food for thought.

Edited by Bigturbomax
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

Im with you on this curiosity. I did buy my bike for fun, but also for practicality. Personally i kinda excepted the mid 40s mpg with the attitude that mid 40s is what i used to get out of my much slower katana 600 years ago(that bike had a 4.5 gallon tank tho :/). So i tell myself im still winning anyway. But deep down it has irked me that others get high 50s out of the same bike. I HATE having a freaking 130 mile range out of a gas tank. Unfortunetly there are SO many variables that wed need to plot on a spreadsheet to get to the bottom of this. I mean really just as an example-tune, fuel quality, rider weight, wind resistance (bags/windscreens), speed limits (when observed), ambient air temps, altitude, oil weight/type, tire pressures, tire type, exterior wind conditions, riders poster, riders aggressiveness or lack there of, intake mods,exhaust mods, chain conversions, sprocket changes, air density.....i could go on. 

So for what its worth, maybe try one tank with your new mods riding like a grandpa and see how its affected. Maybe you new flash is richer than it needs to be, me the decel fueling is richer than it needs to be. Or maybe youre just having a little to much fun with the new found power and fun sounds from the bike? Just some food for thought.

Yes lots of variables for sure but 20+ mpg difference is huge. I do know that my PCV doesn't add fuel at decel cut so I still have the engine braking and a lean burble and muted pop every so often but if flashing the ecu to get rid of this drops my fuel mileage than I'll stick with the engine braking etc., I do like the sound I get when closing the throttle at high rpm when coming down a hill, sounds just like a semi's jake brake.

One consideration that mitigates a lot of the variables is the consistency of fuel consumption over time and various conditions and miles...so far for me it's been consistent but I understand each owners particular circumstances may vary.

I guess the fact that phenomenal07's mileage dropped after adding the Yoshi exhaust and ecu flash is a clue, a lot of us are running the Yoshi exhaust. I don't know how much difference baffle in or out makes but I doubt it's much of a factor since it's been proven that baffle in or out makes no difference power wise, at least if you believe Hords dyno work...I do.

I've been using 87 octane Shell for my testing purposes but only because it's the closest station to home. I still need to mount a GPS to get more accurate data, I hate to quote my stats compared to others when there can be discrepancies in data but with my altered gearing my recorded mileage on an extended ride (650 miles) compared very closely to my friends BMW and compared favorably to map mileage.

Ok being that there will be great weather coming up. This week I will try to ride the bike shifting gear at 6k rpm and cruising between 4-6k with a windscreen. max speed I’ll keep below 70. Rider weight will be 190 geared up. Yoshi exhaust snorkel removed and flash tube from 2wdw. Temperature will be between 45-70 degrees. I’ll post what my mpg is at afterward

10 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

Ok being that there will be great weather coming up. This week I will try to ride the bike shifting gear at 6k rpm and cruising between 4-6k with a windscreen. max speed I’ll keep below 70. Rider weight will be 190 geared up. Yoshi exhaust snorkel removed and flash tube from 2wdw. Temperature will be between 45-70 degrees. I’ll post what my mpg is at afterward

Great weather this week in PA, really? Good deal, baffle in or out? I gave up trying to see that tach graphic display, figure I'll end up in the back of a truck or something. Let us know actual conditions and mileage etc. and perhaps I'll try to duplicate your ride for comparison. I'll be at sea level but should have similar temps.

@markstertt Lol guess I should clarify. Itll be 50-70 degrees Tuesday and Wednesday. It’ll be terrible the rest of the week. But I don’t think I’ll have any issues running through a few tanks in two days. It’ll be baffle out. Philly is also at sea level 

• Global Moderator

Last year I averaged 52.92 mpg with 36 fill-ups.  I have the 2WDW flash with a stock exhaust and snorkel removed.  I just ride for fun, very little highway and am at usually at sea level.  

I commute with mine almost everyday 80-90 mph I avg 40. if I drive slower like 70ish or more town driving I will avg 50-55

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, markstertt said:

When we talk about it I wonder but still, I'm happy just to be able to ride. I did without a bike for a long stretch and I got the one I could afford the one I really wanted. I don't often get what I want. I'm thinking that people being heavier than others can affect mpg. Where they ride, how they ride, do they roll on the throttle a lot or do they get into it hard a lot? Do they ride their brakes? Do they have a windscreen to deflect air or do they catch it like a parachute? Did they change the gearing, the foot pegs? Maybe combinations of the things I mentioned. I'm sure there are other things to consider that I didn't think of.

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

When we talk about it I wonder but still, I'm happy just to be able to ride. I did without a bike for a long stretch and I got the one I could afford the one I really wanted. I don't often get what I want. I'm thinking that people being heavier than others can affect mpg. Where they ride, how they ride, do they roll on the throttle a lot or do they get into it hard a lot? Do they ride their brakes? Do they have a windscreen to deflect air or do they catch it like a parachute? Did they change the gearing, the foot pegs? Maybe combinations of the things I mentioned. I'm sure there are other things to consider that I didn't think of.

Beemer I'm with you...not bashing your bike, it's great that you got back into riding and obviously I like your choice of the FZ-07, I really like our parallel twin engine...not to big not to small, I still have my old Triumph 650/750 twins and I consider the little Yamaha engine a modern incarnation of where the original Triumphs could have gone with continued evolution. At the horsepower our -07's make the old Triumphs are short lived and not that fun vibration wise. 70 hp out of an old Triumph made for a very short lived engine that would go through crankshafts like crazy. Our -07 engine in a dirt tracker back in the 60's-70's would have been unbeatable.

And yes there are a lot of variables that determine mpg and performance between similar bikes of one model. In the old days before CNC machining and modern casting methods and design technology, there could be a notable difference in performance between 2 machines off the same assembly line but nowadays you don't expect to see that. And with a lot of us having very similar mods and what are mostly bolt on mods, you'd expect them to be very close in performance hence the curiosity. I will admit that accelerating a 200# rider vs. my 150#'s (at the same rate) will take more throttle and the old rule of thumb was that each 10# lighter equated to about 1 extra h.p., not so important at steady state cruise but then wind resistance/drag etc. come into play. But with all the external variables it still seems to be a larger than expected fuel mileage difference  considering how closely the bikes are configured...at least to me.

I'm leaning towards differences in ECU flash vs. certain PCV maps, everything else being equal...but who knows...I will step back a little and say that how a 'little' bike is ridden, throttle wise, can make a pretty good difference in mileage per gallon. I will also add that ANY bike is better than no bike.

• Like 2

markstertt

Now you really do have me wondering just what kind of mileage I'm truly getting. I'm going to buy a fuel bottle and do a test just to see. Wouldn't hurt to have extra fuel on hand for road trips anyway. I'll post my results after the test. I bet I'm not averaging over 45 mpg.

• Like 1

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

markstertt

Now you really do have me wondering just what kind of mileage I'm truly getting. I'm going to buy a fuel bottle and do a test just to see. Wouldn't hurt to have extra fuel on hand for road trips anyway. I'll post my results after the test. I bet I'm not averaging over 45 mpg.

It's really not a bad idea to seek fuel mileage from a performance standpoint either. The old saying at the drag strip used to be: " fat is happy, but lean is mean". Meaning an engine running rich is safe from detonation, but giving up hp. Used to see guys "upping the jets" looking for lower ET's or trap speeds. Never could get most to understand the drawbacks of too much fuel can really slow you down. 

And from a commuter position, fuel wash is a very real thing that that cause a lot of undue wear on an engine. Especially one that sees a lot of highway. 

Not trying to be an alarmist here. I don't want to give the impression that someone is gonna eat their rings up because they're running a little rich, but it's something to consider. 

Anyone else have oil analysis' done? My first oil analysis on my FZ showed trace amounts of fuel ( and titanium?! valve retainers??...) but high enough amount that they commented on it in the report. But we both suspected it was a case of a new engine still bedding in rings. My second oil analysis showed far less fuel in the oil, after a proper break-in period. Sent off another sample to have analyzed this morning to see what things like now with the new exhaust in place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

It's really not a bad idea to seek fuel mileage from a performance standpoint either. The old saying at the drag strip used to be: " fat is happy, but lean is mean". Meaning an engine running rich is safe from detonation, but giving up hp. Used to see guys "upping the jets" looking for lower ET's or trap speeds. Never could get most to understand the drawbacks of too much fuel can really slow you down. 

And from a commuter position, fuel wash is a very real thing that that cause a lot of undue wear on an engine. Especially one that sees a lot of highway. 

Not trying to be an alarmist here. I don't want to give the impression that someone is gonna eat their rings up because they're running a little rich, but it's something to consider. 

Anyone else have oil analysis' done? My first oil analysis on my FZ showed trace amounts of fuel ( and titanium?! valve retainers??...) but high enough amount that they commented on it in the report. But we both suspected it was a case of a new engine still bedding in rings. My second oil analysis showed far less fuel in the oil, after a proper break-in period. Sent off another sample to have analyzed this morning to see what things like now with the new exhaust in place. 

Would the 2wdw flash be consider rich? Asking because I do alhave t of highway riding 

1 hour ago, phanomenal07 said:

Would the 2wdw flash be consider rich? Asking because I do alhave t of highway riding 

Sorry man, I really don't know. I'm completely lost when it comes to these flashes, so I follow these threads to learn. 

I average round
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Dont care

• Like 5

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

3 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Last thing you need to worry about IMHO, nikasil or silicon carbide  type bores and good oil, this thing will run for a lot longer than most of us will own them. Good oil and frequent changes are important on an engine with shared oil for engine, tranny and primary...any good oil changed often is better than the best left to long...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beemer said:

markstertt

It's just nice to know that with 'X' amount of fuel I can get this far, then I know when I need to start looking for a gas station...I once had to run at about 30 mph for many miles across Nevada when a gas station I had planned on wasn't open...man that's a big empty state.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

markstertt is right, and I need to reword my answer to you. I'm sure the 2WDW tune is safe. If someone would diy their own tune that might be something else. Very poor wording on my part. 

35 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

You animal:

animal.gif.5ba90d5c0be63530c778cba589b4ac1d.gif 

LOL, that was my nickname with my crew groing up and it came from that guy.  Long story

• Haha 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria