The MT-07 Forum

oil spills on road

phanomenal07

i was watching the nurburring oil spill video on youtube and a bunch of motorcycle lowside becasue of it which lead me to think what should i do if i ran over oil on my bike? what shouldnt i do as well? i feel like hitting the break would be bad.

Depends on the speed, lean angle, tyres, amount of oil and the size of the spill. I went down on a patch of oil this fall because I made the quick turn input while the front tyre sat right in the middle of the spill.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

i was watching the nurburring oil spill video on youtube and a bunch of motorcycle lowside becasue of it which lead me to think what should i do if i ran over oil on my bike? what shouldnt i do as well? i feel like hitting the break would be bad.

IMO this is why we wear all the gear all the time... sometimes you just can't  prevent an accident.

For me, the best I  can do is let the bike try to work though it on it's own without trying to add any additional inputs that will most likely unsettle things further.  But that's just my very non-professional opinion. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

If I were leaning in a curve and able to stand the bike up enough to still make the turn I would do that and roll off the throttle a little and coast after the bike stood up some and cruise it through the rest of the curve.

If going straight and ran through some heavy stuff that I thought would coat my tire in one spot or all over I would pull over the first place available and use something to wipe as much of that oil off the tire as I could and take it to a car wash for a quick, soapy, de-greasing tire bath. Then I would go home and reward myself with some good, hardy, kitchen table seks. 😉 hee-hee!

Beemer

Best thing and a prayer

1: Stand the bike up emmidiatly

2: No brakes whatso ever

3: No throttle what so ever

4: Steady as you can be in a straight line

5: Steady throttle

the prayer part is if and when the shet happens if you are lucky you will glide through but maintain the same steps until you can get past it, slowly slow down to a stop and clean

The reality is, 99.9999% of the time, your going for one hella ride and hope it aint bad

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 3 weeks later...

After reading the OP scenario again I've changed my mind. If you are going into a turn and you are leaning and then hit an oil spot like what was described then all you can do is brace for impact (if there's even time to do that) because you will go down too fast to recover and be sure to push the bike away from you after you hit the ground. You don't want it flipping up in the air and landing on you. Oh, and cross your fingers.

Beemer

Just remembered that a few years ago, there were several fatal accidents in Germany due to some morons deliberately pouring oil or diesel on the road, clearly targeting motorcyclists 👿

Archived