The MT-07 Forum

Lets talk about handlebars...

Bigturbomax

Who all is running drag bars? Is anybody running clubmans? Im not surr just how low i wanna go, but i do know renthal ultra lows wont ve enough drop for me. Not really wanting clip ons. Nothing against them, but the aestetic isnt something that im after and i know the same riding posture can be had for a less cash with different bars. So if anyone riding with drag bars or clumans would like to share their thoughts on em, id love to here it. Pictures would be awesome too if ya got em. I like neutral posture as much as the next guy, but it makes freeway riding terrible for me. Partially because of windblast, but also because when the wind pulls your chest back it shifts your weight rearward. Ive observed that this causes a real floaty front tire. Makes the bike feel less planted, which makes me hate the freeway.

All I will add is EMGO bars are reasonablly priced, and sturdy. Dont pay 200 when you can pay 75.  For what it is worth, not what you are asking, but comfortable and give a better feel for the bike itself for me a 6'1" man child

Bars: EMGO Part # 23-125 Width = 33" Rise = 3.75" Pullback = 4.25" Center = 4.75", 7/8s

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I'm running Amazon Drag bars.

They're pretty great for more spirited riding, my wrists get sore on longer rides though due to the lack of sweep - that's a personal thing and varies greatly from person to person though. The drag bars are low enough that I'm considering changing my rear-sets now. The stock ones are a bit awkward.

the floaty front tire is less from your handlebars and more from the shet front & rear suspension.

3 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Who all is running drag bars? Is anybody running clubmans? Im not surr just how low i wanna go, but i do know renthal ultra lows wont ve enough drop for me. Not really wanting clip ons. Nothing against them, but the aestetic isnt something that im after and i know the same riding posture can be had for a less cash with different bars. So if anyone riding with drag bars or clumans would like to share their thoughts on em, id love to here it. Pictures would be awesome too if ya got em. I like neutral posture as much as the next guy, but it makes freeway riding terrible for me. Partially because of windblast, but also because when the wind pulls your chest back it shifts your weight rearward. Ive observed that this causes a real floaty front tire. Makes the bike feel less planted, which makes me hate the freeway.

Before you go putting extra weight on your wrists and possibly making your ride unbearable because of wrist pain why not just put a decent windscreen on your bike? I ride at 80 with my Ermax and although I feel some wind it isn't so strong it's pushing me off the bike and it saves your chest from bouncing stones.

Beemer

im not super concerned about wrist pressure. i used to ride a gsxr 600 and katana 600 for HOURS. the forward lean isnt too big of a deal for me really. clubmans may be a bit extreme, but i think drag bars my be just right.

Neutral position static is not neutral position at speed. Wind pressure, even on just your helmet, makes the neutral considerably forward at speed.

BTW there are available Aluminium drag bars which absorb considerably more vibration that steel ones. I even tried the Woodcrafts.

I have gone back to Renthal ultra lows, but I haven't got and decent twisties for over a hundred km and I tend to tour the bike now. The ultralows will get you down and forward a bit. They are brilliant vibe absorbers as well.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

suspension upgrade will correct the floaty front end feeling and really help with wind blast when passing semis

edit: use them core muscles to help keep the bike under your control...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I'm using the TC bros drag bars. they are $20 bucks and I like them quite a bit. I keep an extra set around for track days in case I lowside again.. I also got a good deal on a set of used suburban machinery M1 bars (usually around 200 bucks, got them for 75) which I'm gonna try out this track season.

23 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

im currently running the givi windscreen. 

Not all windscreens are created equal. I forget now who said it but recently he said that he wasn't happy with his Give, that it didn't block wind very well and that the Ermax he replaced it with did. He said it blocked a lot more. Just saying, GL!

Beemer

• 3 weeks later...
Bigturbomax

Well, just a little update for what its worth...i still think i need some suspension work and possibly the renthal ultra lows...but i updated my helmet and have been shocked to find how much my old helmet was negatively affecting my ride at higher speeds. I still have my old HJC symax 2 as a back up but am now riding with a new HJC FG17. The FG17 is worlds more aerodynamic. Combined with the givi the effect of the air flow has been dramatically reduced. I was surprised how much of my discomfort was coming from my head being pulled back. So while the suspension still causes the bike to be floaty, its seems like the front end is being unweighed less and is more stable. The transition from faired to naked bike has been an odd one for me. 

• Global Moderator
23 minutes ago, br4nd0n said:

Anyone know the width of the clamping area for the handlebars?

If you mean the distance from the outboard of each clamp then it is just over four inches.  If you mean something else then it is not.  

• 4 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 8:06 AM, r1limited said:

All I will add is EMGO bars are reasonablly priced, and sturdy. Dont pay 200 when you can pay 75.  For what it is worth, not what you are asking, but comfortable and give a better feel for the bike itself for me a 6'1" man child

Bars: EMGO Part # 23-125 Width = 33" Rise = 3.75" Pullback = 4.25" Center = 4.75", 7/8s

Do you know the full part # - I find several 23-125 and cannot find the exact specs of the one you mention. Also, what color was it, hopefully black? Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I want lower and further forward. What fits? I'm leery of bar mods since the stock bars almost touch the tank as-is, and I consider stock way to high and back. Considering lowering the front end an inch too. 

I had forgotten to update this just noticed a new query on the thread. I did and up buying the renthal road ultra low bars in black sometime ago. Prolly put 1000 miles in with them. Im overall very pleased with the desicion. @Old Man, the renthal ultra low bars are about an inch further forward and an inch lower. May be just what youre looking for. The powder coat black looks good on a blue bike with black frame. They are also a touch wider, which i like but you may wanna trim them down a bit. Id recommend them. Try a search on the forum and youll find some reviews. It seems quite a few of us have been very happy with the purchase of the rental bars. Be advised however that they are not specific to this bike. Theyre universal aluminum, 7/8 bars. So you will have to drill holes to mount your controls and stock bar ends WILL NOT fit. So budget for new bar ends too. All told i spent i think $90 for the new bars and new ends. Not a hage job, but just wanted you to know theyre not direct bolt on. Ill try to post some pictures of my fuel tank clearance later. 

I've been looking since my post.  I think I'll go with Woodcraft clip-ons. Just have to figure 'up or down',  and  1" rise or 1.5" rise. 

If you've seen my bike pics you know what position I like by my old bike. Like the lean and position I had on my 2006 Honda Interceptor. To me that was comfy. Feels like I sit on this bike and not 'in'.  

Also think that when I get new tires (very soon,  I hate BattlAx),  I'm going to go thinner front and back and improve handling. Have to see what's out there but I do like Pirelli Angel GT or Road Attacks. Had great luck with those. 

Looking to see if anyone knows if you have a centerstand will an aftermarket exhaust fit or hit? 

• Global Moderator

@Old Man, which exhaust are you asking about?  There are guys here with aftermarket exhausts and center stands.  Some fit and some do not.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

Also think that when I get new tires (very soon,  I hate BattlAx),  I'm going to go thinner front and back and improve handling. Have to see what's out there but I do like Pirelli Angel GT or Road Attacks. Had great luck with those. 

Try a 170 rear and perhaps a 120/60 if you want to change geometry a bit.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived