The MT-07 Forum

Bikers Budget

biker2014

Just trying to plan a little ahead in terms of finances so I can be realistic about getting the bike and looking after it.

Excluding gas, how much per month do you guys usually put into your biking?

Insurance
Clothing
Maintenance
Security

etc?

Any guidance appreciated!

Cheers

When I decided to get a street bike after 18 years of mostly dirtbiking, I took six months and started buying gear. I bought used gear on motorcycle forums and also on Ebay. I bought a new helmet,barely used boots, barely used jacket and pants. I keep buying gear. Summer protective gear, Winter protective gear. But before I even got the bike I had about $1,000 in gear for a used price of about $600.

I pay $37 per month for full coverage insurance. I pay about $20 a week for gas, could be less if I didn't ride so fast. I also ride an FZ-09, which gets worse MPG than the FZ-07.

I also put $80 per month into my "Upgrades" jar for future upgrades and the suspension work that I will be getting this winter.

Also, you need rear stand, $140 for a good Pitbull stand.

Tools cost money but can be bought cheap at pawnshops.

But most important for you would be goo d quality riding gear. Avoid Cycle Gear, their stuff mostly sucks.

also, I would drop $100 and take a good Motorcycle Skills course, many have their own bikes for you to use.

First couple months are usually more than the rest because you're spending money and all the parts to customize it. After the newness wears off your monthly output also drops off.

If you don't have riding gear ( helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants) that can get pricey. You can find most of it for 200 a piece. Gloves roll be the cheapest. But Christmas is right around the corner and most online retailers do gift cards.

I'm basically at 200/m for bike, gas and insurance.

If your new make sure you take the motorcycle safety foundation basic riders course.

I have a 100-150$ monthly budget for extra/fun stuff ranging from gear to bike parts. That usually amounts to 1 new toy a month :-D

Since your asking about cost, a motorcycle really won't save you money on gas because of the other expenses, unless you forgo a 4wheel vehicle completely. The exception to this is a 250cc size engine, with liability only coverage, and just a helmet. If you're just short commuting, like going to college it is great (which is what I did.) But the net effect of motorcycling is less money but way more fun!

Yamaha FZ-07 '15
Honda Shadow VT750DC '06 - for sale
Kawasaki Ninja 250r '08 - for sale
Previous Bikes:
Kawasaki Eliminator 125 '06

Good insight, thanks!

Yeah not trying to save money by riding. A fun way to travel but a hobby too. Just doing some working out - I go back to work soon after some time off so working out whether to go for it now or wait tip the end of the NJ winter giving me time to get some more money baked/some equipment purchased before the bike.

Patience has never been my forte :D

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

My money savings is very simple. The bike saves me from paying a therapist, bartender or lawyer when things get tough, the wife is complaining, kids are going crazy or someone is just plain pissing me off. When I'm on the bike it gives me an outlet so I don't feel the need for therapy, drinking or just pounding some guy's teeth in.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Global Moderator

If I was you and had the patients I would do what Cruizin did and wait until there was snow on the ground and then go to the dealer. I expect you would get a better deal than waiting for spring.

Avoid Cycle Gear, their stuff mostly sucks.

Why do you say that? I actually like that they are local (5 mins from my house) for when I need something today and they carry some good quality brands like Icon, Dainese, Alpinestars, etc. I was not able to get oil on Amazon via prime shipping so I ran over to CG to pick up some Motul Saturday - very convenient.

I partly agree their Bilt brand can be meh and I would generally stay away from it, but I have a Bilt helmet that is DOT certified and I quite like it. It's a tad noisy, but I've had worse.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Why do you say that? I actually like that they are local (5 mins from my house) for when I need something today and they carry some good quality brands like Icon, Dainese, Alpinestars, etc. I was not able to get oil on Amazon via prime shipping so I ran over to CG to pick up some Motul Saturday - very convenient.  
I partly agree their Bilt brand can be meh and I would generally stay away from it, but I have a Bilt helmet that is DOT certified and I quite like it. It's a tad noisy, but I've had worse.
Hell, I went to cycle gear to grab up my Dainese Carbon Cover ST's because they were local, I could try them on, and they were actually cheaper than Revzilla! 

First, I applaud you for having the wisdom to prepare a proper budget when considering your purchase. Second, take all that you plan for, add a little for "what ifs", and throw it out the window. Accept the fact that motorcycles = a life altering state that not only rebalances the universe but also manages to justify every penny you spend to prolong the euphoria. Think you're fine with a stock bike? Nope. Maybe a few add-ons? Nope. Buying just the essential gear to protect yourself and maybe provide minimal cargo capacity? Uhh...nope. There's a multi-billion dollar aftermarket industry to support the fact that riding is a sickness. There is no cure. The only known treatment is to empty your wallet now and continue to do so for the rest of your life.

My friend at a bilt helmet, split in two right down the middle during the accident. Luckily the damage wasn't too severe.

I pay 61 for insurance. Gear was about 380ish, shoei qwest (super cheap off of amazon!!), scorpion jacket, and axo gloves. Chain lube, cleaner, and brush was about 24. I am pretty frugal with it, so I'll most likely have to re-buy in about 3 months. Oil changes and such will depend on if a shop does it or yourself. I go to EDR Peformance unless its a simple oil change that I can do myself. I paid 150 for break in and DIY was about 10-15ish. A lot for a break in, but the shop is THE best in town and they guarantee free chain cleanings/tightening; over all adjustments whenever I need. Accessories for the bike is a big expense. Windscreen, frame sliders, etc. That will depend on what you want. I plan on putting about 200 over the course of 3 months into accessories for it. So all in all I paid 615 so far with the plans of an additional 200 for accessories and 10-15ish for the next oil change.

"I'm not reckless. I am incredibly skilled with a bit of flair."

HatGuysFriend
Good insight, thanks! 
Yeah not trying to save money by riding. A fun way to travel but a hobby too. Just doing some working out - I go back to work soon after some time off so working out whether to go for it now or wait tip the end of the NJ winter giving me time to get some more money baked/some equipment purchased before the bike.

Patience has never been my forte :D
If you can get a used bike now do it. It will be cheaper than in the spring. If its a new FZ then whenever. [/url]

Yamaha FZ-07 '15
Previous Bikes:

HatGuysFriend

Oh and since you wanted real figures. The FZ is EXPENSIVE to insure. I saw someone said they have full coverage for $37 but I find that term isn't very clear, because that doesn't necessarily mean they are getting uninsured or medical or even collision coverage. If I had all that it would cost me $170 a month, which is absurd. I pay $50 a month for comp and collision and thats it, and it took me forever to find that. My driving record is perfect. I pay $107 a month for the finance of the bike. I'm fortunately in the position I could just pay it off but the interest is so cheap I'd rather hold onto my money and invest it (like i even know how)

Average person drives 15k miles a year. So 1250 miles a month. Over a year I put about 25% of those miles on my bike, and I try to ride a lot but sometimes you just need a car. So you can guess your gas at 50mpg to be about $22 a month. You will buy tools and other stuff so looks like $200 a month to me..... dammit thats a lot. Worth it.

Yamaha FZ-07 '15
Previous Bikes:

• 6 months later...

Just so you sorta have a comparison get yourself an insurance Quote for the bike your thinking of and compare that to your car or if you don't have a car/truck then a cheap used Honda or Toyota around your price range used and see the difference. It's more than 50 dollars a month difference for me which makes it cheaper for me your milage will vary based off age and how much you'll ride and do to your bike.

Just trying to plan a little ahead in terms of finances so I can be realistic about getting the bike and looking after it. 
Excluding gas, how much per month do you guys usually put into your biking?

Insurance
Clothing
Maintenance
Security

etc?

Any guidance appreciated!

Cheers

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Insurance:
My insurance is $20/mo (YMMV).

Clothing:
I bought my motorcycle gear in the months prior to actually going motorcycle shopping but budgeting $70 should be fine. You should have a "New Helmet/Gear Fund" in case you get in a crash.

Maintenance:
$50-100 per month should cover most maintenance (Again not including a crash).

Security:
Buy a good disk lock or two ($200)

That should more than cover most of your expenses.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Find a liquidation  store... Gets u buy..259 with out some new jeans....found good dot rated helmet ebay 90/ that's with a reflection shield.extra....this is week 2 my miles are about 110 I didnt complety drain gas .afraid I might just stall out.lol.I have been breaking in bike 2nd 6tho rpm not pampering  it but not 70+ you know..I'm not getting but 47/48 miles per gallon..on good gas.normal ?  Any was 110 for my joe rocket jacket...69 for good boots.fill up 6.8 going on 2nd fill up.and after that 1st oil change...69$ then doing it my self 22$..   my full coverage is 760 a year

Archived